The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fan base already getting sentimental over Luongo

six-0h-four-

Yes, judging by all the stuff you continuously put on these forums I am left with no choice but to declare you as hockey-retarted. I have rarely heard so many outrageously ignorant things come from one guy, and talk about mad, you've hung on to this subject like a thirsty tick does on a dog's arse. Not surprised you can't see what the hell you're typing.. You should see some of this! The branch douchebags called saying you missed attendance because you were paying too much attention to your screen.

Absolutely adore the guy. Probably my all time favourite Canuck.Kind of ironic how he got traded for Big Bert who was my childhood favourite but this guy has given me so many unforgettable memories.

I will always be heartbroken to see him in any uniform other than a Canucks one but I'll continue following his career and I hope he wins a cup. He's an absolutely phenomenal goalie and one of the best players to ever put on a Canucks jersey.

Will always be a Luongo fan.

Absolutely adore the guy. Probably my all time favourite Canuck.Kind of ironic how he got traded for Big Bert who was my childhood favourite but this guy has given me so many unforgettable memories.

I will always be heartbroken to see him in any uniform other than a Canucks one but I'll continue following his career and I hope he wins a cup. He's an absolutely phenomenal goalie and one of the best players to ever put on a Canucks jersey.

Will always be a Luongo fan.

Can't disagree with most of your ideas.

It was Gillis that has decided,not the coaching staff.

AV was clearly choked by the decision Gillis made.

People have argued that the team plays better with Schneids in net but I know from my playing days that having an excellent goaltender means that the players feel easier taking the odd chance here and there,knowing the tender is there to cover your butt.

Cory has just barely been off the protection list so his record is very inconclusive.

Let's hope he has what it takes as they are big skates to fill with Luo's departure.

Adieu, Bobby Lou

Superstar goalie's 'time to move on' interview evokes sadness, regret

By blowing up the notion he could come back to the Canucks, Roberto Luongo gave his Vancouver fans something they've needed this summer.

He gave them closure.

Since the end of the season, the Canucks have postured like they could retain both Luongo and Cory Schneider, reaching for leverage in the inevitable trade. But it's not going to happen, barring, of course, something unforeseen. And that would be a spectacular disaster.

Although many close observers have understood Luongo was leaving since Schneider started Game 4, he still made news Friday with his "move on" interview. It's easy to understand why. It felt final. And it came from him.

"At the end of the day, it's time to move on and I'm OK with that," Luongo said during an interview with CFOX 99.3 Friday, a contractual component of his sponsorship deal with B.C. Lottery Corp. Luongo is in Las Vegas playing in the World Series of Poker. And BCLC picked up his $10,000 entrance fee.

When pressed, Luongo sounded much like an athlete who had already mentally checked out on his time in Yaletown.

"I've had a great six years in Vancouver. I think it's a wonderful city. I really enjoyed my time there," Luongo said

"Unfortunately I was not able to bring a Stanley Cup there, which is probably my biggest regret."

Luongo will not only leave as the Canucks' greatest goalie in history, he will be one of the greatest athletes who have ever played in Vancouver.

He will remain one of the most polarizing, most discussed and most fascinating people to ever walk the seawall.

He'll also be one of the most misunderstood, a point driven home in recent months, since he took to Twitter, turning his @strombone1 account into a depository for his wit, charm, self-deprecation and humanity. He makes people laugh. He debates bloggers. He extinguishes trade rumours. He sends direct messages to adoring fans. He engages the lively inner circle of Canucks fans on Twitter, including the "shap crew."

It is, in a word, remarkable. Yet, at the same time, it's heartbreaking. You can't resist wondering how his frayed relationship with this city and its hockey fans would be different if that personality didn't take six years to bubble up to surface in a real, public and prolonged way. Yes, he had his moments. But they were too infrequent.

He obviously filtered himself for years, and probably with good reason if you go back and count all the times he had his teeth kicked when people believed he said the wrong thing, at the wrong moment.

Some of it is on him, some on the Canucks for not encouraging him, but mostly it's on those who tried to slap him down when he poked his head out that shell.

It's impossible to know if a looser, open, honest Luongo would have made a difference. Really, most of the damage to the relationship was done by the meltdowns in the playoffs, games for which he was crucified, sometimes fairly and sometimes just because he always seemed to be the "escape goat" for his teammates. But it just feels like we may have had one of the game's great characters and we missed out - all of us.

Maybe it will be different wherever he goes next. In Friday's interview from Vegas, Luongo confirmed that he'd go to Florida. He didn't rule out Toronto, admitting there is part of him that wants to play in a hockey market.

"Florida is definitely one of the spots I'd be willing to go to," Luongo said. "To be honest with you, I haven't had much communication with [GM Mike Gillis]. He keeps me updated once in a while. I'm sure when something is close to happening, I'll have to make a decision, but for right now to be honest with you I haven't really made any decisions whatsoever."

He sounded downright aroused when Chicago came up. "I like that song, it's catchy," Luongo quipped when asked about Chelsea Dagger. "I heard it seven times in one game."

Whether the Canucks would trade him there seems unlikely. But he didn't deny Chicago was on the list of teams he talked about with his agent Gilles Lupien, a list he has never been asked to give to the Canucks.

"There are a lot of cities that are great to play in and Chicago is definitely one of them," Luongo said. "But I think you've got to realize that it works both ways. There's not only me involved in this decision, there's also a question if the Blackhawks would be interested and if the team [Canucks] would be interested in trading me there and if I'd be willing to go there. It's more than just me that has to decide where I want to go."

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Canucks+Luongo+states+obvious+wants+Florida/6895759/story.html#ixzz205Z9VUaN

Schneider better have a good season...that's all I am saying. If not all these people demanding Luongo's head will be doing the same to Schneider. This is not speculation it's based on history. 40 Years of Canucks history...how many were memorable? Brodeur, McLean, Luongo. New era of goalie graveyard. Here we come!

Schneider better have a good season...that's all I am saying. If not all these people demanding Luongo's head will be doing the same to Schneider. This is not speculation it's based on history. 40 Years of Canucks history...how many were memorable? Brodeur, McLean, Luongo. New era of goalie graveyard. Here we come!

It will be an early Xmas present for me when he is sent out of town but I hope that he will be able to regain his form when he is playing in another city with less pressure from the fans. I wish him the best and hope to see Lou and Cory fighting top dog in the league not the team. Lou if your reading this I'll help you pack and drive you to the airport.

Well said - happy days are here again - no more swan dives and angel belly flops; no more goals from behind the net; no more excuses that he is historically a slow starter and we should forget about the first 20 games; no more easy saves made to look difficult (Scheider does the opposite); no more automatic losses in shoot outs; no more will we have the goaltender dictating how many games he plays; no more embarrassing dives feigning injury (this is not soccer!); no more five holes looking like the grand canyon; no more going down to stop rising shots.... from the Point; no more, no more, no more.....please, I beg, no more....

So Schnieder cant perform for a full season? Says who? You? Mr. Expert?

Wow you should be a GM in the NHL if you know so much

put a sock in it dude, go get a clean diaper and move on.

Wow, so tired of these whiny people not realizing that we have a superstar in Schnieder. When he hoists the cup in a nucks uni, I will bombard you with emails asking you if you still believe this garbage you are spewing.

You realize Schnieder has won and been a starter at every level right? He's played 60 plus in the AHL for numerous years right? Yes its not the NHL but clearly fitness and mental strength are not issues.

And how do you propose we find out. Play him 62 and lou 20? Wow, team first Lou won't go for that will he? "time to move on" lou can't handle that can he?

Then there is the cap issue and how much you're tying up in a backup...

None of your comments make any sense

Think deeper man.

Whatever Lu's mental focus issues, he's still pretty much one of the best goaltender's we've ever had. I wish we could find out where the root of the problem is. Is it he's too competitive that when lets in a softie, he over compensates and gets worse? Does he put too much pressure on himself?

His stats speak for themselves. If he'd been mentally tougher in the Boston series and we won we'd probably never want him to leave. It will be a sad day when he goes. But hopefully with Schneider-man we'll be able to win those 16 games in the playoffs. Not 15.

Have you ever heard of Andrew Raycroft?

The man was in a similar situation as Schneider. He won awards in the CHL and then shifted between the NHL and AHL for the next 2 seasons and he did reasonably well.

He then jumped into the NHL (year before the lockout) and carried the Bruins to second place in the Eastern Conference. That season, he had great numbers and won the Calder Trophy. (57 games played, 29-18-8 record with a GAA of 2.05 and sv% of .926)

At this point in his career he had 78 NHL games under his belt and was projected by many to be a superstar goaltender for years to come, much like Schneider.

So what happened to him? After the lockout, he struggled and after 30 games he was sent down to the AHL and eventually traded to Toronto where he had one decent season (37 wins, but only .894 sv%) and everything spiralled downhill after that.

I think it would be a bad idea of if MG decides to find out whether Schneider is a superstar or not by trading Luongo who is a proven, elite goaltender in the NHL. It would probably be smarter to keep them both (unless a team heavily overpays for one of our goalies) until November/December to see if Schneider can handle the workload before making the trade.

This way, we will have cap space (Kesler is on LTIR) for both goalies and Schneider will be given a chance to start as the no. 1

media and uneducated fans chase the best goalie in franchise history of out town. thats the head line.

the team made a commitment to him and he to the team. Cory's still unproven as a starter and the pressure from the media insanity.

personally i think cory should have been packaged up and sent out. and chi get louie he can rub it in next spring when he lifts the cup that team would be hard to beat with a great goalie like louie in net.

Trading a proven starting NHL goalie and someone who guarantees the Canucks 30 wins a season is just a bonehead move by MG. Cory Schneider is still a nobody, and will be a nobody compared to Luongo until he strings consecutive 30 or 40 win seasons together AND shows up big in the important playoff games.

On one hand we have a guy who's been through it all and who is putting all his experiences together and past failures to win a Cup. On the otherhand we have a guy with 56 career games and just 1 playoff win under his belt.

Sure, in the regular season Schneider may post better numbers because he only played the occasional spot games so never had to worry about fatigue, but in the playoffs Luongo gives us a far better chance to win.

Remember, Quick took 3 or 4 dreadful playoff seasons before he finally put it all together to carry the Kings to the Cup. Rinne the same, and he's not even there yet. These guys were also young like Schneider and were depended upon by their teams. On the flipside, Boston kept faith in Tim Thomas - a guy who's career was suposedly dead, before he repayed the favour and almost single-handedly won Boston a Cup.

Trading Luongo is a stupid decision for so many reasons, and keeping him could very easily be the smartest thing the Canucks ever do.

I've never been a Luongo hater. I've heard alot of crap from canucks fans bashing on Luongo i've felt i've never had to defend him because his play usually comes through. He is still a great goalie, hope he has a great season where ever he ends up next year.

Let's just hope this Bi-polar fan base can ease up on schnieder when he lets in some floaters. Not to mention when he wanders out of his net.

I've never been a Luongo hater. I've heard alot of crap from canucks fans bashing on Luongo i've felt i've never had to defend him because his play usually comes through. He is still a great goalie, hope he has a great season where ever he ends up next year.

Let's just hope this Bi-polar fan base can ease up on schnieder when he lets in some floaters. Not to mention when he wanders out of his net.

Archived