The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shea Weber or Rick Nash?

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

294 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I keep seeing these discussions going on about how people want Rick Nash, and people want Shea Weber. Well they both won't be coming here, but there is possibility of getting one of these two, the real question is which one would you rather see in a Canucks uniform and why?

Having a nice power forward like Rick Nash would be amazing, using him with the Sedins and the Kesler line, the PP, a beast who can score. Nash is 28 years old at 6"4, plays RW, has a salary cap of $7.8M, and worth every penny in my opinion. Just want to say, seeing Booth last year play with the Sedins a bit, actually looked not to bad, just a thought, but there is still always Burrows.

Now having a defenceman stud like Shea Weber would also be amazing, someone who can literally play 30 mins a game if needed, and still be dominate. This guy can do it all, his defense is amazing he can shut down top offensive lines with no problem, throw guys around with his body, especially in front of the net which is very important. Weber also has a bomb of a shot, who would be an easy Sami Salo replacement, play on the PP, play PK if needed, overall Weber is a stud and a BC born. Weber is 26 turning 27, he is 6"4 the same as Nash, but has about 20 more pounds on him, his salary cap last year was $7.5M, but obviously with a longer contract signing it would cut the salary cap down as well, as for Nash you can't change his salary cap for a while.

In my opinion as much as I have always wanted a big power forward to play with the Sedins, because I think they deserve it, and would be just that much more of a dominate line with a big power forward, I still have to go with Weber. Weber is the real deal, he would help us out defensively in a big way, and offensively at the same time. Also if Schneider is going to be the starter not that I don't have faith in him, but still he is a rookie as far as being a starter, having a guy like Weber in front of Cory would be very beneficial I think to him and to the team.

I'd focus on Weber more than Nash for sure.

Both are excellent players around the same age and close to the same salary. If I were a GM, I would build my team around a franchise defenseman rather than a top-tier power forward any day.

Just have a look at the histories of Nashville and Columbus since both players have been with their respective teams. Who has fared better? The Preds. Both teams have tried to build around their superstars, but, one has been far more successful than the other.

:towel::canucks:

If it was for our team I would take Weber over Nash anyday and everyday.

We don't need Nash, but we need Weber. Nash would be amazing with the Sedins but the Sedins are already amazing.

As for Weber. we need a #1, Edler is emerging as that so to have both of those guys on one pair would be amazing, Weber would quickly forget about Suter if Edler can fill out his potential.

So Weber, no question.

It's really close, but based on our needs right now, I'd say Rick Nash. If we hadn't of acquired Garrison, I'd probably pick Weber. Only because I think our defense is much better with Garrison(a poor mans Weber) who will also help Edler reach #1 status. With the addition of Weber our D would suddenly get really crowded. But our lack of a game-changing forward up front has been pretty evident in the playoffs when we got absolutely shut down by LA and Boston. And Rick Nash is such a rare talent when it comes to the ideal Sedins linemate. He is capable of putting up 40-50 goals next to the Sedins and his size, speed, and goal scoring is a deadly combination that Burrows lacks when it comes playoff time. Plus Nash has been on a horrible team for such a long time now and he'll be more motivated than ever on a cup contender. The same can be said for Weber but he does play with some pretty solid talent in Nashville.

It's really close, but based on our needs right now, I'd say Rick Nash. If we hadn't of acquired Garrison, I'd probably pick Weber. Only because I think our defense is much better with Garrison(a poor mans Weber) who will also help Edler reach #1 status. With the addition of Weber our D would suddenly get really crowded. But our lack of a game-changing forward up front has been pretty evident in the playoffs when we got absolutely shut down by LA and Boston. And Rick Nash is such a rare talent when it comes to the ideal Sedins linemate. He is capable of putting up 40-50 goals next to the Sedins and his size, speed, and goal scoring is a deadly combination that Burrows lacks when it comes playoff time. Plus Nash has been on a horrible team for such a long time now and he'll be more motivated than ever on a cup contender. The same can be said for Weber but he does play with some pretty solid talent in Nashville.

We don't have room for either.

Our top-6 is solid right now with 2 point-per-game players (Sedins), 2 60-point players (Kesler and Burrows) and 2 50-point players (Booth and Higgins), all of whom are 20-goal scorers. Even our 3rd line has 2 40-point scorers (Raymond and Hansen) and a 30-point scorer in Lapierre. That's already more offence than most NHL teams.

Our quality minutes on the blueline are already taken up with Hamhuis and Bieksa who play 22-24 minutes a game, Edler who averages around the same and Garrison who hit 23 minutes last season. Our 3rd pairing will have to play 15-17 minutes a game anyway.

Also cap-wise neither makes sense. We have 4 guys on defence costing us well over 4 million and Edler who is set to hit 5-6 million, there is no room for another 7 million dollar guy unless we let Edler walk or get rid of Ballard and then some.

Kassian is not ready yet for those of you that feel he is the answer for the Sedins..... and don't even go there with Bitz. At a cap hit that looks reasonable especially the term, Nash looks really good in my eyes. How much would it cost and for how long a term to get Weber? Another 13 year but 120 million dollar contract? Yah he rocks but no more Luongo lenghth contracts for this team.

to nashville:

edler

kesler

raymond

to vancouver:

weber's rfa rights

legwand

to columbus:

luongo

booth

jensen

1st

+

to vancouver:

nash

letestu

with some cap space left to add a back up goalie and shore up the depth:

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

Rick Nash ($7.800m) / David Legwand ($4.500m) / Chris Higgins ($1.900m)

Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Mark Letestu ($0.625m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Andrew Ebbett ($0.600m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Shea Weber ($7.500m)

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m)

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,470,000; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $2,730,000

Archived