The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ballard's mojo rising

nuck luck

Ballard needs to be given a chance to play here before we even think of dealing him. He could be more valuable to us if he can be effective as opposed to just trading him away. I'm not sure he could net that great of a return anyway.

apparently none of you watched Ballard last year.. When not injured he was performing quite well. I thought he was one of our best dmen in the playoffs.

Sick of him being a scapegoat just because of the cap hit. You people need to actually start watching him play rather than just looking at the numbers.

You should all want him to stay. A solid number 5 d man is the difference between cup contention and cup winning. Especially if someone goes down.

Detroit won't trade for J-Bo, but what of Weber? And what of Weber heading off to Edmonton for one of their many young star forwards?

The only thing that has Weber coming here is that he's a BC Boy. Just like Justin Schultz. Baaaaaaa!

Ballard needs go get another chance. After he stepped up and played some of his best hockey in years late in the season. We've seen a season of struggle and one with injury mostly. For the crap his current status would enable to bring back in a trade isn't worth it yet. Knowing the potential that's there.

If a quality right shooting dman was offered in trade, I would trade Ballard but other than that I would see what he can do. The guy had some bad luck injury wise and this coming season could see him back in form now that he has had time to heal and train. I am looking for a big year from Balard....and I do love those hip checks.

Besides, with a shortage of dmen on the market, where are you going to find a replacement if you trade him?

Ballard looked solid last year in the playoffs....every time Ballard farts people talk about it and criticize him...look how much leeway Bieksa gets.

Lets give the guy a chance this year. He skates well, usually makes a decent first pass out of the zone and isnt afraid to drop the gloves.

The D is pretty solid right now, Gillis needs to shore up the top 6 and the third line center position.

Your not wrong at all!

However, even though Garrison is big, he is not in the conversation of beast like, difficult to play against big ugly defenceman. This is a component that is still very much a need for the Canucks.

And Ballard brings similar skills to other D we have in the fold but falls in as the 3rd pairing left guy. He could still be moved.

Or he could be a rushing D complimented by Garrison, who is more a stay at home guy? That is also a worthwhile thought???

:bigblush:

apparently none of you watched Ballard last year.. When not injured he was performing quite well. I thought he was one of our best dmen in the playoffs.

Sick of him being a scapegoat just because of the cap hit. You people need to actually start watching him play rather than just looking at the numbers.

You should all want him to stay. A solid number 5 d man is the difference between cup contention and cup winning. Especially if someone goes down.

I'm hoping we'll be able to see Ballard develop some chemistry with Tanev and that they'll be the sick pairing we know they can be. Hopefully AV will gain some confidence in Ballard and we'll see Ballard bloom with more ice time.

Ballard and Tanev had chemistry in the past. They're good together. Makes a decent third pairing. This lineup still can't absorb injuries very well so nobody is being moved out unless we're bringing back at least a journeyman D.

Ballard looked solid last year in the playoffs....every time Ballard farts people talk about it and criticize him...look how much leeway Bieksa gets.

Lets give the guy a chance this year. He skates well, usually makes a decent first pass out of the zone and isnt afraid to drop the gloves.

The D is pretty solid right now, Gillis needs to shore up the top 6 and the third line center position.

I dunno. I'm not high on Bieksa, but he's playing with Hamhuis and that we need some toughness on the backend, so i can't complain. I'm perfectly fine with keeping Ballard, but he needs to be a regular. You can't have AV sitting him but for a 4 million dollar man to be on a 3rd pair. If the opportunity came. I'd pay 4 Million + Ballard's 4 for a top defense man since in the playoffs. It's mainly the top 4 that log in the most minutes in the playoffs. I'm sure you can find a defensive defense man for cheaper than 4 Million that can do fine, playing 10-15 minutes in a playoff game. Tanev is one, you just need another one.

So yeah, I hate doing these proposal type things, but essentially I'd be ecstatic if the Canucks can pull a

Weber Edler

Garrison Hamhuis

Tanev

- These guys are all still young, and the Canucks would have the best D for a decade. With Schneider in net, the only thing that the Canucks need to worry about is the forward group and this is for the damn decade.

Call me crazy, but i don't think its out of the question. I would not trade Edler, because I don't think he's too far off Weber. Taking out a top defense man and removing one, doesn't make the team significantly better. Bieksa has a NTC, so it's a pipe dream. Do I have a problem with paying Edler 6+ Million? Nope. Weber? 9+ Million? Overpaid, sure but it's what you have to do. Pay your top guys big dollars because they can get it done. You don't pay a guy 4 million to be a 3rd pair, or 3rd or 4th liner. It's about using the cap to your advantage and as efficient as possible.

what can we get for Ballard? (If Tatar can be included in the package to come back that would be sick, then just sign Colaiacovo to fill the 3rd pairing).

Also, to the people saying Weber, I can't imagine Nashville letting him go to another divisional rival, plus they have so much cap space that they would be out of their minds to not match the deal, if not sign him back.

Archived