The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who are the new defensemen we signed?

yawn.3x

Gillis has signed 3 defensemen and I've heard of Garrison but I've never heard of the other 2 so I looked up some of their stats.

One has never played an NHL game, and the other is -12 with 4 goals 12 assists in 114 NHL games.

Obviously stat's alone don't tell the entire story, and I don't claim to be an NHL expert that follows every single player, but we're supposed to be driving hard for a cup because we're finishing high in the standings each year which means we get higher draft picks. So if we're going for a cup, why are we signing guys that look like 7 or 8 D-men and not the 1-4 position.

We have the Sedin's who can put up points, but the rest of the team struggles. (I'm talking about playoffs because I could care less about the season. LA proved it's possible to go from 8th place seed to knocking out the 1st,2nd AND 3rd seeded teams.)

Our defense has been horrendous and our forwards have struggled too, and those 2 signings seem more like wasted space then beneficial to our team. It just seem's like every team in the league gets better each year except us; mind you the season hasn't started and this is just speculation.

Sorry i'm going to stop ranting now. With the cap space going up 6 million, I thought for sure we'd get a big name player because the Free Agent pool looked really promising, which is the only thing that excited me about the off-season. I thought our team was going to greatly improve. But from these signing's so far it just looks like our team got 1 year older and we added 2 more random players to play for our farm team.

If you follow the Canucks for a while now, you'd realize that every year the Canucks acquire players or depth as they call it, to fill up roster spots in either their farm team or add guys just in case something happens to the top guys. Now, maybe they are young and have potential to grow, but when you see a guy who is signed to a "Two-Way" Contract. For any Casual fan, it's a time to ignore, the signing, because likely, they won't be NHL regulars.

Hey OP, you should try reading the individual threads created for the two new signings. It pretty much answers your questions.

If the potential for a big trade involving one of our goalies and then signing one of the top UFA defenceman (not to mention being in the hunt for Schultz) doesn't float your boat, then we can't help you.

We didn't sign any more free agents than Garrison because we won't overpay for a player in free agency. Looking to the future, we have the advantage of not being stuck with potential 5m+ contracts with long term going into the player's late 30's. Not to mention there is still guys like Mueller and Doan on the market that could be possible acquisitions. Also we'll still get a pretty big return for Luongo which will make our team good enough for a cup run.

These signings aren't meant to improve the team, they're to fill out the roster spots. They might see a few games with the Canucks if there are injuries by they will spend most of the season with the Wolves.

Signing Garrison was a pretty big move, it's a good upgrade for the defense, which is what we needed. Our defense looked sloppy at times last year, so it's good to have a reliable defenseman who also has a good shot. I still think MG has more up his sleeve though. First of all there's the Luongo trade that still needs to happen.

Second of all like OP mentioned we still have quite a bit of cap space, and MG likes to spend to the cap so if he doesn't fill that up before the end of summer he will probably do it at the deadline. He says he want to get bigger, younger, and stronger, and he hasn't done that yet so I assume he's still planning to add some more pieces. Personally I'm hoping for Shane Doan, he fits the criteria perfectly except for the younger part. His grit and skill would be a perfect fit for the Canucks top 6, but he won't be making a decision until the 8th at the earliest.

Archived