The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Natural Evolution of the Canucks Leadership Core...

disisdayear

What makes the current leadership group effective in my mind is that they had the opportunity to grow up together in the Canucks organisation, while the WCE bunch was still shouldering most of the load... (Kes, Bur, Sedins, Bieksa) Lou was brought in just as they were taking over so he kind of fit in with that group as well.

What's a little concerning is that I don't really see a group of young-guns threatening on the 2nd and 3rd lines the way our current group did... a lot of our "role players" are older, around the same age, or probably not going to develop the way this group did... with all that said, it would be awesome to have guys like Jensen, Gaunce (not yet but soon), Kassian, Schroeder, Sauve, Connauton etc be given a chance to cut their teeth in the NHL... the problem is, as 2x Presidents trophy winners and with the "we want the cup now" mentality, do we have the patience to do so?

Our younger players could become the next leadership core. I mean players like Schroeder, Hansen, Tanev, Kassian etc, could all get better and develop into an even better core. There is no telling what will happen, just a matter of getting good prospects and developing them in the right way. No rushing prospects as at this point we don't have to.

Teams like the Oilers tend to throw their new players into the NHL straight away...sure they are usually the 1st overall pick and they have done pretty well in their early career, but even having 6 months could help all prospects no matter where/when you were drafted.

EDIT: Also, a leader is hard to see when a lot of what makes a true leader is the off ice actions. People used to say Naslund didn't deserve to wear the C, well how many of us truly knew what he was like in the locker room.

Sedins have only 2-3 years left? I beg to differ. Their game doesn't revolve on an attribute that lots of players lose once they get old. Mainly their hockey sense and vision on the ice is what makes them really good players, as long as that stays intact I can see them staying for 5 more years even if they get demoted to the 2nd line in a few years.

Kesler is not the guy I see as being a true leader on this team. The guy shows absolutely no emotion except for when it's towards himself, his interviews are incredibly unmotivating (even his teammates say he never smiles), and the on ice antics last playoffs were completely immature. At 27 I expect MUCH differently from him.

Deal him for Weber. A guy who won't take crap from ANYBODY and lead by true example of domination.

Kind of pointless speculating on our next leadership group when we don't even know who will be here. Trades, UFA signings and draft picks. Who can say how that will play out in 3, 5 or 7 years?

Bottom line: The future leaders likely aren't even a part of the organization yet.

Archived