Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Dale Weise files for salary arbitration

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
98 replies to this topic

#1 canux4ever

canux4ever

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

I was just reading the province and saw this.

This is the way it was supposed to be.
In his seventh game with the Vancouver Canucks last season after being claimed off waivers from the New York Rangers on Oct. 4, grinding winger Dale Weise scored his first NHL goal on a line with Maxim Lapierre and Aaron Volpatti by tipping home an Alex Edler shot. At that point, it appeared the Canucks had finally found a fourth-line solution.
However, Volpatti would require shoulder surgery, Lapierre would be required to play different roles and Weise would slip from early season promise to score just three more times in 68 regular-season games while earning $605,000 US at the NHL level on his two-way deal. And when it mattered most, he appeared in just two of five playoff games. Yet, the 23-year-old restricted free agent hasn't come to terms on a new contract and filed for arbitration Thursday to again add fuel to the fire that the fourth line could still be a mix of size, skill and hopefully enough will when his situation is resolved. And the curiosity of where Zack Kassian fits into it all will be another sideshow.
With two years of required professional experience, Weise is filing for obvious reasons. Even though he didn't have a great season, salaries of grinders have escalated — Tanner Glass getting $1.1 million from Pittsburgh and Darcy Hordichuk re-signing in Edmonton for $850,000 — so he's in line for a raise if it gets to that stage. Yet most players who file settle before the process and that happened with Mason Raymond and Jannik Hansen, although the club is taking Raymond to arbitration.
"I'm not surprised that he filed," Canucks assistant general manage Laurence Gilman said of Weise. "It's part of the ordinary course of business today. As a player, when you look at the landscape of contracts that have been signed by other players with other teams, I'm not shocked by it."
If Weise's agent Allain Roy and the Canucks can't come to terms, an arbiter will settle the issue and that could set options into motion, but Weise can't receive less than 85 per cent of his previous salary. The Canucks could walk away and the winger would become an unrestricted free agent. But if the club elects a one-year arbitration, then Weise becomes a UFA at end of the term. The club can also elect a two-year term.
Weise's decision comes on the same day the Canucks were expected to officially announce that free agent depth defenceman Derek Joslin will be on a two-way contract next season that pays $700,000 at the NHL level and $105,000 in the minors. With the free-agent departures of Sami Salo and Aaron Rome and not qualifying Marc-Andre Gragnani, there's a need to bolster the ranks and the restricted free agent could slot into the eighth hole behind Andrew Alberts.
"We've typically carried eight defencemen and we have some good ones coming up," added Gilman. "You need as many as possible and we think Derek is a good blend of grit and brings a physical presence and will challenge for a spot."
Joslin, 25, has played 114 NHL games with San Jose and Carolina and had four points (2-2) in 44 games with the Hurricanes last season. The 6-foot-1, 210 pound Richmond Hill, Ont. native was selected 149th overall by the Sharks in the 2005 draft. Joslin's agent, Anton Thun, believes his client will give the Canucks what they're looking for in a defensive defenceman who can move the puck and play physically.
"He plays a clean and aggressive game," said Thun. "He moves the puck out of the zone well and isn't a back-end guy who's going to be rushing the puck up the ice all the time. But he's got the ability to go back in the zone and make the first pass and he likes to play the body. He will fight if that happens but he's not John Scott in terms of dropping the gloves.
"At this point in his career, he's a depth guy and can play a little bit of every way and if that's what Vancouver is looking for, it will serve both parties well."
Meanwhile, the fourth line has much depth but more confusion. After all, Volpatti has re-signed. So have Steve Pinizzotto and Andrew Ebbett. Victor Oreskovich wasn't qualified and Byron Bitz, Mike Duco and Mark Mancari remain unrestricted free agents. The Canucks were crushed in five games by the Los Angeles Kings and their fourth line in the season finale was Manny Malhotra between Raymond and Weise. Lapierre was on the second line with Ryan Kesler and Alex Burrows. With Weise back on the scene the picture will be cloudy. It will be up to him to clear it up.
OF NOTE — The Canucks have also signed defenceman Patrick Mullen, 27, to add organizational depth. He had 20 points (3-17) last season with the AHL Manchester Monarchs. The Pittsburgh native also appeared in seven playoff games as is expected to play for the Chicago Wolves.

bkuzma@theprovince.com

Read more: http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz1znfE7rjK

What are your guys's thoughts on this? Do you think he should get a raise?

Sorry if it has been posted, I didn't see anything.
Posted Image

#2 Ryanstorm

Ryanstorm

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:11 PM

Ben Kuzma@benkuzma

With grinder salaries rising, Canucks assistant GM Gilman not shocked Weise has filed for arbitration. Part of process, deal still possible.

Thoughts?

mine..
Like he played THAT big of a role for us part time.
I say peace, Volpatti is good enough for me.

10n8i06.jpg

#3 Guest_BuckFoston_*

Guest_BuckFoston_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:12 PM

Hahaha, this guy actually thinks he is worth more than the upper 6 figures he is getting. Seriously dude, you are getting paid 600,000 to score 4 goals. Never thought he was THAT instrumental in the lineup and now he's a confirmed douche, ordinary course of business or otherwise.

Edited by BuckFoston, 05 July 2012 - 06:12 PM.

#4 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:12 PM

Weise was in and out of the lineup, his fourth line spot was kinda taken by Kass after the CoHo trade... he deserves about $600 K - $700 K tops

Edited by CanucksFanMike, 05 July 2012 - 06:13 PM.

Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#5 Ryanstorm

Ryanstorm

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:13 PM

Sorry as I was getting this together someone else posted. lol my bad.

10n8i06.jpg

#6 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,701 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:15 PM

He's a vital piece of the lineup, I'll be shocked if he is awarded less than a mil.
* or settles for

:lol:

Edited by A1 CANUCK, 05 July 2012 - 06:15 PM.

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#7 kurtis

kurtis

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:16 PM

Weise was in and out of the lineup, his fourth line spot was kinda taken by Kass after the CoHo trade... he deserves about $600 K - $700 K tops

Psh, Can't even buy a nice house in Vancouver for that! he needs more!
Posted Image

#8 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:17 PM

Best option to come out of that 4th line revolving door. Solid rookie prospect. He's still very young and was a stud in the AHL, scored some sweet goals vs quality teams and tenders, good size and speed, not a great fighter but will take the beating if he has too, definitely want to see him back

#9 Thirty Niner

Thirty Niner

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:18 PM

This guy can't even win a fight for us and he wants more than Rypien made. Release him he sucks.

#10 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:20 PM

Wow. You guys are absolutely vilifying a player for using one of his RFA rights.

But from a board that wants to boo Justin Schultz, I'm not surprised.

zuhwS.gif

#11 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:20 PM

As i said in the other thread

Best option to come out of that 4th line revolving door. Solid rookie prospect. He's still very young and was a stud in the AHL, scored some sweet goals vs quality teams and tenders, good size and speed, not a great fighter but will take the beating if he has too, definitely want to see him back

#12 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:21 PM

Man, Weise takes a lot of abuse for a rookie.
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#13 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,050 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:27 PM

How dare he?! :emot-parrot: JK

but seriously, no loss here if we lose him.

Volpatti and Pinozotto can battle for his spot.

#14 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

Just let him go. I would rather re-sign Bitz and let him battle it out between him, Volpatti, and Pinizzotto. Kassian will also be in the mix as well.

#15 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:37 PM

He's easily replaceable. Give the job to Volpatti or any of the other of the grinders willing to play for cheaper.

#16 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,311 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:40 PM

Did you guys complain this much (or call him a douche) when Hansen filed for arbitration? Not saying they're comparable in value, but just because a player files for arbitration doesn't really mean anything. It's his right as a RFA.

FWYIerW.png

#17 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,401 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:40 PM

Oreskovich_v2.

#18 Grape

Grape

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:42 PM

Dale Weise is no Oreskovich, he actually has had points and fits well on our team. He has become my favourite bottom line player on the Nucks
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image  
Signature Credit to Vintage Canuck!

Don't Click!

#19 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:44 PM

His qualifying offer was one-year, one-way at $665,000. That's already an overpayment.

Posted Image

#20 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,591 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:44 PM

Not bad for a no talent goon who is "useless"
I rather lose with the Canucks, than win with any other team

This is OUR year

GO CANUCKS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!

#21 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:45 PM

How dare he?! :emot-parrot: JK

but seriously, no loss here if we lose him.

Volpatti and Pinozotto can battle for his spot.

Two guys that don't belong in the NHL.

Beautiful.
Posted Image

#22 Alf

Alf

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:45 PM

I was just reading the province and saw this.
[size=4]

What are your guys's thoughts on this? Do you think he should get a raise?

Sorry if it has been posted, I didn't see anything.

He was soft and ineffective. Cut him loose and give one of the other guys like Duco or Pinnizotto a shot.

Posted Image Posted Image

#23 Nancouver

Nancouver

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

Would prefer to see bitz or volpatti in the line up

#24 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,028 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:47 PM

Let him walk, he's just a jersey filler!

#25 Raiun

Raiun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

Because only all-stars are allowed to ask for more money!

Weise isn't bad for a fourth liner, maybe has some potential to take a spot on the third line if he can improve his game. He's also making a really low amount for a 4th line grinder, even if he is still kind of a rookie. Don't blame him for this at all.

Relax, guys. Not as if he's asking for Parise money. If he's looking to be bumped up to a mil or so, that's pretty reasonable for the position he plays and his skill level.

#26 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,902 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

With what the executives make it's not even worth their time in terms of salary to deal with an extra 50 or 100k for Wiese. Give him 15% and see if he makes the roster from what might be a very competitive training camp.

Wasn't Wiese waived by the Rangers in October? The Canucks' saved him from obscurity, he should be grateful.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#27 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:56 PM

Weise scored all his goals vs playoff teams and had some very good shifts putting the pressure on LA in our series. He was more consistent than Kassian, rarely if ever made any costly gaffes and was willing to take a punch.

Weise > Volpatti, Bitz

#28 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,701 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

I honestly wouldn't mind Weise for around 800k (my guess on what he'll be awarded).

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#29 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

Hahaha, this guy actually thinks he is worth more than the upper 6 figures he is getting. Seriously dude, you are getting paid 600,000 to score 4 goals. Never thought he was THAT instrumental in the lineup and now he's a confirmed douche, ordinary course of business or otherwise.

Are you kidding me? The kid is exercising his rights...there's nothing wrong with that. The team has lots of options throughout the entire process, so conversely, if the Canucks management decides to kick him to the curb does it make them the same?

I'm neither pro-management nor pro-players when it comes to labor relations (I just want to see good hockey), but these basic fundamental rights that are embedded into the negotiation process is a good thing.

One perspective of looking at the CBA is that it is a mechanism that protects the owners from their own General Managers (after all, who is really driving up salary prices in the NHL? For the summer of 2012, can someone say Feaster? Fletcher?)...one of the by-products is that it defines rights and obligations for players and owners. Was it a bad thing that the Canucks management is taking Raymond to arbitration? I'd say no. Same goes for Wiese. Good on him and his Agent.

#30 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:05 PM

Best fourth liner we had after volpatti broke.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.