The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Van-Min

Ummm, Schroeder is looking like a bust. A major bust. Think Patrick White kind of bust.

He's had years to show something - anything - in the AHL, yet hasn't shown much of anything at all. He literally needs to score almost twice as much before he has a shot at the big leagues...

His trade value is near zero.

:picard: Yeah.. 21 goals and 44 points for an undersized 20/21 year old playing the pro game is really nothing and He was 3rd in scoring on the Wolves this year.

I really don't know where your getting this asumption from? there's no logic behind this at all. He's a good player, people come at it there own pace, and if you expected him to be NHL ready at this stage when we drafted him you have alot to learn about prospects.

And he's done better than Cody did in the AHL.

For the reasons I said in my other post (in the other thread, the one that I copied from the Schroeder thread).

As I said just now to BloodyNuckes up here, he wasn't expected to be ready at this stage and I'm not surprised at all that he hasn't played in the NHL, just because some people take longer than other's doesn't mean that they still wont be good players.

And I'm not that worried about his size because of his strength, he's a very strong player.

In a way this is just another example of Canuck fans pushing the panic button too early.

well in my opinion Zack Phillips would be a great fit in van and i think MG is realizing some of his mistakes in the draft trading Hodgson for Kassian and i could for sure see him trading Schroeder for Phillips it just makes sense for the team Phillips is just more of a complete player and was one of the reasons that huberdeau has been successful of course i do realize that Huberdeau played a big reason for Phillips success but i can really see Phillips and Kassian having great chemistry

I would still take Schreoder.

Your right Phillips is a more complete player but we already have a player like that. Brendan Gaunce. We have been getting bigger everywhere, but it takes more than just big players to win.

You need skill players like Schroeder, and I still think he could be a very impactful player. I think he's a game breaking offensive player, he won't put up 40-50 goals but I could see 25-30, and as I said I think he is a game breaking player, and a dangerous player. Someone who can bury whenever he gets the oppertunity.

For right now I would keep Schroder and see what he can do.

We wouldn't put Phillips in the NHL either, it doesn't make any sense to put him on the 4th line just so he is in the NHL, I would much rather have him getting top 6 minutes in the AHL.

and Schroeder will get a shot either way (not to mention he's more NHL ready than Phillips). He will take Kesler's spot, and if he plays well he will stay, if he doesn't he will be sent down.

Gillis always says that anyone has a chance to make the team and that he would put 1-way contracts in the minors and that's no different here.

which would mean Phillips would have a chance at making the team too and who knows he could be beast next year. he could very well be NHL ready he could even be more NHL ready then Schroeder although to get phillips we would probably have to give a solid deefensive prospect instead of schroeder as Min has 16 nhl fowards already

Huberdeau has been playing against "just boys" too but he will still be in the NHL and he is NHL ready... just because you play in the QMJ doesn't mean you are not NHL ready just means the team wants another year of development... i wouldn't be surprised if phillips gets traded and plays a 3rd or 4th line role on his new team next year.. minny just doesn't need foward prospects as they have so many fowards

Pretty sure Schroeder will be treated the same way Hodgson was last season. They'll put him in the best position to succeed, and then sell high on him to fill other needs. One of the reasons Cody got traded was due to being stuck behind Henrik and Kesler. They're not going anywhere, so I don't really see any way Schroeder fits here longterm.

• 2 months later...

Archived