The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My Workout Routine (Suggestions?)

Salter

Hey, CDC. I'll give you a brief run down of myself. I'm 15, not the healtiest of eaters, I'm 6ft half an inch tall and weigh about 140 pounds. I am very skinny lol. I don't work out either. I know someone who is kind of a trainer and he gave me this routine to do as well as me eating 3 healthy meals a day. I wanted you get some of your opinions!

Part.1

33 wide stance pushups, (take as long as u need to all these sets)

33 mid stance pushups,

33 diamond stance pushups

Part2.

100 crunches. (if it doesnt hurt enough, do 200 )

do 1 minute of holding the v sit.

50-100 leg raises.

Part. 3

2-3 sets of pullups to failure

1-2 sets of widegrip or reverse grip (palm facing you) pullups.

I am doing that once every three days until my body gets used to it. Then every other day. (short jogs on my days off) Also I will be eating three healthy meals everyday. Being super strong and buff would be nice but all I'm looking for is to bulk up!

I was wondering if any of you had anything better or any changes to that routine aswell as types of healthy food I could have as a meal! Also share what you do and eat to stay healthy!

I'm sort of in the same scenario. I am 16(just turned 16 at the end of May) 5'10, 140 pounds. I was also looking for a workout routine to bulk up. I'm going to try your routine for a bit and see how it is! :)

As for help, I am not a expert at this, sorry.

I'm sort of in the same scenario. I am 16(just turned 16 at the end of May) 5'10, 140 pounds. I was also looking for a workout routine to bulk up. I'm going to try your routine for a bit and see how it is! :)

As for help, I am not a expert at this, sorry.

I'm not going to go into much detail, but.

EAT

SLEEP

TRAIN

Eat:

Over 500 calories of your caloric maintenance.

Find a website that tells you your maintenance, and add 500 calories to it. Keeping adding when you stop gaining weight.

What to eat? Protein is the most important at this point. Theres carbs, fats, but look that up yourself. Eat peanut butter sandwichs, drink TONS of milk, create a weight gainer shake (protein powder + oats + milk + peanut butter). Theres a lot more too it, look it up.

Sleep:

You need atleast 8 hours of sleep a day. Recovery is very important to gaining muscle.

Train:

Home workouts will not put much mass on, but since you're an absolute begginer, the routine looks fine. But it doesn't incorporate legs.. So do bodyweight squats, jump squats, one-legged squats and lunges.

You ultimately need a weightroom to get the most out of your bodybuilding potential, even if you want to bulk up. It's hard to hit your biceps, triceps, shoulders, back and legs efficiently without weight. Some will argue, but this is my opinion. You can only go so far with bodyweight...

Also for abs, do the P90X Ab Ripper X.

Reply if you have any more questions..

Actually, if anyone wants to start a homework routine together, then let me know, we all do it together on the same schedule, discuss about it, track how much we've done. It'll keep everyone motivated!

I'll need at least 4-5 people to participate before I start a thread.

Actually, if anyone wants to start a homework routine together, then let me know, we all do it together on the same schedule, discuss about it, track how much we've done. It'll keep everyone motivated!

Scratch what you're doing.

Eat well. Eat often. Lift heavy. Lift consistently.

Bench presses. Squats. Deadlifts. Barbell rows. Shoulder press. Point being: compound exercises. Isolation exercises are fine too but don't make them the bulk of your work out.

My leg work out the other day. Sets/reps vary:

Squats

Seated leg extension

Romanian deadlift

Hamstring curl

Seated calf extension

If you're interested in more, ask me. I went from 5'6 and 140 to 210 in two years max. I was exactly like you at one point and got to where I am today. I'm not an expert but I know what I'm talking about. Unfortunately my height remained the same :lol:

Or go to Reflex or Fuel and tell them you're new to this game and they'll set you up.

Oh, and whatever you do, do NOT read the forums of the bodybuilding page. 1) It's mostly gibberish. 2) A lot of what people say is factually incorrect/massive contradictions left right and center. 3)You're going to be more confused than when you first went there.

Stick to the articles and tutorials by actual professionals on the main page and not your casual, egotistical steroid monkey in the forum.

I was 19 years old 6' tall and 164 lbs. It took 8 months to hit 200 lbs and another year to hit 215 lbs. No fat. all muscle. No shakes, no weight gain powder, no drugs,no new age super 10 meals a day weird routines.

I worked out in a real gym. Heavy weights, 4-5 times a week alway pushing to muscle failure. and I ate a LOT of food. Eggs, chicken , fish, and vegetables by the ton.

If you dont have access to a gym then go with what you listed but try to get some freeweights. Just pushing your own bodyweight is only going to get you so far. Does your school have a weights room? That you can use regularly?

Can you get your parents to enroll you in kickboxing or a martial art? A lot of those places have weight rooms for members plus you can learn how to really defend yourself.

King of the ES....you don't have to be a jerk and condescending to someone simply asking for advice.

Waste of time? For a 15 year old starting out? Kid's excited and you've cut him down - how's that good advice?

Cruel to be kind may work with some things, but you're absolutely wrong if you think it'll encourage someone just starting out to use the kind of "motivation" you're attempting. This is what scares people off - the bigshot know it alls who will intimidate them into not even trying. Who will overwhelm them with a bunch of mumbo jumbo talk and instruction. I'd suggest that keeping it simple at first would be the best start. Actually, anything is a start and doors will open at the appropriate time of progression.

Try a little encouragement instead of this horrible attitude to someone excited about getting active. Everyone starts somewhere.

To those encouraging a young beginner to "lift heavy"....he should likely ease in to this or is at real risk for injury until he acquires proper technique, etc.

Sure, as a goal - but to start out I'd say it's a better idea to get into a program and increase things over time as familiarity comes into play.

Usually, you've got to be cruel to be kind.

It's not "solid" at all. It's a waste of time. If he's a COMPLETE noob, Starting Strength is the way to go. If he's been lifting for a bit, Lyle McDonald (bodyrecomposition.com) is the only source needed. Though at 16, Lyle's stuff is probably too advanced.

All this bodyweight/"functional fitness" stuff is just crap. Muscle follows strength.

Archived