The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo on the fox

beer&meat

Getting rid of Luongo would be a major mistake. Maybe Gillis is so backed in to a corner no he has no choice, but it's still a very unfortunate circumstance and there's a lot of people should have handled it better. I feel like the Luongo situation strikes at the very heart of Vancouver hockey fandom. So much negativity, from the fans, in the press, all over, the mood surrounding the hockey team has been as overcast as the weather usually is.

For a guy like Luongo who has brought so much to this team and this city, for him to have to leave in this way right after signing that lifetime deal, right after taking this team to within a game of the Cup, it makes us all look bad, even the ones who weren't badmouthing him all the time.

CS has performed "phenomenally" as a back up. Stop comparing a back up to a number one goalie who played a great majority of the games. CS has not been tested for this so don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Also, this criticism to run Lui out of town has intensified 10 fold since CS's emergence. If you can't see that, then you are also blind (in addition to something else)

Seriously???????????? what a douch for picking the fox as his venue for this statement.This kind of news has to be presented not sprung on us over the radio.

He didn't "pick the fox as his venue for this statement". He's in the WSOP in Vegas tomorrow and was on as an invited guest. Of course, the topic turns to the events here and he has to give some sort of response. But it isn't like he orchestrated this to make an announcement....it was an interview.

<sarcasm>The media and fans ran Luongo out of town. Mike Gillis reads the Province and is like, "hmmm...I think I'll base my GM decisions on what someone writes in this paper. but just to be sure I better login to canucks.com message board to get the final and most valid opinions on what I should do as general manager of the NHL Vancouver Canucks franchise." </sarcasm>

He didn't "pick the fox as his venue for this statement". He's in the WSOP in Vegas tomorrow and was on as an invited guest. Of course, the topic turns to the events here and he has to give some sort of response. But it isn't like he orchestrated this to make an announcement....it was an interview.

The thing about Luongo is not that he's a bad, or inconsistent whatever goalie, quite the opposite. He's a great goaltender, and remarkably consistent... at being a human being.

What does that mean? He has highs and lows like everyone, like a lot of people they're usually really high or really low, sometimes they are balanced but not that often. I feel that Luongo is the type of person who internalizes greatly what he's feeling and invariably when this happens no matter what your profession is, it tends to impact performance.

Schneider on the other hand seems to have a much more even demeanor, the sample size may be a bit small from a hockey standpoint as far as what he's shown us skill wise, but I believe that from a mental standpoint he is far stronger and way more suited to this market than the credit he is being given.

It's this single tangible trait I believe that has forced Luongo into this position; if there is any one position that has the potential to keep a ship righted through rocky seas it is the goaltender. If you have a person who oozes calmness, clarity and focus the rest of the team is more apt to pick up on it and help right the ship sooner.

I wish Luongo all the best, but I believe that Schneider will surpass Luongo and give us far fewer reasons to lash out and lay blame.

Perhaps this was all orchestrated from the beginning; Luongo saying what he said in the post season locker room interview, Cory Schneider signing before Luongo being traded, Luongo now publicly acknowledging what we have all been speculating on for so long.

At first I was irritated about the interview, having had the opportunity now to listen a couple more times I am beginning to see all of the pieces come together. I would not be surprised if Luongo was traded before the end of this month.

Archived