The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Gay Debate: The Bible and Homosexuality

Heretic

"Matthew Vines speaks on the theological debate regarding the Bible and the role of gay Christians in the church. Delivered at College Hill United Methodist Church in Wichita, Kansas on March 8, 2012."

What an amazing young man.

This is over an hour and everyone should watch this.

Christ is the basis of the new covenant.

Leviticus prohibits many things - none of which apply to Christians...

We are not subject to the "old law".

Christians need to throw out the "traditional interpretations" of the Bible.

Edit: Please watch the video before replying...

Edit 2: Here's his blog: http://matthewvines.tumblr.com/

The summary is this - the "traditional" interpretations of the Bible should not be applied.

That is, God's will is for everyone to be with someone - and if you believe in God, then you wouldn't want to go against God's will would you?

Christians should passionately and tenaciously embrace Gay Christians.

We should do the same to everyone.

Mathew Vines, a gay Christian, made me cry today...and that was a good thing.

Mathew Vines bears good fruit.

REALLY? An hour long and you don't care to summarize. Even I have better sh*t to do.

For those of you which try to reconcile religion with science, sexuality, abortions or even politics you have been greatly misled. Religion is fine to practice on your own, read the bible or attend Church on Sundays but don't think it's revolutionary to see Gays as regular people.

The bible is an outdated and misinterpreted form of fiction. Fast forward 2,000 years from now to when Harry Potter is the next Christ.

I honestly don't care if I get flamed for this,

I have a gay brother, and I am his number 1 supporter, along with my entire family and close friends, people who use the bible or religion to bring hate on someone for an uncontrollable thing, those are the people who should be ridiculed and hated upon.

Anybody who uses their "god" as an excuse to discriminate against other people, are the people who deserved to be hated.

I have a gay brother, and I am his number 1 supporter, along with my entire family and close friends, people who use the bible or religion to bring hate on someone for an uncontrollable thing, those are the people who should be ridiculed and hated upon.

Anybody who uses their "god" as an excuse to discriminate against other people, are the people who deserved to be hated.

There should not even be a debate about this , and what has a diety that may or may not exist got to do with this .

so long as your actions are not detrimental / cuase harm to others and you live within the laws of the country you are living in , no one has the right to step in and interfere with your thoughts and/or actions .

and you are right heretic not all christians are narrow minded bigots

1. This picture of Chicago Christians who showed up at a gay pride parade to apologize for homophobia in the Church.

enhanced-buzz-9656-1340127251-3.jpg

View this image ›

(Michelle Gantner / Maladjusted Media)

... and the reaction from the parade.

enhanced-buzz-2867-1340206104-3.jpg

View this image ›

(Michelle Gantner / Maladjusted Media)

but it seems like a large percentage of them are especially the leaders of the catholic church who influence so many christians .

I find it rather sad that it took a gay man two years to justify why he should be able to express his sexuality because he has to do it within the parameters of the bible. It's easy to present the bible version you want when it's just you up there, and I'm afraid someone with an opposing view and some bible knowledge would have a field day with this kid. I find that the only effective arguments he presents can more effectively be used to argue against believing the bible than what's in there. For example when he talks about ancient Israelite punishments not fitting the crime because they were a small group who needed an identity, indicating the Old Testament being a reflection of an ancient culture than "the breathed word of god" or whatever. Or when he talks about the Sermon on the Mount (24ish minute), and the old laws not applying to the newly Christian gentiles - well if the Council of Jerusalem says they don't! He mentions Jesus saying he's the fulfillment of the law in while arguing the old covenant being obsolete. I wonder why he didn't use the full quote... maybe it's because it says,“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished”

Truth is, this kid employs mental gymnastics to the utmost Christian degree when presenting his argument for why gays should be able to love (and his argument is more about gays being allowed to love and marry than about gay sex itself. At one point he talks about an interpretation of the bible where "men who changed from hetero to gay" are the subject, and not gays who were gay from the get-go.

I have an easier way to get rid of homophobia born of religious beliefs - stop listening to 2,000 year old desert people's opinions on society.

Gay guys left more women for me on Davie street. I have never had a problem finding and dating women in my area. Sure I had to put up with a little homo-harassment, but it was all worth it. No competition has been great and any other guy who can't see that, well I feel bad for him.

Actually I don't really feel bad for him. Again... Less competition. :bigblush:

Not to hijack the thread, but this probably doesn't deserve its own thread,

Google Announces Global Campaign To Legalize Gay Marriage

BY ON TOP MAGAZINE STAFF

PUBLISHED: JULY 07, 2012

Google has announced a global campaign in support of equal marriage rights for gay and lesbian couples.

The Internet giant announced its Legalize Love campaign at the Global LGBT Workplace Summit 2012, which took place in London.

The campaign launches Saturday, July 7 in Poland and Singapore. Organizers plan to expand the campaign to every country where Google has an office, focusing on countries where anti-gay sentiment runs high.

“We want our employees who are gay or lesbian or transgender to have the same experience outside the office as they do in the office,” Google's Mark Palmer-Edgecumbe is quoted by dot429.com as saying at the summit. “It is obviously a very ambitious piece of work.”

“Singapore wants to be a global financial center and world leader and we can push them on the fact that being a global center and a world leader means you have to treat all people the same, irrespective of their sexual orientation,” Palmer-Edgecumbe said of the decision to include Singapore in the campaign's initial phase.

Bob Amnnibale, an openly gay executive at Citi, applauded the effort: “The fact that Google is so virtual and its appeal is very wide and young demographically means it can help spread messaging very, very quickly.”

http://www.ontopmag....=1&Category=24#

How fabulous! They should start with wherever the guy in my sig is from.

Archived