Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

How to Escape the Friendzone

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

#31 kazin!

kazin!

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,093 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:26 PM

This thread is hilarious. I recently broke out of the friendzone with a girl I've been really good friends with for years. It wasn't intentional per se, I valued our friendship enough to not risk messing it up by pursuing anything more than that. In her words..."Act like an asshole for 2 years. Date other ppl but text everyday. 3rd year, hang out w/ her and drink together a lot. Flirt while drinking and deny liking her at all costs. Wait for her to get a bf, leave the country. Then meet her in a foreign one and be ridiculously aggressive. Bam. In 4 years, you'll have her hahah"

The relationship has been great just because we know each other so well. To the tough guys saying breaking the friendzone is immature, you clearly don't have the stones for someone you think is a quality gal. Instead you'll continue slaying sewer rats at your local club. Enjoy!
Posted Image

#32 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:35 PM

The world abounds in (rhymes with punt) of every kind, includin' hers."

Posted Image

?

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#33 OrdinaryBoy

OrdinaryBoy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

I don't disagree with that; a friendship can definitely evolve into a relationship over time. However, trying to force that change isn't healthy. Playing mind games and implementing manipulation tactics isn't a fair thing to do to a friend. You're taking advantage of her trust. I agree with Malaria, the very concept of getting out of a 'friendzone' shows immaturity.

No, what you say is reasonable.
However, should you supress your feelings to maintain a friendship?
I'm not advocating playing mind games, just changing your behaviour so the woman in question sees you differently, same as if you went on a diet or renewed your wardrobe.
I think this is the same asking a girl out who thinks you're just friends; these strategies are just to make you seem more attractive and confident.
Guys who are in the friendzone (I use that term both because I am immature and because I don't have a better one) are generally nice guys.

#34 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:39 PM

BE (you should NOT have to act very much) confident, SET YOUR BOUNDARIES/ EXPECTATIONS for what you want the relationship to be, then grow a pair and let her know in person but MAKE SURE that you'd be fine if you guys didn't just stay friends (e.g. if you guys fell apart after telling her b/c it could happen). Don't pressure her or be a little nag if you get turned down, for whatever reason.

More importantly try to have your own/ other options, not just to provoke jealousy but to genuinely have things going on in your life, which could also help. Develop your own style and live/ dress in it (given that it looks nice :P).

Have your own thing, otherwise don't really even bother to be in a relationship (or leave that friend zone), b/c that relationship could very easily become that of a parasite and a host (you'd just be clinging to them, looking to be fulfilled by them yet you remain devoid of having your own personality and you're draining the life/ energy out of them).

As powerful as the Jealousy card is, it's a low, low, LOW maneuver. There's as big a chance of making them despise you for doing that as there is a chance of "succeeding". Sure, it's good to make them think, "man he's awesome, why did I let him go?" by genuinely being an awesome, confident man, but don't take your front or revenge "tactics" too far, otherwise even if they did start to like you they could lose their feelings for good (they could start to develop feelings for others if you treat them badly or ignore them for too long, then you'd lose out again).

What's worse, if you play that card by using your relationship with someone else to get back at the person who didn't give you a chance, you'd be hurting two people at the same time. Then, you'd be lucky to even be considered for the friend zone and not tossed in the scum bin.

Edited by MessiNacity10, 06 July 2012 - 07:42 PM.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#35 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,132 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:20 PM

Friend zone, lol.
Posted Image

#36 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:22 PM

Posted Image

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#37 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:23 PM

ITT thread:

Wow.

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#38 kazin!

kazin!

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,093 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:38 PM

No, what you say is reasonable.
However, should you supress your feelings to maintain a friendship?
I'm not advocating playing mind games, just changing your behaviour so the woman in question sees you differently, same as if you went on a diet or renewed your wardrobe.
I think this is the same asking a girl out who thinks you're just friends; these strategies are just to make you seem more attractive and confident.
Guys who are in the friendzone (I use that term both because I am immature and because I don't have a better one) are generally nice guys.

.........depending on how much you care about the friendship, yes? You realize there are TONS of eligible girls out there right? Not all could be the same friend to you as she is. You're more likely to find a new girl to game on than a new good friend.
Posted Image

#39 Quinn12

Quinn12

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:37 AM

If you're already friends it is assumed you enjoy being with the person. The next step is simple.
If you are a girl: Become attractive.
If you are a boy: Become attractive and/or rich.

You're welcome for the advice.

Best thing I've read in years.. Wish I could thumbs up more than once lol
R.I.P. Luc Bourdon.. Forever a Canuck; never forgotten

"'Grow some balls, just do it; and he went down there and done it"
--- Claude Giroux on how he helped his brother-in-law propose to his sister. lol

#40 The Wizard of AZ

The Wizard of AZ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:51 AM

Really? Isn't the friend zone a myth people use to cope when someone they really want rejects them?

Edited by The Wizard of AZ, 07 July 2012 - 05:53 AM.

Posted Image

#41 OrdinaryBoy

OrdinaryBoy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:26 PM

Really? Isn't the friend zone a myth people use to cope when someone they really want rejects them?

You like a woman, but you don't reveal your feelings. She says something along the lines of "you're such a good friend" or (if she's 14) "we're best friends forever".

You have been "friendzoned": preemptively classified by said woman as a just a friend.

#42 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:31 AM

Because women never play mind games and manipulate men... and what's wrong with being immature, when you're young, and you know, immature?

That's great for when you're young, and can claim ignorance to responsibility for playing these childish games, but most people knew from a much younger age that's not how you want to start a relationship off, and that's not part of the golden rule as how you would want to be treated yourself. But whatever kids, go ahead and dig your own grave and unnecessarily complicate a relationship with this dishonesty and immaturity.

#43 MillerGenuineDraft

MillerGenuineDraft

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:09 AM

My advice: don't do it. it's not worth it. you're being oblivious to the reason why you two were friends in the first place. why would you ever want to get rid of that.
MILLERGENUINEDRAFT

#44 kazin!

kazin!

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,093 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:36 PM

My advice: don't do it. it's not worth it. you're being oblivious to the reason why you two were friends in the first place. why would you ever want to get rid of that.

It is worth it ;).
Posted Image

#45 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:38 PM

Friendzones are for the weak, if you really like the person why pretend there is a barrier?

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#46 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:48 PM

Love the 15/16/17 year olds giving advice about how to become 'un-friend-zoned' and completely ignoring the life experience of those who have been there and come through it.....some successfully, some not. I remember being 15/16/17 and thinking I knew it all too. Unfortunately, life will have to bite a few of them pretty hard in the ass before they get 'it'.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 08 July 2012 - 03:50 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#47 CaNuCkSLoUiE23

CaNuCkSLoUiE23

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,347 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:40 PM

My pick-up line:
"Hey girl.....I have over 2000 posts on CDC" ;)

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.