The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ballard's mojo rising

nuck luck

Detroit won't trade for J-Bo, but what of Weber? And what of Weber heading off to Edmonton for one of their many young star forwards?

The only thing that has Weber coming here is that he's a BC Boy. Just like Justin Schultz. Baaaaaaa!

Detroit won't trade for J-Bo, but what of Weber? And what of Weber heading off to Edmonton for one of their many young star forwards?

The only thing that has Weber coming here is that he's a BC Boy. Just like Justin Schultz. Baaaaaaa!

Ballard, in my opinion, is a decent player...he's high risk/high reward type, and for whatever reason, for AV, that's acceptable for guys like Edler and Bieksa, but not so for Ballard. I don't get that, but AV's been criticized for that to nauseam, so I'll refrain from doing so myself.

Until Ballard got to Vancouver, he was a top four guy, playing lots of minutes and in all situations. Granted, he didn't take full advantage of assuming the vacancy created by Erhoff's departure as I had thought he would, I think he's capable of providing more on a consistent basis (more offence, better defensive zone coverage, more hits, and more ice time).

I think his hip injury from two years ago really set him back and he may have lost half a step to his overall game because of it. I remember him having better wheels and throwing better/more solid hip checks when he was a 'Yote. In today's NHL, that half step is a difference maker...but he looked like he was rounding back into form last season (too bad for the concussion he suffered).

Ballard is 30 now, so it's now or never for him. If he's a third pairing, then I think the Canucks have to make a move...but I think he's capable of moving up and down to/from the top 4 (insurance for injuries), and if he plays well enough to deserve this, I'll be glad to have him on the roster.

But if he takes a full swing at Schneider or any of the goalies and cuts them open like he did to Vokoun, then he goes on everyone's s-list.

apparently none of you watched Ballard last year.. When not injured he was performing quite well. I thought he was one of our best dmen in the playoffs.

Sick of him being a scapegoat just because of the cap hit. You people need to actually start watching him play rather than just looking at the numbers.

You should all want him to stay. A solid number 5 d man is the difference between cup contention and cup winning. Especially if someone goes down.

Archived