The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dale Weise files for salary arbitration

canux4ever

I was just reading the province and saw this.

What are your guys's thoughts on this? Do you think he should get a raise?

Sorry if it has been posted, I didn't see anything.

Because only all-stars are allowed to ask for more money!

Weise isn't bad for a fourth liner, maybe has some potential to take a spot on the third line if he can improve his game. He's also making a really low amount for a 4th line grinder, even if he is still kind of a rookie. Don't blame him for this at all.

Relax, guys. Not as if he's asking for Parise money. If he's looking to be bumped up to a mil or so, that's pretty reasonable for the position he plays and his skill level.

With what the executives make it's not even worth their time in terms of salary to deal with an extra 50 or 100k for Wiese. Give him 15% and see if he makes the roster from what might be a very competitive training camp.

Wasn't Wiese waived by the Rangers in October? The Canucks' saved him from obscurity, he should be grateful.

Hahaha, this guy actually thinks he is worth more than the upper 6 figures he is getting. Seriously dude, you are getting paid 600,000 to score 4 goals. Never thought he was THAT instrumental in the lineup and now he's a confirmed douche, ordinary course of business or otherwise.

Guest BuckFoston

All these "he is exercising his rights" posts. Haha. I have a lot of rights. I can sue people for the most arbitrary reasons. I can walk around with a gun. I can shoot your dog if it comes on my property. I can buy a bunch of stuff and then return it and be an a-hole about it even if there is nothing wrong and I just changed my mind. Hey, it's my right.

And the guy who thinks you can't buy a nice place with 700K should probably give us an idea of what he thinks a nice house is. In the current market you can get a million dollar house for half the price, even less. That and the guy is 23 years old. A great age for mismanaging your finances.

I prefer the other physical depth guys in our system, Volpatti and Pinizzotto, particularly the fact that they have signed two-way contracts. I was surprised when the Canucks picked Weise up last season - I thought he'd see less ice-time and be a temporary fill due to injuries He is physical, gets around the ice, does is job defensively, but his puck skills leave a lot to be desired and his awareness relative to his linemates...not so sure about that. I liked the way he stepped up in Boston - he is obviously a good teammate - but I'm not big on the idea of him having a one way contract, when other guys easily as talented as him, including Ebbett, recognize the depth the Canucks have, are prepared to compete to stay on the roster, and have signed two way deals. With guys like Bitz, Kostopolous, etc out there, Weise isn't irreplaceable. Mancari is probably the most skilled of the big fourth line UFA guys - and in his short stint last year, he downright intimidated guys - I'm hoping he re-signs with Vancouver.

I'm guessing the people who are complaining about him asking for a raise are also people who don't work.

I make more money than alot of people doing the same job in my industry, that doesn't stop me from asking for a raise every year.

Filled his position quite well when Volpatti went out with his injury. Weise pretty much became the lone fighter who was willing on a consistent basis to drop the gloves. he isn't the best fighter, but he definetly is a team player and does a good job of standing up for his teammates. He can handle himself against the big boys...

He wasn't brought in to put up points, dont know what expectations you have but from what I can remember we brought him in for grit and fighting responsibilities who has good hockey IQ who can also play the game.

Anything less than 900K and Im happy with him back.

All these "he is exercising his rights" posts. Haha. I have a lot of rights. I can sue people for the most arbitrary reasons. I can walk around with a gun. I can shoot your dog if it comes on my property. I can buy a bunch of stuff and then return it and be an a-hole about it even if there is nothing wrong and I just changed my mind. Hey, it's my right.

And the guy who thinks you can't buy a nice place with 700K should probably give us an idea of what he thinks a nice house is. In the current market you can get a million dollar house for half the price, even less. That and the guy is 23 years old. A great age for mismanaging your finances.

I heard this saying once.....

"ask for more, more often."

Getting further along in life is a good thing.

You may think you know the collective pro athlete. But you don't know Dale Weise. You have know idea what his life outside of hockey involves or his family's life outside of hockey.

I get it. Greed sucks. Materialism is an ugly trait. A quaint mobile home on a peaceful property could be paradise.

But you just sound ignorant and petulant right now.

Archived