Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Shea Weber or Rick Nash?

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

Poll: Shea Weber or Rick Nash? (295 member(s) have cast votes)

Which one would you want?

1. Shea Weber (238 votes [80.95%])

Percentage of vote: 80.95%

2. Rick Nash (56 votes [19.05%])

Percentage of vote: 19.05%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 nucks all the way

nucks all the way

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:27 AM

I would definitely go for Weber. We got lit up for defensive issues the last two playoffs and pairing Hamhuis and Weber would be a huge boost. I think Nash is amazing but he is asking for the sky and the moon. 7.8 cap hit is way too much in my opinion. I'd rather get Weber and then sign someone like Doan.

#32 canucks_dynasty

canucks_dynasty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,067 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:39 AM

Having some fun with Capgeek. Both Nash and Weber could fit in under the cap next year. Obviously the below scenario is contingent on Nash waiving NTC to go to VAN, Weber not re-signing with NSH forcing a trade, and Luongo willing to stay with VAN.

Trades:
Nash for Schneider + Booth + Schroeder (+ whatever else you think would make the deal).
Weber for Edler + Ballard + 1st 2013 + Jensen (+ whatever else you think would make the deal).

You can replace 6th-8th D with other Dmen of comparable $ value.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)
Mason Raymond ($2.000m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Dale Weise ($0.701m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Shea Weber ($7.500m)
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
Kevin Connauton ($0.900m) / Yann Sauve ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Eddie Lack ($0.900m)

------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,253,833; BONUSES: $297,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $946,167

Take that Minny!!!!

#33 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:41 AM

As a wee kid (I was a midget), I had the good fortune of watching the Canadiens dynasty of the 1970s. At the time I had no idea of how the team was structured (personnel wise), but as I got older, I realized the strength of that team was the defence corp made up of Larry Robinson, Serge Savard and Guy Lapointe (three all-stars). They had moving parts in Don Awery, Pierre Bouchard, Gilles Lupien, Brian Engblom, on the blue line who were all big and competent players. Backstopping them was Ken Dryden (they did have superstar up front in Guy Lafleur, so they had really good balance).

The Islander dynasty was built on the same blue print...Denis Potvin, Ken Morrow, Stefan Perssonn, Dave Langevin, etc...all star defensemen, supported by very good goaltending in Billy Smith and Glenn Resch (they did also have all star forwards in Bryan Trottier, Mike Bossy and Clarke Gillies).

In the past 20 years or so, most Stanley Cup winners have had 2 Norris Trophy candidate considerations...Coffey/Lowe; Niedermayer/Stevens; Niedermayer/Pronger; Bourque/Foote; Keith/Seabrook; Lidstrom (okay he flew solo, but at his very prime, he was good enough to get two nominations per season himself...I know...ridiculous thing to say but he was that good).

So, the point of this trip down memory lane is that I am predisposed to believe that you build the team from the back end out and is a long-winded way of saying, if given the choice between Nash and Weber, with all things being equal, Weber is my pick. Thanks for your patience.

#34 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:43 AM

:picard:
These posts bum me out, I want to know what the chances of weber coming here actually are (if any), part of me gets so excited at the idea but the other part of me knows it just wont happen...
Posted Image

#35 Max-a-Million

Max-a-Million

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:00 AM

MG doesn't have the trade gonads that Minny has. No way he would go out on the limb with big, big bucks to get either of them or Weber and Doan. Nice to daydream but reality is, the Canucks will be a season performer, missing the boat in the playoffs for a long time to come with their team of "utility" players.

I spend half my money on Wine, Women and Song.
The other half I waste!

#36 brownky

brownky

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:02 AM

I would say Weber because defense wins championships.

Obviously if we could wind up with Nash for Booth and a first, then of course, but since the Titanic is more likely to sail again than that trade to occur, Weber is a more reasonable option as well.

#37 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:06 AM

:picard:
These posts bum me out, I want to know what the chances of weber coming here actually are (if any), part of me gets so excited at the idea but the other part of me knows it just wont happen...

That's pretty easy: slim to none. Judging by the article in The Province MG wasn't even considering Weber. Had things worked the way MG planned our D would have been:

Edler/Garrison
Hamhuis/Bieksa
Ballard/Salo
Tanev

Salo wouldn't take the one year deal despite MG's guarantee he'd re-sign Salo to one year deals as long as he wanted to play. The same way Lidstrom finished his career. A pity that would have been a pretty good D.

Edited by Baggins, 06 July 2012 - 09:07 AM.

Posted Image

#38 NLluvitorleaveit

NLluvitorleaveit

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:06 AM

Rick Nash because we need him more at this moment.( imo) Then we can sign Weber next yr, I am sure Management can find a way to creat capspace.After all where theres a will..... <_<

Edited by NLluvitorleaveit, 06 July 2012 - 09:07 AM.

Posted Image

#39 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:08 AM

I keep seeing these discussions going on about how people want Rick Nash, and people want Shea Weber....

So do I. Where's the neither option?
Posted Image

#40 NLluvitorleaveit

NLluvitorleaveit

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:17 AM

Rick Nash n Shea Weber are the only options.Don't see any other awesome players out there.

Posted Image

#41 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:18 AM

Weber, but I would not consider getting Nash "settling"

Have no problem with a damn the torpedoes offense approach.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

“That guys an idiot. It’s his own fault if he can’t tell the difference between an all star center and a plug defenceman”

"It's not the location. We just can't beat the Canucks. Thank god they're in the West."

#42 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:21 AM

We need a 2nd line forward, an impact player, more than we need a solid 2 way defenseman!

#43 Thunder Bunnies

Thunder Bunnies

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:21 AM

Sign Doan, trade for Weber.

#44 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,622 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:23 AM

tbh Nash would solidify our top 6 and be the perfect winger for the Sedins :\ could bump burrows down to kesler's line

Agreed.
Posted Image

#45 dura_mater

dura_mater

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:25 AM

I keep seeing these discussions going on about how people want Rick Nash, and people want Shea Weber. Well they both won't be coming here, but there is possibility of getting one of these two, the real question is which one would you rather see in a Canucks uniform and why?

Having a nice power forward like Rick Nash would be amazing, using him with the Sedins and the Kesler line, the PP, a beast who can score. Nash is 28 years old at 6"4, plays RW, has a salary cap of $7.8M, and worth every penny in my opinion. Just want to say, seeing Booth last year play with the Sedins a bit, actually looked not to bad, just a thought, but there is still always Burrows.

Now having a defenceman stud like Shea Weber would also be amazing, someone who can literally play 30 mins a game if needed, and still be dominate. This guy can do it all, his defense is amazing he can shut down top offensive lines with no problem, throw guys around with his body, especially in front of the net which is very important. Weber also has a bomb of a shot, who would be an easy Sami Salo replacement, play on the PP, play PK if needed, overall Weber is a stud and a BC born. Weber is 26 turning 27, he is 6"4 the same as Nash, but has about 20 more pounds on him, his salary cap last year was $7.5M, but obviously with a longer contract signing it would cut the salary cap down as well, as for Nash you can't change his salary cap for a while.

In my opinion as much as I have always wanted a big power forward to play with the Sedins, because I think they deserve it, and would be just that much more of a dominate line with a big power forward, I still have to go with Weber. Weber is the real deal, he would help us out defensively in a big way, and offensively at the same time. Also if Schneider is going to be the starter not that I don't have faith in him, but still he is a rookie as far as being a starter, having a guy like Weber in front of Cory would be very beneficial I think to him and to the team.

Rick Nash 6'4" 219lbs, 30 goals most of his NHL seasons with a couple 40 goal seasons. He's 28 years old and had 104 hits last year. Little to no supporting cast

Shea Weber - similar size/hits. Supporting cast - Suter and Rinne. Weber BEST +/- was last year at +22 on a very defense first Nashville team. Do you know what Kevin Bieksa's best +/- is? +32

Canucks: 8 goals in 7 games in the SCF. Is it really a question who would benefit this team more? Just imagine what our second line would look like:

Booth Kesler Nash

You really think Nash is gonna get pushed around come playoff time?
"BoKnows53"
My stinky team isn't on top of the Standings anymore Waah waaahh, fire everyone because I say so

- New Era Canucks Fans

#46 bigshooter

bigshooter

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

Rick Nash n Shea Weber are the only options.Don't see any other awesome players out there.

Mr bobby ryan cheaper and playoff proven player why not go hard for him wont have to give up as much for ryan and hes big has good hands and puts the puck in the net he doesnt want to be in Anaheim ne more

#47 It's Bieksa's Fault

It's Bieksa's Fault

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:30 AM

Shea Weber is a guy to build around, but the Canucks aren't building. They have a small window of 2-3 years before the Sedins decline, Kesler becomes more injury-prone and our defence starts becoming even less effective.

Both Nash and Weber will put us over the top, but Nash is a much less risky piece to acquire, as he doesn't require us to sign him. In any other situation than the one we are in, I'd choose Weber, but Nash is just much easier to get.

#48 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,952 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:35 AM

MG doesn't have the trade gonads that Minny has. No way he would go out on the limb with big, big bucks to get either of them or Weber and Doan. Nice to daydream but reality is, the Canucks will be a season performer, missing the boat in the playoffs for a long time to come with their team of "utility" players.

Minny didnt trade for Parise/Suter. Guys like you would be bitching if the Canucks spent 190mil plus on 2 players.

#49 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:38 AM

Shea Weber is a guy to build around, but the Canucks aren't building. They have a small window of 2-3 years before the Sedins decline, Kesler becomes more injury-prone and our defence starts becoming even less effective.

Both Nash and Weber will put us over the top, but Nash is a much less risky piece to acquire, as he doesn't require us to sign him. In any other situation than the one we are in, I'd choose Weber, but Nash is just much easier to get.

"easy to get"??? We're gonna have to give up soooooo much to get Nash...

#50 NLluvitorleaveit

NLluvitorleaveit

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:40 AM

Mr bobby ryan cheaper and playoff proven player why not go hard for him wont have to give up as much for ryan and hes big has good hands and puts the puck in the net he doesnt want to be in Anaheim ne more

Rly so why is no1 going on n on about him here??? I see he is from NJ maybe the Devils will sign him since they lost Parise.

Edited by NLluvitorleaveit, 06 July 2012 - 09:49 AM.

Posted Image

#51 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:55 AM

Both would be nice.

#52 RIPRYP

RIPRYP

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:41 AM

Weber-Edler
Hammer-Bieksa
Garrison-Ballard

BOOM

RIP to the BEST pound for pound fighter the NHL has ever seen. Will be missed.

#53 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,151 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:50 AM

Shane Doan - no brainer. Right winger, UFA. Priority #1 to try to sign him.
Then Weber - if he comes here as a UFA.
Don't need Nash - doesn't fit, not enough of an upgrade to sell the farm, price too high in every sense.

#54 SimplyHockey

SimplyHockey

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:56 AM

I keep seeing these discussions going on about how people want Rick Nash, and people want Shea Weber. Well they both won't be coming here, but there is possibility of getting one of these two, the real question is which one would you rather see in a Canucks uniform and why?

Having a nice power forward like Rick Nash would be amazing, using him with the Sedins and the Kesler line, the PP, a beast who can score. Nash is 28 years old at 6"4, plays RW, has a salary cap of $7.8M, and worth every penny in my opinion. Just want to say, seeing Booth last year play with the Sedins a bit, actually looked not to bad, just a thought, but there is still always Burrows.

Now having a defenceman stud like Shea Weber would also be amazing, someone who can literally play 30 mins a game if needed, and still be dominate. This guy can do it all, his defense is amazing he can shut down top offensive lines with no problem, throw guys around with his body, especially in front of the net which is very important. Weber also has a bomb of a shot, who would be an easy Sami Salo replacement, play on the PP, play PK if needed, overall Weber is a stud and a BC born. Weber is 26 turning 27, he is 6"4 the same as Nash, but has about 20 more pounds on him, his salary cap last year was $7.5M, but obviously with a longer contract signing it would cut the salary cap down as well, as for Nash you can't change his salary cap for a while.

In my opinion as much as I have always wanted a big power forward to play with the Sedins, because I think they deserve it, and would be just that much more of a dominate line with a big power forward, I still have to go with Weber. Weber is the real deal, he would help us out defensively in a big way, and offensively at the same time. Also if Schneider is going to be the starter not that I don't have faith in him, but still he is a rookie as far as being a starter, having a guy like Weber in front of Cory would be very beneficial I think to him and to the team.

As much as either acquisition would be great, I would prefer Nash over Weber because he would do so much better on the score board and goals are what win games. I am not being critical of Weber in any sense, I simply believe scoring is far more important to the team and Nash would be a perfect fit with the Sedins.
"If you win say nothing, if you lose say less."

#55 jimmyking8888

jimmyking8888

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:13 AM

EITHER one would be fine.

#56 SimplyHockey

SimplyHockey

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

"easy to get"??? We're gonna have to give up soooooo much to get Nash...

Why couldn't Luongo be part of the equation to get Nash.
(1) Columbus needs a goalie badly
(2) Nash is signed up at 7.8M for the next 8 or so years.
(3) Weber is a RFA and will be demanding far above Nash's salary just like Sutor and Parise
(4) An offer sheet for Weber will cost the Canucks too much in the future for draft picks
(5) Nash wants to be traded, Weber can still be signed or an offer sheet can be matched by Nashville. The Preds cannot afford to lose two prime defensemen in the same year and remain competitive. IMHO Nashville will not deal Weber as much as Canuck fans would love to have him
(6) Nashville does not need a goaltender so we would still be stuck with Luongo's contract and also have Weber's if we could sign him
(7) It would take a lengthy front loaded contract to get Weber whereas Nash's contract would be steady for the next several years
(8) Nash is a power forwarded who can put the puck in the net, He does a great job for Columbus now, look what he could do playing with the Sedins
(9) Our defense as it stands can still do a reasonable job. Supportive back checking by our forwards would supplement the D's efforts. More scoring potential and decent defense makes Nash a better fit and makes he Canucks much stronger and more competitive

My humble thoughts on the matter anyway.

Edited by SimplyHockey, 06 July 2012 - 11:29 AM.

"If you win say nothing, if you lose say less."

#57 .Naslund

.Naslund

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:34 AM

Shea Weber for sure, we've never had a player like him
Posted Image

#58 Cup2012

Cup2012

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:48 AM

There are a number of Weber or Nash or Weber and Nash topics on the board. I know there is wishful thinking but neither player will make or break a team. Weber may be a bit more of a Stud than Nash but if he was the answer, then Nashville would have won the Cup with their decent team this year.

A team like the Canucks would be crippled with either's salary (potential Salary in Weber's case). I'd rather that our GM stick with good players signed at or below their value, and avoid the 8-10 Mill cap hit players.

More importantly, enough with the Nash and Weber topics! Use one of the existing 100 threads.

#59 Cup2012

Cup2012

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:06 PM

Oh, and Nash would not be easy to get for Luongo, I doubt Louie wants to go there.

#60 Ronning4center

Ronning4center

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:29 PM

Nash for sure.....people really need to grasp that we've lost kesler for half the year and it will likely be next september before hes back to form. After the Sedins we have booth as our power forward......thats it folks....we are in desperate need of a goal scoring powerforward......not to mention we already have the top five highest paid defense in the league....we dont need to add nine million to that. Webber will want nine million next year guys for a huge long term.......nash for six years at 7.8 is much better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.