The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Captain Canuck

CanucksSayEh

For debates sake

Lets say the Canucks signed one, or all of, Nash Parise Weber and Doan. All former Captains and with the exception of Nash fairly accomplished with their teams.

Would you give any of them the C over Hank if they signed?

Doan - hard nosed Canadian vet

Parise - SCF finalist, intangibles of the charts

Weber - Home grown, instantly the best player on the team

Nash - Team Canada Gold medal, intimidating power forward

Hank - Current captain with the franchises most success under his reign, Longer resume than any above option.

Not to stirr up any Messier feelings............................

Interesting post, because it brings up a good thing to consider. A lot of these guys might like being the Captain of the team, and want to play somewhere that will allow them to take that role immediately/eventually. Hank give up his C to another player coming into the Canucks? Hell no. If he has to give up his C, it better be going to a guy who already has been a part of the team for a while. Probably not Kesler either, not sure he's cut out for it.

I could definitely see those guys wearing As behind Henrik, though.

For me the Kesler or Hank debate starts and ends with that LA series.

As players i would rank them

Weber

Sedin

Nash

Parise

Doan

Hard to say about "captain qualities", i can only go by what i see and hear but Parise and Doan seemed highly regarded by their teammates and fans.

I would stick with Hank until he does something stupid, very unlikely, or is well into declining and there is a younger star who's paid his dues ready to take charge.

I respect all those guys, but I would stick with Hank. He's been a Canucks for his entire career, so the players already know and respect him. Besides, it's not like having the C gives you exclusive leadership rights, it's more of a group thing.

For debates sake

Lets say the Canucks signed one, or all of, Nash Parise Weber and Doan. All former Captains and with the exception of Nash fairly accomplished with their teams.

Would you give any of them the C over Hank if they signed?

Doan - hard nosed Canadian vet

Parise - SCF finalist, intangibles of the charts

Weber - Home grown, instantly the best player on the team

Nash - Team Canada Gold medal, intimidating power forward

If I were to take it away from hank (which im not saying that i would be on board with, im unsure really) but i'd only give it to either doan or weber.

Doan because well.. do I even need to explain?

And Weber because he can be an agressive leader and he would lead our defense instantly as the OP said above.

But, even getting one of these guys to add to our team is amazing, they would be leaders because of thier personalities, they don;t need a C on thier sweaters to do that.

Archived