The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dale Weise files for salary arbitration

canux4ever

Who gives a flying fuNck if he makes $665K or $900K. There has been some bigger salary issues in this league and even on this team... If 900K or something makes him happy and gives him that morale boost we can use, then why not. Big money for the real world, but not the NHL.

Ps. What a laugh these Wiese is greedy, he sucks -post gave me. Salute!

I prefer the other physical depth guys in our system, Volpatti and Pinizzotto, particularly the fact that they have signed two-way contracts. I was surprised when the Canucks picked Weise up last season - I thought he'd see less ice-time and be a temporary fill due to injuries He is physical, gets around the ice, does is job defensively, but his puck skills leave a lot to be desired and his awareness relative to his linemates...not so sure about that. I liked the way he stepped up in Boston - he is obviously a good teammate - but I'm not big on the idea of him having a one way contract, when other guys easily as talented as him, including Ebbett, recognize the depth the Canucks have, are prepared to compete to stay on the roster, and have signed two way deals. With guys like Bitz, Kostopolous, etc out there, Weise isn't irreplaceable. Mancari is probably the most skilled of the big fourth line UFA guys - and in his short stint last year, he downright intimidated guys - I'm hoping he re-signs with Vancouver.

All these "he is exercising his rights" posts. Haha. I have a lot of rights. I can sue people for the most arbitrary reasons. I can walk around with a gun. I can shoot your dog if it comes on my property. I can buy a bunch of stuff and then return it and be an a-hole about it even if there is nothing wrong and I just changed my mind. Hey, it's my right.

And the guy who thinks you can't buy a nice place with 700K should probably give us an idea of what he thinks a nice house is. In the current market you can get a million dollar house for half the price, even less. That and the guy is 23 years old. A great age for mismanaging your finances.

You guys act as if ALL the money they're going to give Weise is coming out of your pockets. I seriously doubt he's going to make more than $1 million/season. Hardly a substantial raise when the cap is $70.2 million.

You don't like it? Stop giving the Canucks money. Simple as that.

I have no problem at all with Weise going to arbitration - nothing wrong with asking an independent third party to help resolve an issue - but the problem for Weise is that this is not a binding process, and it is probably a mistake to make this move at this point in his career. What he lacks is leverage to do this - when it comes to the guys he was competing with - Volpatti, Pinnizotto, Mancari, Bitz, Duco, Oreskovich (and righ now, every other UFA on the market) he does not stand out - to say the least - and nothing in particular about his game does - he has pretty much average fourth line qualities across the board, and certainly no more upside than that. He is 23 but he will never be Chris Neil. I like Weise, but honestly, the other guys on that list who have re-signed did so on a two-way deal. He was already better positioned than any other depth guy, having been qualified (to a one way deal, which if I were GM, I probably wouldn't have). He was taken off waivers to play on a contender - he probably just got himself back on the UFA market - he may make more money elsewhere and good for him if he does (who knows what his personal financial situation is), but with Garrison just signing leaving money on the table (yes I know there is a big difference between 4.6 and 700k), Burrows making less than half his value, the entire blueline below market value, the Sedins... well you know what I am getting at. Risky career move by Weise/agent.

Weise is not a goon. He is a very young and productive 4th line player who tries to stand up for his tea mates when he can.

Geez CDC, name a 4th liner that you actually like who isn't an agitator or goon.

I have no problem at all with Weise going to arbitration - nothing wrong with asking an independent third party to help resolve an issue - but the problem for Weise is that this is not a binding process, and it is probably a mistake to make this move at this point in his career. What he lacks is leverage to do this - when it comes to the guys he was competing with - Volpatti, Pinnizotto, Mancari, Bitz, Duco, Oreskovich (and righ now, every other UFA on the market) he does not stand out - to say the least - and nothing in particular about his game does - he has pretty much average fourth line qualities across the board, and certainly no more upside than that.

Archived