The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo on the fox

beer&meat

Man I love Roberto, it's unfortunate that this whole situation is what it is.

He's a great player, a great person. Just listening to the interview, he has a great sense of humor. Wherever he goes I will still be a big fan.

I don't know how people can hate such a great great player and person.

Guest BuckFoston

your an idiot. you want LU traded but yet now he is saying it openly its been a good 6 years you don't like that...

U fans expect LU to just sit at home in his room and not speak to anyone. Pick on every little thing he says.

You guys don't want or like Lu but you want him to do everything for your team. If I were him, I would not care one bit about my team I am leaving because your still going to be playing for another team and could be competeing against your former team. If Lu goes to Chicago which is possible, you think he wants the Canucks to still do well and hopes he helps them out in a trade?! Get real stupid fans.

To me, Luongo's comments in this interview mean that a deal is within reach and will be completed before training camp. If there was not a deal within reach, and if it seemed a reasonable possibility that Luongo still be a Canuck when the season started, then Luongo's comments would have been inflammatory. They show that he really doesn't want to be here. And if it was possible he would be forced to stick around, I don't think he would've said anything that would've added to the goalie controversy. Lu is smarter than that.

Accordingly, I believe Gillis is holding up the deal because he wants to explore all his other free agency and trade opportunities before trading Luongo. The benefit of doing this is ensuring that whatever assets Luongo does return in a trade address the team's specific weaknesses.

Let's assume Gillis is talking to other teams about trades not involving Luongo. Let's also assume there are remaining free agents that Gillis would like to sign.

Perhaps Gillis is talking to Glen Sather about Brandon Dubinsky. I wouldn't be surprised if Gillis coveted Dubinksy as a long-term solution to our need for an additional top-9 centre. If Gillis can make a deal for Dubinsky in the near future, then there would be no need to trade Luongo for a centre, and Gillis would likely target a different asset in the Luongo deal.

Perhaps Gillis would love to sign Shane Doan to fill our need for a top-6 winger. If Gillis accomplishes this, then there would be no need to trade Luongo for a top-6 winger, such as Joffrey Lupul (just speculating there).

So I would assume that Gillis has a variety of options when it comes to trading Luongo. And he's just waiting, I bet, until he has a better idea of which option best suits the team's needs.

Let's face it: it doesn't make sense that a goalie of Luongo's calibre not be highly desired by rival GMs. There are a handful of teams out there who would be substantially improved if they were backstopped by Luongo. With Luongo, Toronto no doubt would have made the playoffs last year. Florida likely would have defeated New Jersey in the first round of the playoffs. Washington could well have gotten past the Rangers and made it to the Finals. Luongo is still an elite goalie, and whichever team he goes to will be much improved.

Further, the goalie market has gone way up in the last year or so. It started with Bryzgalov and Rinne getting big deals last summer. And it has continued this summer with the contracts signed by Quick and Price. All of a sudden, Luongo's contract looks pretty good.

Therefore, it is doubtful that the reason Luongo has not yet been traded is that other teams don't want to give up valuable assets to acquire him. It is also unlikely that other teams are put off by Luongo's contract. Rather, Gillis is the one holding up the deal. Gillis is sitting back and patiently calculating which prospective suitor will offer the Canucks the most fitting return.

Could he deal with 'Chelsea Dagger' in Chicago?

"I like that song. It's catchy. I heard it seven times in one game." :lol:

SOURCE: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/roberto-luongo-says-time-move-vancouver-talks-blackhawks-190948089--nhl.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Man, I'll miss Luongo. I would still support him, like I am going to with Salo. Those are the players that you just cant just ignore when they leave the team.

Archived