The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fan base already getting sentimental over Luongo

six-0h-four-

So Schnieder cant perform for a full season? Says who? You? Mr. Expert?

Wow you should be a GM in the NHL if you know so much

put a sock in it dude, go get a clean diaper and move on.

Wow, so tired of these whiny people not realizing that we have a superstar in Schnieder. When he hoists the cup in a nucks uni, I will bombard you with emails asking you if you still believe this garbage you are spewing.

You realize Schneider has won and been a starter at every level right? He's played 60 plus in the AHL for numerous years right? Yes its not the NHL but clearly fitness and mental strength are not issues.

And how do you propose we find out. Play him 62 and lou 20? Wow, team first Lou won't go for that will he? "time to move on" lou can't handle that can he?

Then there is the cap issue and how much you're tying up in a backup...

None of your comments make any sense

Think deeper man.

"and the emergence of Schneider as a shoe in for the number one position" and "Soon after the news came that Luongo had asked for a trade" OP

Really? I call bull on both counts due to the record.

If anything,Luo played every bit as good as Cory did throughout the season,especially in the early going before the team decided to float from February into early April.

Down the stretch both played well,but Luo carried the load.

I think the wrong decision has been made to jettison Luo and I will be happy to say Cory is a 'superstar' but come on,this kid has one losing playoff round to his credit.

Luo should have been traded after he recovered from consecutive groin injuries.He struggled for years to get his game back.

Gillis is two years behind on this one.I would keep Luo and trade the kid with no NHL starter's record,myself.

I love the guy, he's a great person and a great player.

It will be said to see him go, I'll really miss the years of outstanding play and all the memories he brought us but I am happy for him, hopefully he goes to Florida and finishes his career nicely.

It's time to move on for both sides but I'm still a big fan.

I for one have always liked Lui, he's a good guy, a fierce competitor and I believe the best goalie to ever wear a Canucks sweater. For years now I have dreamed of seeing his #1 hanging from the rafters of Rogers arena and am now feeling pretty sad realizing that day will most likely never come now.

I fearfully await the day(and it won't be long) when fans start criticizing Schneids the way they do Lui. Because it is inevitable that #35 will have struggles and when he does he'll be getting roasted just like Lui has for years. sad to see him on his way out, the guy is a total class act even in this present situation, not to mention he's got a great sense of humour!

To say outright that Schneider will not be able to keep it up over the long hall is without basis or forthought. Schneider is technically better, and thus more efficient in moving around the crease. I agree his puck handling is a weakness but not a huge deal. All in all, Schneider has shown his superiority and is an easier goalie to play in front of.

Unless you have facts to base Schneiders inability to play long into the season, Id keep such baseless summations to yourself.

I have not taken him for granted. I feel that he should continue playing here even if it means splitting games with Schneider. He's the best goaltender we have ever had and it will be a travesty to lose him. I have a feeling that most Canuck fans that are flaming him are too young to remember back before we had him.

Schneider is great but he's only proven he can be brilliant in short stints. There is a huge difference between 35 and 65 games and down the stretch his brilliance will diminish as the season wears on him. Luongo may not be our clutch but he is our workhorse. He's always solid down the stretch even if he IS outplayed by Schneider. Schneider won't be able to keep it up over the long stretch. Splitting games is our best chance of winning a cup. I truly believe we won't win won without Luongo, even if Schneider might be the one to win it for us. It's an important distinction.

I have a feeling Schneider's terrible puckhandling and the general fatigue/wear down of a 60+ game season will catch up with him more than a lot of people are willing to admit. We need Luongo to continue playing a role on this team at least for another couple of season. We shouldn't hedge our bets just yet. We have both goaltenders signed, moving Luongo should not be a priority until Schneider's contract is due to end and he becomes a UFA.

There shouldn't be any rush to move Luongo (unless we are courting the very unlikely possibility of making room for Weber - and that is the ONLY situation where I think he should be moved right now and that to me is a 1 in a million).

2012-2013 Schneider 40; Luongo 42

2013-2014 Schneider 45; Luongo 37

2014-2015 Schneider 50; Luongo 32.

Then we can feel comfortable trading Luongo. It needs to be a slow process. Schneider may be our uncontested no. 1 come playoff time, but we need Luongo to take a huge chunk of the workload off of Schneider's shoulder. As I said those extra 20 or so games Schneider may end up playing (about the length of a playoff run) makes a HUGE difference down the stretch.

media and uneducated fans chase the best goalie in franchise history of out town. thats the head line.

the team made a commitment to him and he to the team. Cory's still unproven as a starter and the pressure from the media insanity.

personally i think cory should have been packaged up and sent out. and chi get louie he can rub it in next spring when he lifts the cup that team would be hard to beat with a great goalie like louie in net.

So Schnieder cant perform for a full season? Says who? You? Mr. Expert?

Wow you should be a GM in the NHL if you know so much

put a sock in it dude, go get a clean diaper and move on.

Wow, so tired of these whiny people not realizing that we have a superstar in Schnieder. When he hoists the cup in a nucks uni, I will bombard you with emails asking you if you still believe this garbage you are spewing.

You realize Schnieder has won and been a starter at every level right? He's played 60 plus in the AHL for numerous years right? Yes its not the NHL but clearly fitness and mental strength are not issues.

And how do you propose we find out. Play him 62 and lou 20? Wow, team first Lou won't go for that will he? "time to move on" lou can't handle that can he?

Then there is the cap issue and how much you're tying up in a backup...

None of your comments make any sense

Think deeper man.

Truth be told, I stopped reading at "certainty". That's far from a certainty at this point. It could still be Schneider getting moved. I don't care if Luongo says he does want to move on, if the team trades Cory, he'll get used to the idea of staying really quickly. The fact that Cory signed means little beyond the fact that Gillis didn't want to be vulnerable to offer sheets. Gillis knows that the team can still be very strong with Roberto (one of the league's best goalies) between the pipes plus whatever good haul he could land for Cory, and that option is still on the table.

I will always be a Luongo fan, no matter what team he goes to, it makes me feel sick to see people hate him and say that he sucks and what not. I will always back him up and I feel that we are making a HUGE mistake in trading him.

Wherever he goes, I hope he wins the stanley cup; he deserves it.

I'll miss Luongo. He's a great goalie.

That being said, we had 6 seasons with him in net, and arguably the best Canucks team we've ever dressed in from of him, and we still couldn't bring home a cup.

Change is needed, and Schneider is the guy to do it with.

I have always appreciated Luongo as the starting goalie for the Canucks. I am old enough to remember when Richard Brodeur was the starter and the mediocre goaltending this team has suffered through at times in their history. I have never gone on an anti-Luongo rant when he loses since it's always been a team effort when the losses happened. I was equally disappointed, at times, in pretty much every member of the team when those playoff disappointments took place. I actually remember when the Canucks knocked out the Preds in 2011 telling people that Kesler and Luongo dragged us into the Conference Final against the Sharks. Lou then outdueled Niemi to get to the Final, a goalie who hadn't lost a series before then.

That being said, I believe Cory Schneider is the real deal. The last Canucks back up I had that feeling about was Glen Hanlon. The Canucks kept Brodeur and Hanlon went on to a pretty good career, outplaying Brodeur along the way. Cory has waited patiently for a long time now, watching other young goalies get the chance to be the starter while he toiled in the AHL waiting for his chance. I hate losing Luongo and I hate how it's going down, but it is the right move for the team at this point.

Getting younger means the team can remain a contender for a longer period. I wish Lou the best wherever he goes, even if that turns out to be Chicago. I'll try to keep the swearing to a minimum when they win if he is their goalie. I really hate Toews though, so that makes it tough. I can at least cheer for the guy since I always have, even from when he was with the Panthers.

Great teams make tough calls like this. If Cory turns out to be as good as I believe he is, the Vezina trophies and Lord Stanley's trophy will ease the pain of anyone who misses Lou.

I am sad that the Luongo era has come to an end but this is the nature of the sport and the right time for it to happen.

Everyone saying " we are gonna regret giving up Luongo" I think are wrong cus at his age and length and cost of contract I think it just makes sense for this franchise to cut ties and let a younger, cheaper, and more technically sound goalie in schneider take over.

For everyone saying "Cory has only played 35 games in a season, wait till he plays 65 and wears down" I think are wrong cus Schneider has proven at the AHL level that he doesnt wear down after 60 plus games. In fact he was the best goalie in the league his first full season and took his team to the Calder cup finals and from what I've seen from his play at the NHL level it looks like he could do the same for us.

Now all that being said, anyone on this board that says "Luongo sucks" or "Luongo lost us the cup" are just not very intelligent hockey fans and don't appreciate what Luongo has done for this franchise. Luongo came in and changed the face of this franchise from a team that had great talent and no goaltending to a team that had one of the best goalies in the game. Luongo carried us the first couple of seasons transitioning from the Naslund era to the Sedins era and he pretty much single handedly knocked Dallas out in the first round of his first season here and got us out of our 2 round failures finally and into the cup finals a couple years later. Luongo leads our team in almost every major goalie category and is without doubt the best goalie this franchise has ever seen so far.

Now the obvious knock against Luongo is his mental toughness or his big game melt downs. The thing about Luonngo is he has a really bad tendency to let in bad goals at the wrong time. Now he doesn't always do this in big games because we have all seen him play lights out in big games but the fact remains that he does do it in big games, some really big games, and unfortunately the fan base (including me) sees this and they build resentment and animosity towards the guy for letting us down because we all know how well Luongo can play when he is on his game.

Luongo's time here is undoubtedly over but please fellow fans lets not send this guy (our franchise's best goalie) off with anger, hate, and resentment. Lets send him off how he should be, with remorse that he just fell short of winning a cup here but with great thanks and apprectiation for everything He has accomplished for this franchise and those incredible saves we were all in awe of (you all know there is one in your mind you can think of where you say "how the hell did he stop that!").

Archived