Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Are Rich People Mean

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,402 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:56 PM

Are rich people mean?

PUBLISHED: 05 Jul 2012 07:40:09 | UPDATED: 06 Jul 2012 05:27:33PRINT EDITION: 05 Jul 2012

Share Links:email
print-font+font

Posted Image
Research appears to indicate people can readily take on some of the more negative attributes associated with the wealthy during role playing games.
Ben Woodhead
Psychologists are turning their minds to how wealth affects people’s behaviour and the findings are startling.
But the research, which comes against the backdrop of the Occupy Wall Street movement, is yet to reach a firm conclusion on one long-standing question about the rich: Does money make you mean, or are mean people better at making money?
New York Magazine explores the territory this month in a lengthy article picking the brains of researchers and psychiatrists, who if nothing else agree that there are certain behaviours and traits that appear to emerge in the wealthy, regardless of if they’re innate.
Among them: a propensity to act more aggressively and a tendency to drive with greater disregard for pedestrians and fellow motorists than the less well-off.
“[Wealthy people] are sexual and aggressive,” psychiatrist T. Byram Karasu tells New York Magazine. “They are also competitive with anyone and have no fear of confrontations; in fact, they thrive on them.”
University of California, Berkley researcher and psychologist Paul Piff has attempted to validate this stereotype through a series of tests involving rigged games of Monopoly, in which one player is able to accumulate wealth at a much faster rate.
“Putting someone in a role where they’re more privileged and have more power in a game makes them behave like people who actually do have more power, more money, and more status,” Piff tells NY mag.
“While having money doesn’t necessarily make anybody anything, the rich are way more likely to prioritise their own self-interests above the interests of other people.”
Forbes picks up on the theme this week in an interview with Dr Reef Karim of Beverly Hills’ The Control Center, who suggests that personality traits that drive success in business can cause people to act impersonally to the people around them.
“A surprising number of very wealthy people don’t have the kind of driving motivation you’d think they would have, and which could lead to incredible charity work and empathy towards others,” Karim tells Forbes.
“It’s sort of a psychological paralysis due to money. Money can cripple you. In the end, it’s all about being human. It sounds cliché but it’s true: Happiness is not about money. The more we can bond with each other and connect with other people’s plights, the happier we are.”

I think it's rad when balls beats natural talent

Shaun Palmer

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

#2 Truculence

Truculence

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,311 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:02 PM

The more anti-social and psychopathic a person, the more likely it is that they will hoard wealth. The more wealth they hoard, the more defensive and disconnected they become. It's the greatest problem with modern capitalism, and will someday result in yet another violent revolution.

s_l_s.gif

burroes.gif

#3 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:10 PM

I'm rich and nice as hell. Are rich people mean? No.

I think it's the ones that wish they were rich making the rich look mean/bad.. Since they don't have what they want.

#4 Dazzle

Dazzle

The Snazzle Wristshot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,196 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:11 PM

I've met plenty of rich people that are nice people and generous too.

If you're looking to get a free lunch out of them, it is very rare that you can do that. Everyone hates people-users.

If you're looking to get respect, you can't get respect from ANYONE if you don't respect yourself. KNOW your role in society and you might get respect from a rich person. Don't pretend to be someone you're not.

You are more likely to get respect from a rich person by working hard from the ground up than if you were to get money through parental inheritance.
Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#5 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

My body is ready.

• Members
  • 6,446 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:15 PM

To be able to work in many high end jobs, people do require certain psychopathic tendencies.
Psychopaths feel little remorse, empathy, guilt etc. and are extremely egocentric.
Many Lawyers, CEO's, and Surgeons reportedly display these traits more often than regular people, which makes sense. A lawyer with a heavy conscious, a surgeon who feels immense guilt and remorse for every lost patient (to the point where it would shake their confidence), and a CEO who feels remorseful when hoarding assets would not do very well in their respective fields.
Not to mention egocentrism wills the person to be able to get into these positions in the first place. Somebody who does not think much of themselves as a person would never strive to become a surgeon/lawyer/CEO because they wouldn't feel worthy to hold such powerful positions in the world.
Of course, people with these traits naturally come off as meaner people in society.
So I don't think that money really makes people any meaner, its just that meaner people have the means to be able to do the work that pays up.

Edited by Jagermeister, 05 July 2012 - 09:51 PM.

Posted Image

#6 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:44 PM

Rich people are mean cause they can be, fat girls are nice or "funny" cause they have to be.

#7 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,233 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:44 PM

Not all rich people are mean. Look at the Vancouver Canucks players. They are rich as hell but not mean at all.

I know the owner of NCIX, and he's the hunblest guy in the world.

Well, I , I feel very good about this draft, but I, I think, potentially you know were gonna have 3 or 4 NHL players out of this group, ummmm, you know like we are not going to prejudice to were they are from.

-Jim Benning June 27, 2015 shortly after the completion of the 2015 NHL Entry draft in Miami Florida.

#8 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

My body is ready.

• Members
  • 6,446 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:45 PM

Rich people are mean cause they can be, fat girls are nice or "funny" cause they have to be.

What does a rich fat girl do?
Posted Image

#9 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:47 PM

Eat 100 dollar bills I don't know.

#10 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,238 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:49 PM

buy her friends, and pies. lots of pies.

#11 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,436 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:40 PM

Not all rich people are mean. Look at the Vancouver Canucks players. They are rich as hell but not mean at all.

Not all the Vancouver Canucks are nice guys.
Posted Image

#12 whysoserious

whysoserious

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:14 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,336 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:32 AM

Just like with any group, there are mean rich peopl, nice rich people, and in-between rich people. You always see the stereotype of the snobby, douchebag banker type who's only in it for the money. But there are also a lot of people that were just doing something they loved (like playing hockey, or making music, or coming up with a cool product) and happened to become successful at it.

A great example is the Sedins. They're rich as hell, but they don't seem greedy to me. I think it's because their biggest motivation for making the NHL probably wasn't money, it was love of hockey. So maybe it's not how much money you make that makes you mean, it's how you make the money.

Edited by etsen3, 06 July 2012 - 12:34 AM.

#14 GoaltenderInterference

GoaltenderInterference

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,124 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:11 AM

I find Kesler to be a really big douchebag. =/

Press the Panic Button! arrow.small.up.gif

Signature-canuckmunkey.jpg
Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien, Wade Belak, Lokomotiv Jaroslavl, Steve Montador
Sig by .CM.

#15 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:58 AM

I don't believe a word of this from my own personal experience. I work with a lot of executives and CEOs in my work, and I find that the higher up in an organization a person is, the nicer they are. The really mean spirited people are the middle managers that want to be in charge but aren't good enough at their job to get there.

#16 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:25 AM

I don't believe a word of this from my own personal experience. I work with a lot of executives and CEOs in my work, and I find that the higher up in an organization a person is, the nicer they are. The really mean spirited people are the middle managers that want to be in charge but aren't good enough at their job to get there.

I'd agree you can't really generalize like this. It's a pretty ridiculous study. They basically gave people playing a boardgame power over others and surprise surprise, those people exercised the power. I don't really see how that makes you a worse person. The people who don't have the power probably want it and would do the same thing in your position.

Reality, however, is far more complex. Obviously some people in our society have it far easier than others, and I'm not trying to downplay the struggle to meet even basic needs that some people go through. However, some of the most selfish and inconsiderate peolpe I know also ended up being very poor. These were people who could not put their own immediate needs aside to get an education, save up for a downpayment, etc... In other words, it's not just negative qualities that make you a success. Qualities like perserverence, determination, hard work, etc.. can also lead to success. Meanwhile, being selfish alone will not lead to success, in fact, it will probably result in extreme failure.

Edited by taxi, 06 July 2012 - 09:26 AM.

#17 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

Mean people are mean, nice people are nice.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#18 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,451 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:45 PM

They have an ego, that's for sure.
Posted Image

#19 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,402 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:13 PM

In the end, it’s all about being human. It sounds cliché but it’s true: Happiness is not about money. The more we can bond with each other and connect with other people’s plights, the happier we are.”

I think it's rad when balls beats natural talent

Shaun Palmer

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

#20 Dittohead

Dittohead

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

One thing is for sure, people who are'nt rich are jealous bitches. What is rich? someone who makes 100k a year? or someone who makes a million or 10 or 100 million a year?

All these stories about rich people are designed to make you think that they are evil and you are being cheated out of something. get a life and make something of it maybe you will be rich too.

Plenty of poor people are complete jerk offs and certainly not nice people.

Edited by Dittohead, 06 July 2012 - 06:07 PM.

#21 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 28,550 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:27 PM

Like any person, rich or poor they can be nice or a$$holes.

What's pathetic is the people who are ignorant and greedy to the point they feel they are better than everyone else.
You know the guy that cuts everyone off in traffic to get ahead of everyone else. The person who cuts in line at the movie theatre.
The ones who get a parking ticket and then go to court to sue the parking lot or the city.
(And spend more money fighting the ticket than just paying the thing, because they can't admit they make mistakes.)
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#22 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:27 PM

Eat 100 dollar bills I don't know.

LOL

You can have me.

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#23 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:27 PM

Posted Image

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#24 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:10 PM

I don't believe a word of this from my own personal experience. I work with a lot of executives and CEOs in my work, and I find that the higher up in an organization a person is, the nicer they are.

Don't you mean they can read and play people well? Surely they can't hold their ground nor their wealth if they are pushovers.

#25 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

Like any person, rich or poor they can be nice or a$$holes.

Smart dirtbags work with the system and thrive. Dumb dirtbags work against the system and get in trouble all the time.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.