The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fan base already getting sentimental over Luongo

six-0h-four-

You don't know what you got 'till it's gone.

Once Lu left, trust me - throughout the season more than once we'll find ourselves thinking, 'Gee, I wish we still had Luongo.'.

If Luongo ends up being back in Florida there's an eastern conf. team I'll cheer for.

That's a pretty strong statement directed towards a guy who is just a good person in general with all his charity work and has personally done nothing to you. Granted he is obligated by the team to do that work, but I think it would be safe to say that you don't get off your fat ass and help someone.

No need for getting sentimental, Schneiders skill is increasing, while Luongos is decreasing.... it could have to do with their age, or it could have to do with their work ethic. Either way, its nothing to get sentimental over.

I feel the reason people trash talk Luongo is because when he lets weak goals in, it seems like hes not even trying. He looks like he gives up on the play before the puck goes in the net... as he lays on his belly. I think he has the skill, but to be honest he deserves all the trash talk if he gives up on the play before the whistle is blown... which he has done a lot of in the last few years. Sometimes he shows he makes a lot of effort to stop shots that would be easy goals, but he hasn't been consistent with it lately.

I get why people defend him, and get mad when people trash talk him... but its hard to not get mad when he doesn't even look like hes trying sometimes. Then to see his face threw his mask, making an expression as if hes gasping for air or as if he just made a huge effort to stop the puck even though he barely moved. Its as if hes trying to fool everyone. It gets frustrating because we have seen before how he can make a real effort at stopping everything.

I like Luongo, I liked him even back when he was on Florida. I'm just pointing out why I think people got frustrated with him in the first place. Its not just the weak goals, its the lack of effort on some goals. His personality seems like it took a huge turn around since all of this trade talk has been going on also. He used to always have a depressed or upset look on his face when the media asked him questions, but now its like hes trying to make everyone feel sorry for him with the way he talks about how hes okay with leaving, and how he'll do whats best for the team. Why didn't he have this attitude towards the media before?

I have not taken him for granted. I feel that he should continue playing here even if it means splitting games with Schneider. He's the best goaltender we have ever had and it will be a travesty to lose him. I have a feeling that most Canuck fans that are flaming him are too young to remember back before we had him.

Schneider is great but he's only proven he can be brilliant in short stints. There is a huge difference between 35 and 65 games and down the stretch his brilliance will diminish as the season wears on him. Luongo may not be our clutch but he is our workhorse. He's always solid down the stretch even if he IS outplayed by Schneider. Schneider won't be able to keep it up over the long stretch. Splitting games is our best chance of winning a cup. I truly believe we won't win won without Luongo, even if Schneider might be the one to win it for us. It's an important distinction.

I have a feeling Schneider's terrible puckhandling and the general fatigue/wear down of a 60+ game season will catch up with him more than a lot of people are willing to admit. We need Luongo to continue playing a role on this team at least for another couple of season. We shouldn't hedge our bets just yet. We have both goaltenders signed, moving Luongo should not be a priority until Schneider's contract is due to end and he becomes a UFA.

There shouldn't be any rush to move Luongo (unless we are courting the very unlikely possibility of making room for Weber - and that is the ONLY situation where I think he should be moved right now and that to me is a 1 in a million).

2012-2013 Schneider 40; Luongo 42

2013-2014 Schneider 45; Luongo 37

2014-2015 Schneider 50; Luongo 32.

Then we can feel comfortable trading Luongo. It needs to be a slow process. Schneider may be our uncontested no. 1 come playoff time, but we need Luongo to take a huge chunk of the workload off of Schneider's shoulder. As I said those extra 20 or so games Schneider may end up playing (about the length of a playoff run) makes a HUGE difference down the stretch.

I am getting pretty tired of people saying that Schnieder cant handle the workload. There is more proof that he can actually handle than that he cant. He is young, has shown to get consistently better when given more games, and has generally been outstanding after sitting for long stretches.

On top of that in 2008/2009 he played 70 total games - posting a 44 - 21 - 0 record and in the range of a .920 save %.

In 2009/2010 he played 66 games.and again posted very good numbers. So this whole Cory cant handle the workload that Luongo has is completely incorrect.

Luongo wants out. He spoke the words himself. He will be moved. Get used to the idea

There's no need to tee off on rbcanucks87. And your facts on Schneider having won at every level is far from true.

The only thing Schneider's actually won in his career to date are two Hockey East Championships (which is like coming first in the NW Division, so let's give Schneider props for being on all of the NW Division "championship" teams he's been on with the Canucks and let's give him props for being the capable back up on two President Trophies), and a gold at the Under-18 in 2003. It should not be overlooked that he's been to the NCAA finals twice with BC, but they lost both times.

As well, the "numerous" seasons of 60+ games is the grand total of 1 year in 2009-2010. Last time I checked, 1 is not defined as numerous.

I agree 100% that this is now Schneider's time and that it's time for all to close the book on Luongo...Schneider has earned the privilege of being the starter by patiently developing his game behind Luongo, but before we build a statue of Schneider next to Roger Neilson, let's give him the chance to prove what many of us have been saying about him...even Luongo's predicted a couple of Vezinas for Schneider.

Before you suggest that rbcanucks87 "think deeper", you need to ramp up your knowledge...opinions are a lot like a$$h0le5...everyone's got one. You shouldn't try to express your opinions as fact-based knowledge, because frankly, you having done so makes you look like an absolute fool. Good luck with your future posts...I'm sure there's an intelligent person buried somewhere underneath layers of emotion.

EDIT: my mistake...Schneider played 60+ games, including playoffs in 2008-2009 and 2009-2010...sorry for the brain fart.

I didn't realize Schneider is the most winning goaltender in franchise history. He is NOT a proven starter yet, he's just being given the opportunity now. Yes, he is poised and calm, while in his crease. Puck-handling skills are WORSE than Luongo, which is saying a whole helluva lot. I believe in Schneider, don't get me wrong, There is still a lot of uncertainty as to whether he CAN perform adequately for a full season.

What's wrong with a goaltending duo? Not too much. We don't need to go over salaries, either, as the cap-hit is reasonable for the calibre of tenders that the Canucks currently have.

Yes, I will be sad to see Luongo go. I also look forward to what Schneider can do. Season can't start soon enough

I've criticised Luongo's play quite a bit and my feelings haven't changed. I like him as a person and I can appreciate the level of commitment and the work ethic that he brought to the team (well above most of the other players I think). But it has been crystal clear for quite a while now that Schneider is the right choice. The only disappointment I have is that MG and company allowed the situation to stagnate for 2 years and turn into what it has become.

I'll say for the record that I'm not pro-Lu or anti-Lu. His first few years in Vancouver were brilliant; The Canucks finally had a great goaltender.

Look at the revolving door that was the Canucks' number one goalie position:

Dan Cloutier, Alex Auld, Felix Potvin, Kevin Weekes, Corey Schwab, and Garth Snow all had cracks as the numero uno in the six years previous to Luongo coming to Vancouver. Luongo has been number one for six years. It seems to me that people that come on here and say things like "I hate him" are just ignorant kids that are just too young to even know how dire the situation was.

Has Schneider proven himself at the NHL level? No.

Will he prove himself at the NHL level? Very likely.

Did Luongo help to weave the fabric of what the Canucks are today? Definitely.

Is keeping #35 instead of #1 the right choice? Probably.

This is a business, and hard decisions have to be made, right or wrong.

I'll say for the record that I'm not pro-Lu or anti-Lu. His first few years in Vancouver were brilliant; The Canucks finally had a great goaltender.

Look at the revolving door that was the Canucks' number one goalie position:

Dan Cloutier, Alex Auld, Felix Potvin, Kevin Weekes, Corey Schwab, and Garth Snow all had cracks as the numero uno in the six years previous to Luongo coming to Vancouver. Luongo has been number one for six years. It seems to me that people that come on here and say things like "I hate him" are just ignorant kids that are just too young to even know how dire the situation was.

Has Schneider proven himself at the NHL level? No.

Will he prove himself at the NHL level? Very likely.

Did Luongo help to weave the fabric of what the Canucks are today? Definitely.

Is keeping #35 instead of #1 the right choice? Probably.

This is a business, and hard decisions have to be made, right or wrong.

If my hatred for Luongo effects you people that much then maybe you should get a life outside of CDC.

The Branch Luongians see their religion crumbling to the ground, they are now scrambling to find ways to argue Luongo is still the better Goaltender.

But guess what? Even your god gave up!

And you people honestly think the fan base ran him out of town?

Haha if he is that metally week then let him go

But honestly, we didn't run him out of town.

Schneider did

P.S. I still hate him

There's no need to tee off on rbcanucks87. And your facts on Schneider having won at every level is far from true.

The only thing Schneider's actually won in his career to date are two Hockey East Championships (which is like coming first in the NW Division, so let's give Schneider props for being on all of the NW Division "championship" teams he's been on with the Canucks and let's give him props for being the capable back up on two President Trophies), and a gold at the Under-18 in 2003. It should not be overlooked that he's been to the NCAA finals twice with BC, but they lost both times.

As well, the "numerous" seasons of 60+ games is the grand total of 1 year in 2009-2010. Last time I checked, 1 is not defined as numerous.

I agree 100% that this is now Schneider's time and that it's time for all to close the book on Luongo...Schneider has earned the privilege of being the starter by patiently developing his game behind Luongo, but before we build a statue of Schneider next to Roger Neilson, let's give him the chance to prove what many of us have been saying about him...even Luongo's predicted a couple of Vezinas for Schneider.

Before you suggest that rbcanucks87 "think deeper", you need to ramp up your knowledge...opinions are a lot like a$$h0le5...everyone's got one. You shouldn't try to express your opinions as fact-based knowledge, because frankly, you having done so makes you look like an absolute fool. Good luck with your future posts...I'm sure there's an intelligent person buried somewhere underneath layers of emotion.

EDIT: my mistake...Schneider played 60+ games, including playoffs in 2008-2009 and 2009-2010...sorry for the brain fart.

Archived