The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dale Weise files for salary arbitration

canux4ever

700-800K seems fair. He was decent last year. I wouldn't be sad if we lost him but I'd like to see another season from him. He has a good combination of speed, size and grit. If he can get a little bit tougher, develop more offensive awareness and start to kill penalties he could become a solid 3rd line guy.

Weise is still young and I feel he could be a breakout player any season now. He's showed he has some skill and potential to be a great powerforward with some of the goals he scored, notably the one against Ottawa. 4th line plugs like Tanner Glass can't pull off a move like that.

Hopefully we get to keep him for under a million, around the 700K range sounds fair.

All these "he is exercising his rights" posts. Haha. I have a lot of rights. I can sue people for the most arbitrary reasons. I can walk around with a gun. I can shoot your dog if it comes on my property. I can buy a bunch of stuff and then return it and be an a-hole about it even if there is nothing wrong and I just changed my mind. Hey, it's my right.

And the guy who thinks you can't buy a nice place with 700K should probably give us an idea of what he thinks a nice house is. In the current market you can get a million dollar house for half the price, even less. That and the guy is 23 years old. A great age for mismanaging your finances.

I really like Weise. Remember when he injured that player from edmonton? Not saying an injury is something to cheer for, but the fact that he hits that hard is a good thing. It was a clean shoulder check.

Stop hating Canuck fans. This and the countless negative panic threads really make me hate CDC. Cheer the frack up it's summer.

All these "he is exercising his rights" posts. Haha. I have a lot of rights. I can sue people for the most arbitrary reasons. I can walk around with a gun. I can shoot your dog if it comes on my property. I can buy a bunch of stuff and then return it and be an a-hole about it even if there is nothing wrong and I just changed my mind. Hey, it's my right.

And the guy who thinks you can't buy a nice place with 700K should probably give us an idea of what he thinks a nice house is. In the current market you can get a million dollar house for half the price, even less. That and the guy is 23 years old. A great age for mismanaging your finances.

He has the right to salary arbitration just like every other player; whether it goes his way is another matter, but that isn't the point. He's not going to break the bank here guys, it's only going to be a matter of about 200k. Which to us is a **** ton of cash, but in the cap world, nothing. Besides, look at what they make after taxes, and they make half. Sure they are still rich and living the dream, but they are not playboy rich (at least not on the contracts below 2 mill), just average rich.

(And no this is not coming from a rich person; I am a poor poor student.)

We can replace him easily if the arbitration amount is too high. Having said that, I wouldn't mind having him back next year. He was decent in his grinder role, and remember he's only a rookie. I would like to see how much he can improve next year. I know people are complaining about his fighting skills, but this isn't boxing or UFC, winning fights doesn't usually help you win the game. The most important thing is that you show up and stand up for your teammates, which he did.

Archived