Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

My Workout Routine (Suggestions?)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#1 Salter

Salter

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:33 AM

Hey, CDC. I'll give you a brief run down of myself. I'm 15, not the healtiest of eaters, I'm 6ft half an inch tall and weigh about 140 pounds. I am very skinny lol. I don't work out either. I know someone who is kind of a trainer and he gave me this routine to do as well as me eating 3 healthy meals a day. I wanted you get some of your opinions!

Part.1

33 wide stance pushups, (take as long as u need to all these sets)
33 mid stance pushups,
33 diamond stance pushups

Part2.

100 crunches. (if it doesnt hurt enough, do 200 )
do 1 minute of holding the v sit.
50-100 leg raises.

Part. 3

2-3 sets of pullups to failure
1-2 sets of widegrip or reverse grip (palm facing you) pullups.

I am doing that once every three days until my body gets used to it. Then every other day. (short jogs on my days off) Also I will be eating three healthy meals everyday. Being super strong and buff would be nice but all I'm looking for is to bulk up!

I was wondering if any of you had anything better or any changes to that routine aswell as types of healthy food I could have as a meal! Also share what you do and eat to stay healthy!
fD9sila.jpg

#2 Kooner91

Kooner91

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:50 AM

I'm sort of in the same scenario. I am 16(just turned 16 at the end of May) 5'10, 140 pounds. I was also looking for a workout routine to bulk up. I'm going to try your routine for a bit and see how it is! :)

As for help, I am not a expert at this, sorry.

Markus Naslund- Forever A Canuck

#3 Duodenum

Duodenum

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,748 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:55 AM

You're going to need more than 3 meals a day to bulk up.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 Salter

Salter

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:03 AM

I'm sort of in the same scenario. I am 16(just turned 16 at the end of May) 5'10, 140 pounds. I was also looking for a workout routine to bulk up. I'm going to try your routine for a bit and see how it is! :)

As for help, I am not a expert at this, sorry.

It's pretty good I think! I hope it works out for both of us! :) I'll send you a message and we can keep eachother updated on how we're doing!

You're going to need more than 3 meals a day to bulk up.

Aha probably, I'll maybe have a fourth if I'm feeling hungry!

Edited by Salter, 06 July 2012 - 01:03 AM.

fD9sila.jpg

#5 Patrick Kane

Patrick Kane

Assistant to Regional Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:10 AM

I'm not going to go into much detail, but.

EAT
SLEEP
TRAIN

Eat:

Over 500 calories of your caloric maintenance.
Find a website that tells you your maintenance, and add 500 calories to it. Keeping adding when you stop gaining weight.

What to eat? Protein is the most important at this point. Theres carbs, fats, but look that up yourself. Eat peanut butter sandwichs, drink TONS of milk, create a weight gainer shake (protein powder + oats + milk + peanut butter). Theres a lot more too it, look it up.

Sleep:

You need atleast 8 hours of sleep a day. Recovery is very important to gaining muscle.

Train:

Home workouts will not put much mass on, but since you're an absolute begginer, the routine looks fine. But it doesn't incorporate legs.. So do bodyweight squats, jump squats, one-legged squats and lunges.

You ultimately need a weightroom to get the most out of your bodybuilding potential, even if you want to bulk up. It's hard to hit your biceps, triceps, shoulders, back and legs efficiently without weight. Some will argue, but this is my opinion. You can only go so far with bodyweight...

Also for abs, do the P90X Ab Ripper X.

Reply if you have any more questions..

CDCEHL - Edmonton
CFJfNyM.png

#6 Patrick Kane

Patrick Kane

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:20 AM

Actually, if anyone wants to start a homework routine together, then let me know, we all do it together on the same schedule, discuss about it, track how much we've done. It'll keep everyone motivated!

I'll need at least 4-5 people to participate before I start a thread.

CDCEHL - Edmonton
CFJfNyM.png

#7 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:34 AM

Actually, if anyone wants to start a homework routine together, then let me know, we all do it together on the same schedule, discuss about it, track how much we've done. It'll keep everyone motivated!

sounds interesting
Posted Image

#8 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:35 AM

Not trying to hijack your thread, but any weight loss routines?

#9 Patrick Kane

Patrick Kane

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:39 AM

Not trying to hijack your thread, but any weight loss routines?

Join my program, losing weight has to do with diet + cardio, which are additives to the workout.

CDCEHL - Edmonton
CFJfNyM.png

#10 Salter

Salter

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:44 AM

Thanks! I added all your stuff to my routine!

And that sounds cool, I'd be interested. Message me if you get the thread going. I'm timing how long it takes me to complete each part to my workout everytime I do it.
Also, I added this to the workout,
Part Four
100 Lunges (50 each leg)
25 Squats
50 Jump Squats
30 One Legged Squats (15 each leg)

fD9sila.jpg

#11 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,737 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:44 AM

This guy's a machine, join up.

PS: I'm joining this, yo.

Edited by Caboose, 06 July 2012 - 01:50 AM.

iM9vOuM.jpg

#12 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:58 AM

It's a great workout, if you're a female that's going to be working out with the 70-something grandmothers at the gym.

Scared to lift a little weight, bra?

#13 Patrick Kane

Patrick Kane

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:04 AM

It's a great workout, if you're a female that's going to be working out with the 70-something grandmothers at the gym.

Kids his age may have difficulty going to a gym. Without a car, or a person to drive you, or lack of nearby gym, ultimately you have to find some way of getting a workout.

CDCEHL - Edmonton
CFJfNyM.png

#14 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,952 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:24 AM

Scratch what you're doing.

Eat well. Eat often. Lift heavy. Lift consistently.

Bench presses. Squats. Deadlifts. Barbell rows. Shoulder press. Point being: compound exercises. Isolation exercises are fine too but don't make them the bulk of your work out.

My leg work out the other day. Sets/reps vary:

Squats
Seated leg extension
Romanian deadlift
Hamstring curl
Seated calf extension

If you're interested in more, ask me. I went from 5'6 and 140 to 210 in two years max. I was exactly like you at one point and got to where I am today. I'm not an expert but I know what I'm talking about. Unfortunately my height remained the same :lol:

Or go to Reflex or Fuel and tell them you're new to this game and they'll set you up.
Posted Image

#15 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,952 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:29 AM

Oh, and whatever you do, do NOT read the forums of the bodybuilding page. 1) It's mostly gibberish. 2) A lot of what people say is factually incorrect/massive contradictions left right and center. 3)You're going to be more confused than when you first went there.

Stick to the articles and tutorials by actual professionals on the main page and not your casual, egotistical steroid monkey in the forum.
Posted Image

#16 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,017 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:05 AM

I was 19 years old 6' tall and 164 lbs. It took 8 months to hit 200 lbs and another year to hit 215 lbs. No fat. all muscle. No shakes, no weight gain powder, no drugs,no new age super 10 meals a day weird routines.

I worked out in a real gym. Heavy weights, 4-5 times a week alway pushing to muscle failure. and I ate a LOT of food. Eggs, chicken , fish, and vegetables by the ton.

If you dont have access to a gym then go with what you listed but try to get some freeweights. Just pushing your own bodyweight is only going to get you so far. Does your school have a weights room? That you can use regularly?

Can you get your parents to enroll you in kickboxing or a martial art? A lot of those places have weight rooms for members plus you can learn how to really defend yourself.

Posted Image

#17 Stark

Stark

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:02 AM

He's 16 and just starting out. It's a solid home workout to start with, try not to be so condescending just 'cause you think you're better because you've been working out longer. Besides, he might not have easy access to a gym.
Posted Image

R.I.P. LB RR PD

#18 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:14 AM

He's 16 and just starting out. It's a solid home workout to start with, try not to be so condescending just 'cause you think you're better because you've been working out longer. Besides, he might not have easy access to a gym.

Usually, you've got to be cruel to be kind.

It's not "solid" at all. It's a waste of time. If he's a COMPLETE noob, Starting Strength is the way to go. If he's been lifting for a bit, Lyle McDonald (bodyrecomposition.com) is the only source needed. Though at 16, Lyle's stuff is probably too advanced.

All this bodyweight/"functional fitness" stuff is just crap. Muscle follows strength.

#19 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,001 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:02 AM

King of the ES....you don't have to be a jerk and condescending to someone simply asking for advice.

Waste of time? For a 15 year old starting out? Kid's excited and you've cut him down - how's that good advice?

Cruel to be kind may work with some things, but you're absolutely wrong if you think it'll encourage someone just starting out to use the kind of "motivation" you're attempting. This is what scares people off - the bigshot know it alls who will intimidate them into not even trying. Who will overwhelm them with a bunch of mumbo jumbo talk and instruction. I'd suggest that keeping it simple at first would be the best start. Actually, anything is a start and doors will open at the appropriate time of progression.

Try a little encouragement instead of this horrible attitude to someone excited about getting active. Everyone starts somewhere.

To those encouraging a young beginner to "lift heavy"....he should likely ease in to this or is at real risk for injury until he acquires proper technique, etc.

Sure, as a goal - but to start out I'd say it's a better idea to get into a program and increase things over time as familiarity comes into play.

2421657-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

You can be livin the dream at home. Dont even need to put yer pants on.

-Offensive Threat

#20 Stark

Stark

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:30 AM

Usually, you've got to be cruel to be kind.

It's not "solid" at all. It's a waste of time. If he's a COMPLETE noob, Starting Strength is the way to go. If he's been lifting for a bit, Lyle McDonald (bodyrecomposition.com) is the only source needed. Though at 16, Lyle's stuff is probably too advanced.

All this bodyweight/"functional fitness" stuff is just crap. Muscle follows strength.

In this case, no. He's asking for advice and just starting out, no need to bash him because you've been training longer. It must make you feel real good to call a 16 year old kid a "COMPLETE noob". Clearly you don't know much, "starting strength is the way to go"? "Muscle follows strength"? Everyone's gotta start somewhere, you can't expect to start out with heavy weights. That's how injuries happen. You build muscle over time, with a healthy diet, and regular training.
"Functional fitness is just crap"? What's the point of having muscle if all you can do is lift heavy weights? Meatheads go into the gym and try to show off by lifting the heaviest weights possible in a sad attempt to show off. But they can barely do cardio, and run like bulky pigs. They also scoff at people who don't lift much, or those that are just starting out. Leave the kid alone, don't be a jerk.
Posted Image

R.I.P. LB RR PD

#21 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:21 AM

King of the ES....you don't have to be a jerk and condescending to someone simply asking for advice.

Waste of time? For a 15 year old starting out? Kid's excited and you've cut him down - how's that good advice?

Bodyweight exercises are wastes of time, yes. What will happen is that he won't see any results, so his "excitement" (which you speak of) will wane very quickly.

If his goal is strength (which leads to muscle), he would be wise to heed my advice and purchase Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength program, which is a program for beginners. If he'd rather "progress" by doing jumping jacks and hot yoga with the women in Lululemon gear, that's his choice, too. But don't tell me that I'm not giving good advice.

#22 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

In this case, no. He's asking for advice and just starting out, no need to bash him because you've been training longer. It must make you feel real good to call a 16 year old kid a "COMPLETE noob". Clearly you don't know much, "starting strength is the way to go"? "Muscle follows strength"? Everyone's gotta start somewhere, you can't expect to start out with heavy weights. That's how injuries happen. You build muscle over time, with a healthy diet, and regular training.
"Functional fitness is just crap"? What's the point of having muscle if all you can do is lift heavy weights? Meatheads go into the gym and try to show off by lifting the heaviest weights possible in a sad attempt to show off. But they can barely do cardio, and run like bulky pigs. They also scoff at people who don't lift much, or those that are just starting out. Leave the kid alone, don't be a jerk.

Posts like this really bother me.

YOU clearly are no expert, but you're now trying to tell me that I'm wrong by speaking in totally vague, useless generalities ("build muscle over time", "eat healthy", etc.).

1 - explain to me why he can't start with heavy weights. "Heavy" is relative. What's "heavy" to him, probably isn't, to me.

2 - "meatheads" go to the gym not to show off, they do it to be strong. And they lift as heavy as they can because it's the most efficient way to reach their goals - I'll now recommend you to read Stuart McRoberts' Beyond Brawn for a more in-depth look at this fact. Intensity should always be high. Lowering weight on the bar is a sure way to lose muscle. Progressive poundage increases should be the only goal of the regular gym-goer/weightlifter.

Also, nice further generalities to the guys who lift heavy. They all scoff at guys who lift light, and none of them can run. For your own sake, I hope you're about 15 years old, yourself, because you're really not all that bright.

#23 Patrick Kane

Patrick Kane

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:16 AM

While I agree with King of the ES, and anyone who talks about compound movements, but if the kid doesn't have access to the gym, then he has to do something.

Don't underestimate bodyweight workouts... For complete beginners, its a good place to start. Although having some dumbbells would be good, it seems he has a pull-up bar, which it self can develop a very nice back.

CDCEHL - Edmonton
CFJfNyM.png

#24 Guest_AriGold_*

Guest_AriGold_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:25 AM

YOU clearly are no expert, but you're now trying to tell me that I'm wrong by speaking in totally vague, useless generalities ("build muscle over time", "eat healthy", etc.).

1 - explain to me why he can't start with heavy weights. "Heavy" is relative. What's "heavy" to him, probably isn't, to me.

2 - "meatheads" go to the gym not to show off, they do it to be strong. And they lift as heavy as they can because it's the most efficient way to reach their goals - I'll now recommend you to read Stuart McRoberts' Beyond Brawn for a more in-depth look at this fact. Intensity should always be high. Lowering weight on the bar is a sure way to lose muscle. Progressive poundage increases should be the only goal of the regular gym-goer/weightlifter.

Also, nice further generalities to the guys who lift heavy. They all scoff at guys who lift light, and none of them can run. For your own sake, I hope you're about 15 years old, yourself, because you're really not all that bright.

I think you're giving the wrong person advice. While what you are saying is completely true, I feel a 15 year old kid starting out should develop fundamental strength, which is gained through push-ups and pull-ups etc.

Edited by AriGold, 06 July 2012 - 11:26 AM.

#25 BZRK

BZRK

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:47 PM

The testosterone in this thread is staggering.

DARRENHELM

Posted Image

marinated.pea

#26 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,952 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:28 PM

Bodyweight exercises are wastes of time, yes. What will happen is that he won't see any results, so his "excitement" (which you speak of) will wane very quickly.

If his goal is strength (which leads to muscle), he would be wise to heed my advice and purchase Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength program, which is a program for beginners. If he'd rather "progress" by doing jumping jacks and hot yoga with the women in Lululemon gear, that's his choice, too. But don't tell me that I'm not giving good advice.

Dips are probably the best thing you can do aside from bench presses to actually increase your bench press. From BB articles to my own personal experience. Especially when you can dip a couple added plates.
Posted Image

#27 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,001 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:41 PM

King of the ES, I think you honestly need to switch a letter to B. (All in good fun, your name just made it too easy) ;)

Anyhow, is this one of the guys you're promoting? Looks like his program could use some adjusting to me as he's not the ideal poster boy for overall fitness in my mind.

(Mark Rippetoe?)

Posted Image
But carry on with the infommercials and rejecting sound advice that incorporates an overall picture into this. You're throwing out advice like everyone's the same and their needs/goals are as well. But they're not. So sure, I admire that you're passionate about your own particular program and what has worked for you...but not everyone's you or the same (thank God). Believe me, not everyone is interested in the Incredible Hulk deal and so rejecting anything other than heavy is a bit one sided.

Yes, he said he wanted to bulk up for someone on the skinny side, but how do you define "heavy"? You've given no guidelines and have thrown out something that may lead to a beginner getting injured. That would be counterproductive and require backing away in order to recover from the injury. So, out of the gates, it would become a negative vs a positive thing. By starting slowly he can get used to the idea of working out and then keep it fresh by adding new dimensions to that as he goes. You don't give a kid a bike and say "go"...you start with training wheels and there are reasons for that.

We wouldn't need personal trainers if it was that simple...we could all refer to the same books/material and just "go". But any reputable trainer will personalize programs after assessing their client's needs, current state/history of working out, lifestyle, schedule, goals and other important details that can customize something for them. You jump in here like you've got the answers but I don't even think you've asked the questions. Might want to start there....

2421657-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

You can be livin the dream at home. Dont even need to put yer pants on.

-Offensive Threat

#28 Stark

Stark

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:41 PM

Posts like that really bother you? Then maybe you should take it into consideration that you will receive that kind of response the next time you try and bash a 15 year old over the internet.

Of course heavy is relative to everyone, but you were suggesting that what his workout wasn't a good place to start for a beginner who hasn't lifted weight. You targeted him in a way that would make him want to try to prove something by lifting weights that are too heavy for him, ultimately injuring himself. Like I said before, there's nothing wrong with his workout if he's just starting out and if he doesn't have access to a gym or equipment.

And muscle does not necessarily reflect strength, anyone who has done any martial arts can tell you that. Back in high school, my Strength & Fitness teacher was a short, lean Asian guy, and half the kids in the class were bigger and brawnier, but couldn't lift half of what he could. Your muscle size does not reflect what you can actually do, and how much strength you really have.
And mind you, remember that this kid is not a regular gym-goer or weight lifter, he plainly stated that. I don't understand why you have to be so condescending towards a 15 year old just because you've been training for longer.

And yes, that's fantastic for your physical fitness when you can't run. Real practical.

I'm not saying you're completely wrong, I agree with you on some points but you're giving the wrong advice to the wrong person. And bodyweight exercises are not completely useless. Again, it's a good place to start for a 15 year old. Must feel great to call one a noob over the internet though huh?
Posted Image

R.I.P. LB RR PD

#29 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,956 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:58 PM

I'm in
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#30 Patrick Kane

Patrick Kane

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:20 PM

Salter, Hammer88, Caboose.

Anyone else?

CDCEHL - Edmonton
CFJfNyM.png

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.