30 replies to this topic

#1 dudeone

dudeone

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:56 PM

Rand Paul Fetal Personhood Amendment Stalls Flood Insurance Bill (UPDATE)

Posted: 06/26/2012 3:04 pm Updated: 06/26/2012 6:06 pm

http://www.huffingto..._n_1628128.html

Posted Image

WASHINGTON -- Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) moved this week to hold a noncontroversial flood insurance bill hostage until the Senate agrees that life begins at fertilization.

The bill, which would financially boost the National Flood Insurance Program on the cusp of hurricane season, had been expected to pass easily in the Senate. But since Paul on Monday offered an unrelated "fetal personhood" amendment, which would give legal protections to fetuses from the moment of fertilization, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) is threatening to halt progress on the legislation.
"I'm told last night that one of our Republican senators wants to offer an amendment -- listen to this one -- wants to offer an amendment on when life begins," Reid said on the Senate floor Tuesday. "I am not going to put up with that on flood insurance. I can be condemned by outside sources; my friends can say, 'Let them have a vote on it.' There will not be a vote on that on flood insurance. We'll either do flood insurance with the amendments that deal with flood insurance, or we won't do it. We'll have an extension."
Reid has allowed Republicans to attach unrelated amendments to other important bills in the past few months. Most notably, he let the Senate vote on a contraception-related amendment, proposed by Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.), to a transportation bill. But Reid called Paul's measure "ridiculous" and "outlandish," and asked Republicans to deal with him on "their side of the aisle."
Paul told reporters on Tuesday afternoon that he is "just trying to get a vote for people who elected me."
"Can you believe that they're exasperated with me?" he said, responding to criticism of his attempt to attach the unrelated amendment. "If [Reid will] give me a freestanding vote, I'll take a freestanding vote any time."
The highly controversial concept of fetal personhood raised by Paul's amendment could affect the legality of abortion, some forms of birth control, stem cell research and in vitro fertilization.

#2 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:03 PM

Just wow...

I wonder how many babies I've fathered.

Once again the far right holding up bills that would genuinely protect people for some bat sh*t religious doctrine.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#3 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:08 PM

Here is a message from my avatar to rand paul , if you think a womans reproductive rights are inconsequent you're wrong .

Edited by puckinloveicehockey, 05 July 2012 - 07:09 PM.

"These are the things to keep in mind. These are not just academic exercises. We're not analyzing the media on Mars or in the eighteenth century or something like that. We're dealing with real human beings who are suffering and dying and being tortured and starving because of policies that we are involved in, we as citizens of democratic societies are directly involved in and are responsible for, and what the media are doing is ensuring that we do not act on our responsibilities, and that the interests of power are served, not the needs of the suffering people, and not even the needs of the American people who would be horrified if they realized the blood that's dripping from their hands because of the way they are allowing themselves to be deluded and manipulated by the system."
Noam Chomsky

Jesus didn’t say yes to everyone. I mean Jesus knew that there was a place for everything and it is not necessarily everyone’s place to come to Australia
Tony Abbott......Current Australian PM

#4 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,087 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:32 AM

Rand Pauls reply is what bothered me the most. His "why are people fed up with me when im just trying to be true to my constituents" is such complete and utter arrogant bull++++. He should be laughed out of office but will probably get re elected instead.

Id like to say American polititcs are total rubbish but our Canadian politics arent much better.

Posted Image

#5 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,004 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

Wow way to highjack a bill that could help millions with political bullsh%t, this is just awful. Glad Ried took a stance on this crap of unrelated amendments but I was sad to hear he let others go to vote. Maybe I'm old fashioned but shouldn't the amendment actually have something to do with the main bill?
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

#6 blister soul

blister soul

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,965 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:04 PM

What a dramatic display of radical political spirit! I applaud Paul for this move. If you have the conviction that life begins at conception, then you would do anything to see the rights of the vulnerable protected.
“Reason is itself a matter of faith. It is an act of faith to assert that our thoughts have any relation to reality at all.” - G.K. Chesterton

“Unbelief is as much of a choice as belief is. What makes it in many ways more appealing is that whereas to believe in something requires some measure of understanding and effort, not to believe doesn't require much of anything at all.” - Frederick Buechner

“All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and the change is painful.” - Flannery O'Connor

“My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?” - C.S. Lewis

#7 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

The title needs to be changed.

This is Rand Paul, a Senator in Kentucky:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rand_paul

This is Ron Paul, a member of the House of Representatives from Texas:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_paul

#8 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,641 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:41 PM

The title needs to be changed.

This is Rand Paul, a Senator in Kentucky:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rand_paul

This is Ron Paul, a member of the House of Representatives from Texas:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_paul

Rand Paul is Ron Paul's son. Which is what the title says.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

On the off-chance I die, gbassi, I love you.

#9 PlayStation

PlayStation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:54 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#10 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

Rand Paul is Ron Paul's son. Which is what the title says.

You win this round.

#11 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,004 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

What a dramatic display of radical political spirit! I applaud Paul for this move. If you have the conviction that life begins at conception, then you would do anything to see the rights of the vulnerable protected.

your kidding right? You would hijack a bill that could help potntially millions of futue flood victims right before huricane season, to further your political beliefs.I for one am disgusted by this.
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

#12 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:09 PM

what a bunch of crap . the power hungry little turd would not know what the words ethics and morals mean . once more the church through it's political puppets are trying to disenfrachise women and take away their right to choose .
"These are the things to keep in mind. These are not just academic exercises. We're not analyzing the media on Mars or in the eighteenth century or something like that. We're dealing with real human beings who are suffering and dying and being tortured and starving because of policies that we are involved in, we as citizens of democratic societies are directly involved in and are responsible for, and what the media are doing is ensuring that we do not act on our responsibilities, and that the interests of power are served, not the needs of the suffering people, and not even the needs of the American people who would be horrified if they realized the blood that's dripping from their hands because of the way they are allowing themselves to be deluded and manipulated by the system."
Noam Chomsky

Jesus didn’t say yes to everyone. I mean Jesus knew that there was a place for everything and it is not necessarily everyone’s place to come to Australia
Tony Abbott......Current Australian PM

#13 AmericanRuse

AmericanRuse

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:42 PM

Rand Pauls reply is what bothered me the most. His "why are people fed up with me when im just trying to be true to my constituents" is such complete and utter arrogant bull++++. He should be laughed out of office but will probably get re elected instead.

Id like to say American polititcs are total rubbish but our Canadian politics arent much better.

and I thought he was a Libertarian, how is being anti-abortion being libertarian?

#14 pianoman13

pianoman13

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:34 PM

Wow way to highjack a bill that could help millions with political bullsh%t, this is just awful. Glad Ried took a stance on this crap of unrelated amendments but I was sad to hear he let others go to vote. Maybe I'm old fashioned but shouldn't the amendment actually have something to do with the main bill?

Well if you are 'old fashioned' then shouldnt you be supporting this ammendment? B)

No videos in sig please. 

#15 Canuckerbird

Canuckerbird

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:29 PM

what a bunch of crap . the power hungry little turd would not know what the words ethics and morals mean . once more the church through it's political puppets are trying to disenfrachise women and take away their right to choose .

Which Church? Paul is Presbyterian, not Catholic.
My friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana. I said "No. But I do want a normal banana later, so...ya."- The Late Mitch Hedberg

Go Canucks GO

#16 blister soul

blister soul

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,965 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:43 PM

Do you really, honestly believe that people who are pro-life are only obsessed with controlling women and their bodies?

Edited by blister soul, 11 July 2012 - 11:45 PM.

“Reason is itself a matter of faith. It is an act of faith to assert that our thoughts have any relation to reality at all.” - G.K. Chesterton

“Unbelief is as much of a choice as belief is. What makes it in many ways more appealing is that whereas to believe in something requires some measure of understanding and effort, not to believe doesn't require much of anything at all.” - Frederick Buechner

“All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and the change is painful.” - Flannery O'Connor

“My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?” - C.S. Lewis

#17 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:46 PM

Lol, Republicans... :picard:

Edited by Jagermeister, 11 July 2012 - 11:46 PM.

Posted Image

#18 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:33 AM

This is why I'm no fan of Rand Paul. He is a Senator, on the other hand, so no surprise there.
How do you embarrass a crackhead wearing a viking helmet?

How do you roast charcoal? -- Jeff Ross

#19 Columbo

Columbo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,886 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:36 AM

I heard about this, it's so ridiculous.

Republicans deny climate change and any regulations tied to it. They stall aid bills with crap like this. They fight to cut funding for emergency rescue services. And then they still blame Obama for the floods and wildfires that are wreaking havoc across the States.

Anyone who wants to vote for these clowns is delusional.

#20 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:42 AM

I heard about this, it's so ridiculous.

Republicans deny climate change and any regulations tied to it. They stall aid bills with crap like this. They fight to cut funding for emergency rescue services. And then they still blame Obama for the floods and wildfires that are wreaking havoc across the States.

Anyone who wants to vote for these clowns is delusional.

Wildfires are going to happen regardless (blaming Obama for them is stupid as he doesn't control climate), but as far as the political games and pointless pandering are concerned, Obama also pulled quite a bit of federal funding and assistance that would be used for firefighting.

Edited by zaibatsu, 12 July 2012 - 03:44 AM.

#21 Columbo

Columbo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,886 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:46 AM

Wildfires are going to happen regardless (blaming Obama for them is stupid as he doesn't control climate), but as far as the political games and pointless pandering are concerned, Obama also pulled quite a bit of federal funding and assistance that would be used for firefighting.

At the constant bid of the Republicans. (I will blame Obama for caving too easily on too many things, that is a flaw of his.) The Republicans have also rejected any proposal to increase funding. Also, here is a video:

Edited by Columbo, 12 July 2012 - 03:47 AM.

#22 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:53 AM

At the constant bid of the Republicans. (I will blame Obama for caving too easily on too many things, that is a flaw of his.) The Republicans have also rejected any proposal to increase funding. Also, here is a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zNjKWw6z64&feature=plcp

Cenk convinced me there with his "hypocrite gene" theory. :lol: I do wonder sometimes about that possible gene..

This battle is petty though, and the masses will eat it up. It's unfortunate to me the intellectuals understand the hypocrisy laid out there by Malkin et al but then turn around and head for Obama like that's going to change anything. :(

#23 Columbo

Columbo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,886 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:55 AM

Cenk convinced me there with his "hypocrite gene" theory. :lol: I do wonder sometimes about that possible gene..

This battle is petty though, and the masses will eat it up. It's unfortunate to me the intellectuals understand the hypocrisy laid out there by Malkin et al but then turn around and head for Obama like that's going to change anything. :(

Haha yes I wonder about that gene too, a lot of human behaviour seems pretty inexplicable without it.

As to your 2nd point... effective modern day propoganda at its finest. Even when they can see through the BS, it still works on people.

#24 The Situation

The Situation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:48 PM

Its hilarious how Rand Paul still cannot escape his dad's shadow. Just look at the thread title, instead of saying Rand Paul, its Ron Paul's Son.
Posted Image

#25 Hotdawg

Hotdawg

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

What and then turn a blind eye to the majority of crappy parents? You are living in a bubble. Pop it!

#26 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,683 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:42 PM

Actually one would think that Paul would think that people that live in areas prone to flooding should be holding their own flood insurance instead of having the whole country foot the bill for it. That he can kill it so effectively by attaching something else that is out of the mainstream is indeed one heck of a move!

#27 Navyblue

Navyblue

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:15 PM

Its hilarious how Rand Paul still cannot escape his dad's shadow. Just look at the thread title, instead of saying Rand Paul, its Ron Paul's Son.

But it's understandable...
Posted Image

#28 sakage.shinga

sakage.shinga

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:20 PM

Yeah, nothing demonstrates one's love for "life" than the act of denying it to others. At least, that's what Rand Paul would have us believe. What a joke.

Next time I want to promote the urgency of doctor shortages, I'll hold massive and disruptive protests in front of my local emergency rooms and also pharmacies.

We need the minus system to make a comeback, guys.
Posted Image

#29 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:35 PM

Alright, so you can fly down to Florida after the next big hurricane, and explain to all victims families why their loved ones died.
"You see, Senator Paul values life at all stages, so to try and protect them as a fetus, your husband, your mother, and your 2 children are dead because we couldn't get aid in time. Trust me, it all makes sense in the grand scheme of things!"

Yes... Bravo Rand... Bravo... :sadno:
Posted Image

#30 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:59 AM

and I thought he was a Libertarian, how is being anti-abortion being libertarian?

What is anti abortion ? I think the Conservatives call it 'pro life' .

Liberals call their view 'pro choice'

Thats what I recall anyways.

I don't think Rand Paul should be trying to shove something like this into an insurance bill . I think he can make his point be known without holding a bill hostage.

By the way, Rand Paul is a tea party guy, not a Libertarian. His dad is the Libertarian.

edit:

ron Paul is still technically part of the GOP

Edited by Drybone, 13 July 2012 - 07:00 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.