The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo on the fox

beer&meat

The NHL is a businuess - and businuesses make businuess decisions. The posters blaming the fan base are actually insulting Luo by implying that some booing fans or faceless posters could get under his skin. Luo is a proffessional and knows how to play with stress and with distractions. In the end it was the Canucks brass that decided on moving to Cory. Lou has been classy through out this. A million cheering or a million booing fans would not be the reason for either goalie staying or going - AV deciding who his starting goalie is the reason. And again - Lou is a warrior and no fan posting hate on a forum - booing him at a game is going to make him want to run lol - Just how weak do you folks think he is lol

I think it was AV that told the public Luo would be traded.

Remember Gillis telling the press that AV did not mean what he said?

At this point in time Luo probably cares less what the impact of his remarks are.

Can you blame him?

I think it was AV that told the public Luo would be traded.

Remember Gillis telling the press that AV did not mean what he said?

At this point in time Luo probably cares less what the impact of his remarks are.

Can you blame him?

It is the media and stupid fans that are driving him out of town. He is arguably the best goalie we ever had and we treat him like this.

Shame on some of you morons.

We will always be a goalie graveyard.

Expect Cory to be run out of here before his contract ends as well

Yea it's pretty obv Lou will be gone sooner then later. I jus hope mg doesn't wait too long. Lou is a great goalie, will get u to the playoffs but will always have mental breakdowns that result in losing the series .. Time for Cory. Get over it Lou fans. Schnieds is our goalie now, not Lou

It really sucks that the Canucks are in this situation. Lou is all class. The haters are just haters. The fact he says flat out "it is time to move on, it is a mutual agreement that it is time for Corey to take over" this guy will always be one of my all time favorite Canucks. All the idiots bringing the hate just STFU please !

I find it odd that everyone seems to think that the fans and media drove him out of town.

Here's a real fact: If you play in Vancouver, you better expect to put a great effort in every single night.  This means not being scored on like a sieve during the playoffs especially.  Now don't get me wrong - it was not all his fault since the games he really looked poor in were also games the rest of the team didn't show up to play.  But the fact is that it is *very* rare to see Schneider take important games off.  In fact, he shines when it counts, such as in the playoffs and on the penalty kill. Playing in Vancouver is exceptionally difficult, and I don't think Luongo was strong enough mentally to handle the pressure.

The simple fact of the matter is that Schneider outplayed Luongo for the last couple of years - especially last year.  And management is going to go with the goalie that gives us the wins... especially if he comes at a lower cap hit.

Luongo is a world-class goalie.  While I no longer rank him as the #1-#2 or 3 goalie in years past, I'd still say he is in the top 10 for sure.  I wish him the very best and hope he does well whereever he goes.  However, as he said in the interview, it is time to move on.

In terms of ability, until Schneider proves he can be a reliable starter,

Luongo > Schneider

Contract wise, and for future potential

Schneider > Luongo

It's just a matter of weighing which things are more valuable than the others.

I feel confident that moving forward keeping Schneider over Luongo will be a decent decision.

Well stated. This isn't the first time, nor will it be the last time, that the idiotic media/fans rally against a player (or coach, or GM) in this town for no good reason other than the fact they've convinced each other (idiotic media/fans) that this certian person needs to go. Personally, I'd like to see several media (and thousands of fans) run out of this town myself.

I want Luongo traded for a whole different reason then most people. The guy doesn't deserve to play here. He is so good and gets so much sh** its unbelievable. I want him traded so he doesn't feel like crap everytime he lets in a goal. It happens. He will be happy in Florida and his new teammates will love him!

+ Cory Schneider is younger as well.

For once I wish the Canucks could handle the goaltending situation like the Bruins did. They gave Rask ample opportunity, but the following year went with the guy who they felt could win them the Cup and that was Tim Thomas. Sure the contracts are all but different.

I guess the moral of the story is that they had loyalty in Thomas all along, they just gave him some more time to rediscover his game. The risk paid of and they won the Stanley Cup (How is a different and bitter story, I know)

Luongo has never had a bad season here, has smashed most Canuck records. But the playoffs are a different beast and its not 1 man's blame game.

I will leave it in the hands of Mike Gillis. He knows what he is doing. Like I said in the previous post. I will support Schneids like all Canucks fans should when in fact we get the news of the trade.

But one cannot arguably deny that the Vancouver Canucks let one the premier goaltenders out of the'yre grasps because they simply lost faith in him.

Yea it's pretty obv Lou will be gone sooner then later. I jus hope mg doesn't wait too long. Lou is a great goalie, will get u to the playoffs but will always have mental breakdowns that result in losing the series .. Time for Cory. Get over it Lou fans. Schnieds is our goalie now, not Lou

The notion that the 'fans have driven Luongo out of town' is asinine. If anything, the fans in Vancouver supported Luongo much, much better than he was in Florida and Long Island, by selling out every single home game. Is that not support? How would have this turned out in any other city? The exact same way. Fans as a group are no different than any other group, except in so far as some fans actually go to the games.

Archived