The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ballard's mojo rising

nuck luck

I read this article on

Detroithttp://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/free_agency/2012/07/05/detroit_red_wings_miss_on_big_free_agents/

I'll try and sum it up:

- Needs of Detroit after losing Brad Stuart (SJ), Nicklas Lidstrom (retired) and Jiri Hudler (Flamers).

- Matt Carle, "widely considered the 2012 UFA class’s blue line consolation prize", signing with TB.

- Their defensive situation since they...basically, "swung and missed out on all of the market’s best defensive talent."

- Not many options on free agent defense-men, "The free-agent pool is now wading-pool shallow on defencemen; the injury-prone Carlo Colaicovo, 29, or Chris Campoli, 27, might be the best of the rest."

- Improving their offense further after the acquisition of Jonas Gustavsson, Jordon Tootoo, and Mikael Samuelsson.

- Possibly going after Shane Doan, Alex Semin and Rick Nash

- "Unless the Red Wings can figure out a way to shore their blue line through trades -- we're looking at you, Jay Bouwmeester -- we could be looking a team that’s now offence first and offence second."

There might be only a few pickings left for Detroit and other teams who need defense-men and even less for realistic options on puck moving defense-men who can quarterback a PP.

If Ballard can come back to form (I liked what I saw last year) and AV lacking options with Rome gone, there should be a lot more interest in Ballard from other teams. He did put up 39 points as a rookie and his contract would now be considered very reasonable.

There's not many options out there and as the season moves on....so does Ballard's value, vertically.

Any thoughts on which teams would be in need to improve their PP (defense) or need to find a puck moving defense-men?

I agree, however what is the return for him?

Might wait till camp, see if any of the Wolves can make the jump and then deal him in a package for a pick and prospect, until then wait it out unless some one comes a calling. Ballard = bust

I think we might see one or two guys earn their spots on the roster this year.... and we still have cap space to land someone for the top 6. Not to mention the pieces when a Lou trade transpires.

We could easily carry 5 defense-men making over 4+ million.

For sure, The Canucks will be carry 5 defense man making over 4+ million this year, but it's not wise in a long run. Wouldn't take it to next year, where you have to decide what to do with Edler. Eventually, your going to have to move one of them, and Ballards the odd man out, especially if he's still in AV's doghouse.

Then there are the guys who think the Canucks can land Weber next year. Well, then you are going to have a serious problem.

I'm really excited for Ballard now because he was arguably our best d-man during the playoffs vs the Kings. Now that Rome's gone, AV won't be using him as often so that means Ballard should be seeing more ice time. I really think Ballard can be that top-4 defensemen we've been expecting ever since he was traded here.

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Ballard - Tanev

or Tanev can play with Edler, I expect a real big step from Tanev this year with the departure of Salo, he may be used more if needed since we're short on right-handed shooters.

Archived