The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fan base already getting sentimental over Luongo

six-0h-four-

With the only certainty about Luongo's future being that it won't be as a Canuck, it seems the Vancouver fan base has already shifted its feelings about their six year number one goaltender. A good portion of the fan base has been torching Luongo for the past few seasons... some of that does fall on his shoulders but definitely not all of it deserved.

After losing to the eventual Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings in the first round, and the emergence of Schneider as a shoe in for the number one position, it became clear that there was not room for two. Soon after the news came that Luongo had asked for a trade, and months later his first official interview on CFOX which cleared some misconceptions.

Slowly throughout the summer, it seems that much of the fan base that was anti-Luongo has shifted into sentiment, knowing that it was a certainty Bobby Lu would not be coming back. Frankly I'm surprised that it started happening this quickly, but I am definitely happy that it has. No matter which side of the fence you have been on throughout the years, nobody can question this man's work ethic and integrity. He has without a doubt put six solid years of work in for this organization; In a place where, frankly, goaltenders are not treated virtuously.

He is arguably this club's best goalie of all-time, (Kirk Mclean may have something to say about that) and he has taken this whole situation with grace and dignity. In the years to come, I believe Luongo will be remembered for these very qualities, and will one day be heading to the rafters in Rogers Arena. (As in the Ring of Honour) Although he did not get this market a much needed Stanley Cup, he did get us close. He brought us an Olympic Gold Medal which no Canuck goalie has ever done. And last but not least he gave us solidity at the back end, which this franchise had not had for many years.

I have not taken him for granted. I feel that he should continue playing here even if it means splitting games with Schneider. He's the best goaltender we have ever had and it will be a travesty to lose him. I have a feeling that most Canuck fans that are flaming him are too young to remember back before we had him.

Schneider is great but he's only proven he can be brilliant in short stints. There is a huge difference between 35 and 65 games and down the stretch his brilliance will diminish as the season wears on him. Luongo may not be our clutch but he is our workhorse. He's always solid down the stretch even if he IS outplayed by Schneider. Schneider won't be able to keep it up over the long stretch. Splitting games is our best chance of winning a cup. I truly believe we won't win won without Luongo, even if Schneider might be the one to win it for us. It's an important distinction.

I have a feeling Schneider's terrible puckhandling and the general fatigue/wear down of a 60+ game season will catch up with him more than a lot of people are willing to admit. We need Luongo to continue playing a role on this team at least for another couple of season. We shouldn't hedge our bets just yet. We have both goaltenders signed, moving Luongo should not be a priority until Schneider's contract is due to end and he becomes a UFA.

There shouldn't be any rush to move Luongo (unless we are courting the very unlikely possibility of making room for Weber - and that is the ONLY situation where I think he should be moved right now and that to me is a 1 in a million).

2012-2013 Schneider 40; Luongo 42

2013-2014 Schneider 45; Luongo 37

2014-2015 Schneider 50; Luongo 32.

Then we can feel comfortable trading Luongo. It needs to be a slow process. Schneider may be our uncontested no. 1 come playoff time, but we need Luongo to take a huge chunk of the workload off of Schneider's shoulder. As I said those extra 20 or so games Schneider may end up playing (about the length of a playoff run) makes a HUGE difference down the stretch.

It will be an early Xmas present for me when he is sent out of town but I hope that he will be able to regain his form when he is playing in another city with less pressure from the fans. I wish him the best and hope to see Lou and Cory fighting top dog in the league not the team. Lou if your reading this I'll help you pack and drive you to the airport.

I have not taken him for granted. I feel that he should continue playing here even if it means splitting games with Schneider. He's the best goaltender we have ever had and it will be a travesty to lose him. I have a feeling that most Canuck fans that are flaming him are too young to remember back before we had him.

Schneider is great but he's only proven he can be brilliant in short stints. There is a huge difference between 35 and 65 games and down the stretch his brilliance will diminish as the season wears on him. Luongo may not be our clutch but he is our workhorse. He's always solid down the stretch even if he IS outplayed by Schneider. Schneider won't be able to keep it up over the long stretch. Splitting games is our best chance of winning a cup. I truly believe we won't win won without Luongo, even if Schneider might be the one to win it for us. It's an important distinction.

I have a feeling Schneider's terrible puckhandling and the general fatigue/wear down of a 60+ game season will catch up with him more than a lot of people are willing to admit. We need Luongo to continue playing a role on this team at least for another couple of season. We shouldn't hedge our bets just yet. We have both goaltenders signed, moving Luongo should not be a priority until Schneider's contract is due to end and he becomes a UFA.

There shouldn't be any rush to move Luongo (unless we are courting the very unlikely possibility of making room for Weber - and that is the ONLY situation where I think he should be moved right now and that to me is a 1 in a million).

Then we can feel comfortable trading Luongo. It needs to be a slow process. Schneider may be our uncontested no. 1 come playoff time, but we need Luongo to take a huge chunk of the workload off of Schneider's shoulder. As I said those extra 20 or so games Schneider may end up playing (about the length of a playoff run) makes a HUGE difference down the stretch.

he did give us a luxury we never expected and one that every team in the NHL coveted but he also gave us the disdain of letting in 12 goals in 2 games against the blackhawks, and also his rants saying he basically wanted to be a hired gun for a team like Detroit with his "winning now" attitude, HAH! i would've love to see him fail and will enjoy it when he goes back to Flo or to the laughs... I won't miss him, I might miss his glove but not him

With the only certainty about Luongo's future being that it won't be as a Canuck, it seems the Vancouver fan base has already shifted its feelings about their six year number one goaltender. A good portion of the fan base has been torching Luongo for the past few seasons... some of that does fall on his shoulders but definitely not all of it deserved.

After losing to the eventual Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings in the first round, and the emergence of Schneider as a shoe in for the number one position, it became clear that there was not room for two. Soon after the news came that Luongo had asked for a trade, and months later his first official interview on CFOX which cleared some misconceptions.

Slowly throughout the summer, it seems that much of the fan base that was anti-Luongo has shifted into sentiment, knowing that it was a certainty Bobby Lu would not be coming back. Frankly I'm surprised that it started happening this quickly, but I am definitely happy that it has. No matter which side of the fence you have been on throughout the years, nobody can question this man's work ethic and integrity. He has without a doubt put six solid years of work in for this organization; In a place where, frankly, goaltenders are not treated virtuously.

So Schnieder cant perform for a full season? Says who? You? Mr. Expert?

Wow you should be a GM in the NHL if you know so much

put a sock in it dude, go get a clean diaper and move on.

Wow, so tired of these whiny people not realizing that we have a superstar in Schnieder. When he hoists the cup in a nucks uni, I will bombard you with emails asking you if you still believe this garbage you are spewing.

You realize Schnieder has won and been a starter at every level right? He's played 60 plus in the AHL for numerous years right? Yes its not the NHL but clearly fitness and mental strength are not issues.

And how do you propose we find out. Play him 62 and lou 20? Wow, team first Lou won't go for that will he? "time to move on" lou can't handle that can he?

Then there is the cap issue and how much you're tying up in a backup...

None of your comments make any sense

Think deeper man.

I will always be a Luongo fan, no matter what team he goes to, it makes me feel sick to see people hate him and say that he sucks and what not. I will always back him up and I feel that we are making a HUGE mistake in trading him.

Wherever he goes, I hope he wins the stanley cup; he deserves it.

So Schnieder cant perform for a full season? Says who? You? Mr. Expert?

Wow you should be a GM in the NHL if you know so much

put a sock in it dude, go get a clean diaper and move on.

Wow, so tired of these whiny people not realizing that we have a superstar in Schnieder. When he hoists the cup in a nucks uni, I will bombard you with emails asking you if you still believe this garbage you are spewing.

You realize Schnieder has won and been a starter at every level right? He's played 60 plus in the AHL for numerous years right? Yes its not the NHL but clearly fitness and mental strength are not issues.

And how do you propose we find out. Play him 62 and lou 20? Wow, team first Lou won't go for that will he? "time to move on" lou can't handle that can he?

Then there is the cap issue and how much you're tying up in a backup...

None of your comments make any sense

Think deeper man.

Archived