Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Boring Sports

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

Poll: What sports do find boring to watch? (175 member(s) have cast votes)

What sports do find boring to watch?

1. Baseball (105 votes [10.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.29%

2. American Football (40 votes [3.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.92%

3. Soccer (39 votes [3.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.82%

4. Basketball (57 votes [5.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.59%

5. Racing (92 votes [9.02%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.02%

6. Tennis (44 votes [4.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.31%

7. Golf (107 votes [10.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.49%

8. Boxing (44 votes [4.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.31%

9. Wrestling (62 votes [6.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.08%

10. Curling (84 votes [8.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.24%

11. Rugby (38 votes [3.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.73%

12. Cycling (96 votes [9.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.41%

13. Watersports (Diving, Swimming, Water-Polo...) (61 votes [5.98%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.98%

14. Track & Field sports (53 votes [5.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.20%

15. Dance, Syncronised swimming, Artistic Skating... (98 votes [9.61%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.61%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

I think this has a lot to do with simply what sports teams are in your city. A lot of Americans think hockey is boring, but the ones that do have no emotional investment in a team.

For me it is basketball, specifically the NBA. Everything is so manufactured. Intentional fouls, giving half court if you call a time-out in final two minutes. Not to mention there is more commercials in the final 2 minutes of a game, than the rest of the game combined(not counting halftime).

I would say racing, but that is not a sport. If driving something was a sport there would be a ton of taxi and bus drivers in London right now who would be medal hopefuls.

Do you seriously believe driving a bus or taxi is even remotely similar to driving a race car?? The amount of concentration and focus that is required to pilot a race car is something 99% of us cannot come close to. Plus there is an enormous physical toll on the body when your are muscling that steering wheel against both positive and negative G forces constantly being applied on the body. Just one lap in a high powered race car would definitely have you singing a different tune.
Posted Image

#62 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,533 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:07 PM

Do you seriously believe driving a bus or taxi is even remotely similar to driving a race car?? The amount of concentration and focus that is required to pilot a race car is something 99% of us cannot come close to. Plus there is an enormous physical toll on the body when your are muscling that steering wheel against both positive and negative G forces constantly being applied on the body. Just one lap in a high powered race car would definitely have you singing a different tune.

You beat me to it, comparing driving a taxi to driving a race car is like comparing flying a Cessna to flying an F35.

http://www.usatoday....-race-car_x.htm
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#63 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:11 PM

I dont think i've ever watched a baseball game from start to end lol. It's a fun game to play, but watching it is like watching paint dry. honestly.. even the highlights are boring, it's either a strike, a home run or a diving catch. I hate how the players take their sweet time every pitch or at bat. Adjusting their gloves, looking at some random things in the field or chewing tabacco.

#64 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:32 PM

lol i was making a joke, and I don't think driving a taxi is the same F1, but driving something has been proven not to be athletic. Sitting in a sauna is extremely taxing on your body too, but does not make it a sport. IOC does not classify driving as a sport. Yes it is impressive, but no not a sport.

Yes I was in a race car when I was in Vegas, insanely impressive, but not athletic in anyway

#65 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:05 PM

lol i was making a joke, and I don't think driving a taxi is the same F1, but driving something has been proven not to be athletic. Sitting in a sauna is extremely taxing on your body too, but does not make it a sport. IOC does not classify driving as a sport. Yes it is impressive, but no not a sport.

Yes I was in a race car when I was in Vegas, insanely impressive, but not athletic in anyway

That's just where we are going to have to disagree. I would argue that high level auto racing is more taxing on the body, both mentally and physically, than most sports.
Posted Image

#66 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,769 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:42 PM

That's just where we are going to have to disagree. I would argue that high level auto racing is more taxing on the body, both mentally and physically, than most sports.

Explain how it's more taxing on the body than most sports?
Posted Image

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#67 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

I'd consider a race car driver much more of an atlete than, say, a golfer or an offensive lineman or any baseball player. But I guess it depends on your own personal definition of a sport. I think focus, endurance, stamina, as well as physical toll all play a big roll in what's considered a sport....all well represented by auto racing. Just my opinion, though.
Posted Image

#68 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,533 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:20 PM

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/2003-02-27-ten-hardest-race-car_x.htm

http://www.f1technic...t/articles/1125

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/4243400
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#69 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:52 PM

http://www.f1technical.net/articles/1125

Great article!
Posted Image

#70 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,533 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:41 AM

Unless you actually ran a full race with 20-40 other cars on the race track you still have no real knowledge of it.

Edited by Norman Clegg, 20 July 2012 - 09:23 AM.

Blaise Pascal

#71 Ovech Trick

Ovech Trick

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:47 AM

American football, they play for about 7 seconds then stop for 2 minuetes and replay the 7 seconds for another minuete and half or so. Repeat for 3 hours.
Posted Image

Capitalist Hockey League - Minnesota Wild GM

#72 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:15 PM

Unless you actually ran a full race with 20-40 other cars on the race you still have no real knowledge of it.

And that's just the thing. Most of us wouldn't even be able to finish a race, let alone podium. Takes a talented, skilled, athletic person to do so.

A little knowledge goes a long way. ;)
Posted Image

#73 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,533 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

And that's just the thing. Most of us wouldn't even be able to finish a race, let alone podium. Takes a talented, skilled, athletic person to do so.

A little knowledge goes a long way. ;)

Most wouldn't have the guts to get into one, of those that do, most wouldn't even finish a 10 lap street stock heat let alone qualify for a NASCAR or F1 race.
Blaise Pascal

#74 1970 and beyond

1970 and beyond

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:48 PM

you forgot cricket........zzzzzzz

Cricket is awesome. Maybe some day I might actually understand the game.

Been a fan from day one. Some of those days were good and some were bad.

#75 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:03 PM

Soccer is just brutal, should not be aired in Canada as no one likes it. From the time I was 7 everyone beaked soccer players. Another boring sport is baseball, though Americans love it....

#76 CaNuCkSLoUiE23

CaNuCkSLoUiE23

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,394 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:59 PM

Baseball hands down. It takes like 2 minutes for the pitcher to throw ONE pitch.

#77 CaNuCkSLoUiE23

CaNuCkSLoUiE23

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,394 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

Soccer is just brutal, should not be aired in Canada as no one likes it. From the time I was 7 everyone beaked soccer players. Another boring sport is baseball, though Americans love it....

Some people in Canada love soccer. That's why the sport is growing. Canadian teams from minor leagues are making the MLS because more and more people are watching it. That's why BC place is almost always packed when the Whitecaps play.

#78 Not A Fruit

Not A Fruit

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:31 PM

Golf...I LOVE watching tennis, especially Fed :P
Posted Image
Special Thanks to Twilight Sparkle ^

#79 ckamo

ckamo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:36 PM

Some people in Canada love soccer. That's why the sport is growing. Canadian teams from minor leagues are making the MLS because more and more people are watching it. That's why BC place is almost always packed when the Whitecaps play.

It's also the sport with the highest participation rate. Like it or not, it's the world's most popular sport for a reason. I personally find it MUCH easier to watch any sport at all when I have someone to cheer for.

My only real exception to that is baseball/softball. I can tolerate it but I couldn't imagine watching a whole season of it. Even in school when I played on the softball team it took a lot for me to stay entertained. The only time I really took any enjoyment out of it was when I got to play as catcher.

#80 No5Butcher

No5Butcher

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:29 PM

I think the auto racing option needs to be split into a couple different categories. I find watching Nascar or drag racing incredibly boring and F1 as sort of middling entertainment. On the other hand, I could watch rally racing any day of the week.

#81 Tony Romo

Tony Romo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

Horse racing
Posted Image Posted Image

Thanks to Raoul Duke for the Russell Wilson sig.

#82 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,639 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:46 PM

u forgot ping-pong <_<

Golf makes ping-pong seem like an extreme sport

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#83 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:15 AM

ping pong is far more erotic than watching golf
Posted Image

#84 Donky

Donky

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,682 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

I played cricket and know it well. It has a few different incarnations based on the length of each teams innings. The 20/20 version has made it much more appealing to the time constraints of TV and can be played in a few hours. Terrific sport and on television is probably better to watch than baseball. It's terrific that it is now being shown here in Canada.

As for baseball, seeing it live at the stadium is far better than watching it on TV. No comparison really.

The most boring sport has to be curling. I'm sure those who play it would disagree.
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”-Sinclair Lewis

A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."-Albert Einstein

#85 TheWestCoastConnection

TheWestCoastConnection

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:31 PM

Racing has to be the most boring, just constant left turns, the crashes are cool though.
Posted Image

#86 Mad Cow Disease

Mad Cow Disease

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:29 PM

I really get the feeling people who say soccer have watched it maybe once or twice on their lives and didn't watch a good top-flight match.

#87 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:55 AM

Easiest poll ever. Soccer by a country mile.

Rather watch soccer than baseball.

Also... no saying it's worse than soccer but some aspects of American football are kinda dumb. If you were explaining to someone (who has never watched football) how often the play is whistled down and everyone get back into position, they'd be like :bored: .
Can you imagine if there was a faceoff every time the puck was turned over in hockey? :rolleyes:
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#88 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:58 AM

I really get the feeling people who say soccer have watched it maybe once or twice on their lives and didn't watch a good top-flight match.

Yeah. Never watched it before and thought how other people do about soccer. Was pressured into watch the Portugal-Netherlands game during Euro 2012 and it was like watching an NHL playoff game. Very exciting. It didn't instantly make me a fan but it sparked my interest enough that I began playing FIFA 12, which has sparked my interest, as I've gotten to know players , team, etc
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#89 SISU

SISU

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:51 PM

Previously I would've had soccer on my top-10 most boring sports to watch but today's CAN vs USA game was intense. I will probably start watching a few more Whitecaps games and whatever other soccer games team Canada is playing. Like other posters, I need to have an emotional investment in a team in order to enjoy watching the game. I love Canucks hockey but can't get too interested in a Bluejackets vs Islanders game.

#90 White Goodman

White Goodman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:59 AM

I don't know about NASCAR, but i know in Australia, our main racing competition is done over summer in 50ºC heat, take in the fact that they are wearing racing suits and helmets, they get really hot. They have to be mentally tough and have really good endurance.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.