The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How to Escape the Friendzone

OrdinaryBoy

Today is the day we begin to leave...the friend zone.

Impossible,” you say.

I believe it can be done.

If you want to appeal to a female who considers you a friend, but you’re not willing to try hypnotism because you don’t want to create a monster, or you can’t use inception again because your dead wife is trying to kill you, fear not!

Culled and compiled from the vast depths of the internet, for your reading pleasure, here are the four best tips on escaping the netherworld hell of “friend zone”.

Escaping the friendzone is a monumental task that requires guts and sacrifice. We’re in this together, single guys, so please post your own advice and tips in this thread.

And here…we…go.

Step One: Don’t be needy. If you really want to be in a relationship with this girl, you might be coming off as desperate, which is quite the attraction killer. Desperate people end up with what others give them, not what they want. So, take a step back, be less interested and ready to walk away if you don't get the relationship you want. Treating her like you are willing to walk away at any point is extremely powerful. The first step in escaping the friend zone is therefore to start acting like you could care less if she likes you, or has sex with you.

Step Two: Take a break. Many of those in the friendzone are there because they are the stereotypical Mr. Nice Guy: they’re dependable, reliable and girls take them for granted. So, put some separation between you and your female friend. Let things cool for a week or three, and stop going out of your way to do her favours. Pursue your dreams, hobbies, etc. so your focus is mainly on yourself. In addition to letting you get back to your interests, it is also crucial to have other prospects going on in order to kill any subliminal desperation you might be projecting onto her. Your idea of a good time must not be dependent on her availability. You are a man who has a life outside of her. If she truly appreciate you, then your absence will make her miss you and want you more. This will increase her desire for you and her willingness to meet your needs back.

Step Three: Use the sweet touch of love. When you hang out again after introducing a little separation, introduce casual physical contact as soon as possible. It shows you're comfortable touching other people, namely women, it shows you find her attractive, it displays confidence and perhaps most importantly helps break the perception of you as a purely platonic friend. Touching her arm during conversation, putting your hand on the small of her back while waiting at the bar, brushing something out of her hair... small acts like this can build up an air of intimacy that she finds desirable. Even if you're terrified of touching someone the wrong way, to the extent that you hesitate and never touch them first, you must take a few little "touch risks". If they don't like it, they'll definitely let you know. Comment on her jewellery and touch her. If it’s a ring hold her hand and admire it then let her hand go with a slow slide. If it’s an earring, let the backs of your fingers grace her cheek. Tickle her, whatever; the key is to think of this physical contact as subtle displays of tenderness.

Step Four: Get busy. If you are "busy" with other people, you might just find your friend a bit more eager and motivated for your time and attention. Hang around with some other girls, maybe even get intimate with a few of them. Then, talk about these new friends with the friend you desire. Start noticing other attractive girls when you are with her and commenting on it. Show interest in her, but at the same time let her know that you are a man who are interested in other females as well. NEVER cancel a REAL date to “hang out” with a female who has you in the Friend Zone. After your dates, it’s perfectly okay to discuss them with your female friend (minus the explicit details – be vague on these). I know you might cringe at this last part and think, “Oh no! Then we’ll never be more than friends! She’ll think that I don’t care anymore or think I’m a jerk!” She was already keeping you in a holding pattern before, right? Plus, you have every right to date around because you two are just friends, right? Another possibility is that she will suddenly become more curious about your dates, more flirtatious with you, and maybe even a little jealous. This puts you back in the running as a potential romantic partner and not just a platonic hang-out friend.

General tips for success for women:

-Pay attention to your appearance. If you don’t think you look good (not just OK, but good), neither will other people. Wear nice clothes or even a suit (in appropriate situations). Women enjoy seeing men in suits the same way men enjoy seeing women in lingerie.

-Proper hygiene is essential. Brush, floss, shower, shave. Most gainfully employed women don’t want to date a homeless guy.

-Be tall.

-Get a rockin’ bod. If you are dedicated, a few minutes a day can make a big difference. Do pushups when you get up in the morning and before you go to bed. Hit the gym.

-Be confident; some women do like the cute, harmless guy, but confidence is a universally appealing attribute.

Please add your own tips and advice; we can do this together!

Good read.

All I did was tell her I was going on a date with another girl, and told her how well it went. She got jealous. Now its mutual. The date wasn't real so I wasnt using anyone! (I made a huge story so it sounded legit. We have been talking for 2 weeks after a 4 month break)

I think doing that in conjunction with step 1 and 2 is a great mix. After the date crap, move on to 3 and 4 and it'll work even better.

Women want what they cant have, and if they see themselves as your only option, they will make you a "Plan B". Doing the fake girlfriend act works wonders.

There's no escaping out of the friend zone. At most, you might get an F buddy out of it.

It does not matter how much you make or what car you drive or what house you live in, if she's not attracted to you, she's not attracted to you. Her suddenly being 'into you' by being rich and/or famous does not mean she likes you for who you are.

In essence, you are not truly escaping the friendzone.

But if you want a golddigger, why target a 'friend'?

I think my wife felt like she was stuck in the friend zone with me because I was dating a couple other people and it was very complicated. She didn't want me to know how she felt because of what was going on with me and my other relationships. We were friends for three years (online) before she told me how she felt after I told her I was single. We've been together for over five years now.

It goes both ways, I'm sure some women are afraid to make their feelings known simply because of timing. Take a chance.

Friendzone? Okay, how about growing up? Where you take the time to mature and become a real man, discipline yourself, get a job and quit feeling so sorry for yourself that you're using stupid terms like friendzone.

Friendzone? Okay, how about growing up? Where you take the time to mature and become a real man, discipline yourself, get a job and quit feeling so sorry for yourself that you're using stupid terms like friendzone.

I disagree.

A relationship is the natural culmination of the interaction between two compatible mates.

Besides, the girl always has the opportunity to say no, this is just ways to make you more attractive to her.

I don't disagree with that; a friendship can definitely evolve into a relationship over time. However, trying to force that change isn't healthy. Playing mind games and implementing manipulation tactics isn't a fair thing to do to a friend. You're taking advantage of her trust. I agree with Malaria, the very concept of getting out of a 'friendzone' shows immaturity.

I don't disagree with that; a friendship can definitely evolve into a relationship over time. However, trying to force that change isn't healthy. Playing mind games and implementing manipulation tactics isn't a fair thing to do to a friend. You're taking advantage of her trust. I agree with Malaria, the very concept of getting out of a 'friendzone' shows immaturity.

Here's the sticky thing about the friend zone. The only real way to get out of it is to show you don't care and have other options. The problem is that if you go through all the work described in the OP, you must really care. She's probably going to see through your lie and the plan won't work.

The best way to get out of the friend zone....find someone new. She may hit on you then, but by then you genuinly won't care and you'll be interested in the new girl. That's the rub.

Archived