The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If Vancouver had beaten L.A in Round One

Curmudgeon

Purely speculative, but here goes:

So, if L.A. hadn't beaten Vancouver, and the Canucks moved on with Luongo in goal until whatever ending might have happened, would we still be awaiting a Luongo trade?

I think maybe we would.

If Vancouver went on to win it all, with Luongo in goal, all might be forgiven and Gillis would have been put in the position of having to move Schneider. That would have been a hockey trade with a couple of very good players and draft picks coming back. Or perhaps Luongo might have said, "I won my Cup, now I want to go somewhere where I don't get hate mail every time I let in a soft one, which is probably every game now."

Or, if Schneider had somehow won the L.A. series and was the starter going forward, Luongo would have been where he is now.

If, however, Vancouver lost in the second or third or final round with Luongo in goal, the Luongo haters would be out in full force and he'd be exactly where he is today: sitting at a poker table in Vegas waiting for Gillis to call. Schneider would have been re-signed.

I know, I know, if IFS and BUTS were candy and nuts we'd all be pretty happy, but here's my take:

The only way for Luongo to stay in Vancouver past this season would have been for him to win the Stanley Cup. I think the Canucks brass believed this, too. I believe they forced the issue by starting Schneider ahead of Luongo. And the rest, as they say, is history.

Guest BuckFoston

Ey, ey... I got one better. WHAT IF.... Vancouver had beaten Boston in Round 4? OOOOO.... *mind blown* :rolleyes:

Canucks simply did not have it this season to take it all the way. I could tell things were not right through out the regular season. I'm not disapointed though because there were some very good moments otherwise. This team know's what it is capable of, so the future of this team is still very bright.

What if, what if. This is nothing more than another Luongo thread. It's all if's. Lu's time is up, yea it'll be hard to see him go, but this is hockey, and this kind of stuff happens, let's just embrace the future, and hope that MG can do something that will improve this team and ultimately win the cup.

What if we had won the first game and lost the last four? What if we had won the second game, but lost the first and last three? What if we advanced to the third round and lost in a game seven in a 1-0 game in triple overtime on a 5 minute 5 on 3 power play? What if Luongo bought a shot gun and went postal? What if I went postal?

Archived