#1 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:31 PM

I read this article on

Detroithttp://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/free_agency/2012/07/05/detroit_red_wings_miss_on_big_free_agents/

I'll try and sum it up:

- Needs of Detroit after losing Brad Stuart (SJ), Nicklas Lidstrom (retired) and Jiri Hudler (Flamers).

- Matt Carle, "widely considered the 2012 UFA class’s blue line consolation prize", signing with TB.

- Their defensive situation since they...basically, "swung and missed out on all of the market’s best defensive talent."

- Not many options on free agent defense-men, "The free-agent pool is now wading-pool shallow on defencemen; the injury-prone Carlo Colaicovo, 29, or Chris Campoli, 27, might be the best of the rest."

- Improving their offense further after the acquisition of Jonas Gustavsson, Jordon Tootoo, and Mikael Samuelsson.

- Possibly going after Shane Doan, Alex Semin and Rick Nash

- "Unless the Red Wings can figure out a way to shore their blue line through trades -- we're looking at you, Jay Bouwmeester -- we could be looking a team that’s now offence first and offence second."

There might be only a few pickings left for Detroit and other teams who need defense-men and even less for realistic options on puck moving defense-men who can quarterback a PP.

If Ballard can come back to form (I liked what I saw last year) and AV lacking options with Rome gone, there should be a lot more interest in Ballard from other teams. He did put up 39 points as a rookie and his contract would now be considered very reasonable.

There's not many options out there and as the season moves on....so does Ballard's value, vertically.

Any thoughts on which teams would be in need to improve their PP (defense) or need to find a puck moving defense-men?

#2 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

POPULAR

Improving their offense further after the acquisition of Jonas Gustavsson, Jordon Tootoo, and Mikael Samuelsson.

how does Jonas Gustavsson improve their offence? I suppose he improves the opposition's offence by letting in goals.... but last time i checked gustavsson scores just about as frequently as the twins drop the gloves.

Edited by CanucksFanMike, 05 July 2012 - 12:35 PM.

Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#3 mau5trap

mau5trap

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:39 PM

Now that we don't have Rome, it's time for him to Dome !

Posted Image

#4 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:40 PM

Can't have 5 Defense man making over 4+ Million. Somethings gotta give.

#5 Ktakatch

Ktakatch

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

Is that a new rule we havent heard of yet?

#6 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,851 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:47 PM

Flyers 6 best dmen are making over 3.5m.

Edited by playboi19, 05 July 2012 - 12:48 PM.

Posted Image

#7 lumberman

lumberman

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

I agree, however what is the return for him?
Might wait till camp, see if any of the Wolves can make the jump and then deal him in a package for a pick and prospect, until then wait it out unless some one comes a calling. Ballard = bust
Posted Image

#8 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:51 PM

Is that a new rule we havent heard of yet?

Its called the salary cap, 4 mil is too much for a bottom pairing guy

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#9 Happy Gilmore

Happy Gilmore

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:54 PM

how does Jonas Gustavsson improve their offence? I suppose he improves the opposition's offence by letting in goals.... but last time i checked gustavsson scores just about as frequently as the twins drop the gloves.

And Tootoo for that matter.
"You find that you have peace of mind when you know that it was a 100% effort you gave, win or lose." -Gordie Howe

#10 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,412 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:56 PM

Detroit won't trade for J-Bo, but what of Weber? And what of Weber heading off to Edmonton for one of their many young star forwards?

The only thing that has Weber coming here is that he's a BC Boy. Just like Justin Schultz. Baaaaaaa!
Posted Image

#11 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:57 PM

HA I was going to say the same thing

and this

and this
July 7-2013

View Posttheminister, on 07 July 2013 - 03:48 AM, said:

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

View Postapollo, on 08 July 2013 - 10:30 AM, said:

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#12 Sanj

Sanj

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

I agree, however what is the return for him?
Might wait till camp, see if any of the Wolves can make the jump and then deal him in a package for a pick and prospect, until then wait it out unless some one comes a calling. Ballard = bust

I thought he played pretty well last year. Just needs to be given a fair shake. When he was paired with Tanev, that was an awesome pairing.

#13 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

I think we might see one or two guys earn their spots on the roster this year.... and we still have cap space to land someone for the top 6. Not to mention the pieces when a Lou trade transpires.

We could easily carry 5 defense-men making over 4+ million.

#14 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,180 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:01 PM

Its called the salary cap, 4 mil is too much for a bottom pairing guy

What is this salary cap you speak of, is that the one that had a 10million added to it?
Posted ImagePosted Image
Special thanks to Guava & Egatti !

#15 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:02 PM

I think we might see one or two guys earn their spots on the roster this year.... and we still have cap space to land someone for the top 6. Not to mention the pieces when a Lou trade transpires.

We could easily carry 5 defense-men making over 4+ million.

For sure, The Canucks will be carry 5 defense man making over 4+ million this year, but it's not wise in a long run. Wouldn't take it to next year, where you have to decide what to do with Edler. Eventually, your going to have to move one of them, and Ballards the odd man out, especially if he's still in AV's doghouse.

Then there are the guys who think the Canucks can land Weber next year. Well, then you are going to have a serious problem.

Edited by Rey, 05 July 2012 - 01:03 PM.

#16 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:03 PM

HA I was going to say the same thing

and this

and this

Apologies for the error, but it is 4am now in Shanghai....

And I did state near the top of the summary... "I'll try and sum it up:". Try being the key word here.

#17 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:12 PM

For sure, The Canucks will be carry 5 defense man making over 4+ million this year, but it's not wise in a long run. Wouldn't take it to next year, where you have to decide what to do with Edler. Eventually, your going to have to move one of them, and Ballards the odd man out, especially if he's still in AV's doghouse.

Then there are the guys who think the Canucks can land Weber next year. Well, then you are going to have a serious problem.

But, my point was that I think MG will get some real value from trading Ballard....and that should increase as the options get slimmer. So if MG gets what he wants for Ballard, we won't have to worry about signing Edler cause Ballard's cap is gone.

#18 mabbott

mabbott

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

just wondering when the bubbles gonna burst on the over inflation of salaries. CBA battle shud be interesting but from what it sounds like we shouldn't miss much hockey

#19 It's Bieksa's Fault

It's Bieksa's Fault

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:48 PM

A third of the cap for a third of the team; sounds alright to me.

#20 Thunder Bunnies

Thunder Bunnies

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:54 PM

I'm really excited for Ballard now because he was arguably our best d-man during the playoffs vs the Kings. Now that Rome's gone, AV won't be using him as often so that means Ballard should be seeing more ice time. I really think Ballard can be that top-4 defensemen we've been expecting ever since he was traded here.

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Garrison
Ballard - Tanev

or Tanev can play with Edler, I expect a real big step from Tanev this year with the departure of Salo, he may be used more if needed since we're short on right-handed shooters.

#21 Nucks-4-Life

Nucks-4-Life

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

Weber is probably looking at Suter's contract and expecting to get 20-30% more than he did.

So Weber's cap hit is going to be around 9 million?

Salaries are getting out of control.

#22 Bo Horvat

Bo Horvat

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

Ballard needs to be given a chance to play here before we even think of dealing him. He could be more valuable to us if he can be effective as opposed to just trading him away. I'm not sure he could net that great of a return anyway.
Posted Image

#23 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

Yet they still have a mediocre defence....but half of their goals against shoud fall on the shoulders of their horrible goaltending.
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#24 menace

menace

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:59 PM

I thought of Jim Morrison when you posted mojo rising. Thanks for the Doors reminder!.

#25 MLT

MLT

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

POPULAR

apparently none of you watched Ballard last year.. When not injured he was performing quite well. I thought he was one of our best dmen in the playoffs.

Sick of him being a scapegoat just because of the cap hit. You people need to actually start watching him play rather than just looking at the numbers.

You should all want him to stay. A solid number 5 d man is the difference between cup contention and cup winning. Especially if someone goes down.

Edited by MLT, 05 July 2012 - 02:01 PM.

Posted Image

#26 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:06 PM

I want to see Ballard given another shot, this time 20 games MAX. We've been patient with him, we've seen flashes of brilliance but nothing that warrants his contract. He's a solid 5th defenseman regardless.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#27 RIPRYP

RIPRYP

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

Detroit won't trade for J-Bo, but what of Weber? And what of Weber heading off to Edmonton for one of their many young star forwards?

The only thing that has Weber coming here is that he's a BC Boy. Just like Justin Schultz. Baaaaaaa!

TOML??

RIP to the BEST pound for pound fighter the NHL has ever seen. Will be missed.

#28 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:30 PM

Ballard needs go get another chance. After he stepped up and played some of his best hockey in years late in the season. We've seen a season of struggle and one with injury mostly. For the crap his current status would enable to bring back in a trade isn't worth it yet. Knowing the potential that's there.
© 2000, 2014 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

Posted Image

#29 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

If a quality right shooting dman was offered in trade, I would trade Ballard but other than that I would see what he can do. The guy had some bad luck injury wise and this coming season could see him back in form now that he has had time to heal and train. I am looking for a big year from Balard....and I do love those hip checks.
Besides, with a shortage of dmen on the market, where are you going to find a replacement if you trade him?

#30 Darius71

Darius71

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:08 PM

Ballard looked solid last year in the playoffs....every time Ballard farts people talk about it and criticize him...look how much leeway Bieksa gets.

Lets give the guy a chance this year. He skates well, usually makes a decent first pass out of the zone and isnt afraid to drop the gloves.

The D is pretty solid right now, Gillis needs to shore up the top 6 and the third line center position.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.