The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Gay Debate: The Bible and Homosexuality

Heretic

Ketchup doesn't affect the way people think. I don't know how you can discount religion as an impotent force, when it is anything but. Sure, the idiots who follow religion into doing bad things deserve blame, but not for being bad people.

For example the case of the woman executed for adultery by the Taliban to the cheers of men. I could be wrong, but in my experience people don't kill others and cheer about unless they think what they're doing is righteous. And I can only think of one thing that can convince people that what is righteous is not, and what is not is righteous - religion.

Sure, we can blame the husband for pulling the trigger, but that doesn't really get us anywhere. That's like blaming a poor person for stealing without acknowledging his poverty to the point of starvation.

Atheism is not in any way a religion. It is a label for a group of people who have similar ideas regarding the belief of higher/supernatural powers.

Also you're putting a pretty big stereotype out there about atheists. Religion is a joke...there's no way around it but people who label themselves as religious can be just as mean spirited and hateful as anybody else.

The problem with this debate very simple...labels are what they are and they really don't matter...people are the problem. Some people on one side will read this and think that this apply's mostly to the other side and vice versa. The people who have it right are the people who just don't care. That does not mean apathy...it just means focusing on things that matter.

This debate has not been settled for thousands of years . I doubt either you or I can 'resolve' it using our 'vast' intellect that nobody else in the history of mankind did not have before us.

So there is no answer to the debate but we can try to look at it objectively at how each side acts. Turns out there are three sides. Not two.

Believers who believe whatever they want. Thats their right. When they try to shove it down our throats, yeah, thats a problem.

Agnostics who admit there is no way to know so they just ignore the issue and live and let live.

Atheists who are adamant there is no God . How do you prove that something isnt there..........isn't there? You cant.

So you need indirect evidence. Punch holes in the people who do believe . Pretty easy to understand.

Now, which group is RIGHT is entirely subjective and I guess we wont find out until the lights are out.

I prefer to look at the positive, so Atheism flies right out the window for me. I do appreciate your point of view. You seem intelligent to me.

The stock you put in religion is astounding...and silly.

It's like blaming religion for doing bad things without acknowledging that people are basically dicks. (To use a word you used earlier.)

Seriously though it really is amazing to me how much importance you put on it.

Put simply...religion simply doesn't matter. It's just a label (or group of labels) insecure people who have the same beliefs give themselves. Do we get further blaming the gun? Actually blaming the husband gets us everywhere you see because without the gun...there's the knife...without the knife....there are the hands. Blaming the gun...is stupid. Absolving the husband even in the slightest...is even worse.

It's like blaming religion for doing bad things without acknowledging that people are basically dicks. (To use a word you used earlier.)

Put simply...religion simply doesn't matter. It's just a label (or group of labels) insecure people who have the same beliefs give themselves. Do we get further blaming the gun? Actually blaming the husband gets us everywhere you see because without the gun...there's the knife...without the knife....there are the hands. Blaming the gun...is stupid. Absolving the husband even in the slightest...is even worse.

Religion does however in many cases give those "dicks" the belief that what they are doing is righteous.

If there wasn't a millenia old book telling people that homosexuality was an abomonation, homophobes would have no basis for their hate. With religion they can say "God is against it", and suddenly millions of people agree with them.

So I agree that religion does not make people do bad things, but it gives them a way to "justify" those bad things.

This is an excellent example of a kid on here who is intent on pointing the finger and ripping people apart. This is what Atheists do. I have met tens of thousands of agnostics in my time and thousands of atheists. Thousands of people of faith.

People of faith believe what they want. Agnostics dont care if you believe what you want. Atheists HATE that anyone believes.

Big difference between Agnostics and Atheists. Agnostics have no desire to challenge anyone on their spiritual beliefs. They place no value in arguing about it. It doesn't mean anything to them.

They certainly aren't interested in trolling other people into fights on a hockey blog.

Lets get back to the original topic.

The thread is called the bible and homosexuality.

I cited 4 verses from the bible clearly stating its opinion on homosexuality.

What does some video have to do with the bibles evident hate for homosexuals?

That's like me writing graffiti all over walls saying racist comments about black people then making a video saying "it wasnt meant to be taken seriously".

Religion does however in many cases give those "dicks" the belief that what they are doing is righteous.

If there wasn't a millenia old book telling people that homosexuality was an abomonation, homophobes would have no basis for their hate. With religion they can say "God is against it", and suddenly millions of people agree with them.

So I agree that religion does not make people do bad things, but it gives them a way to "justify" those bad things.

I'm an atheist. I don't hate people because they believe. Sure, have your beliefs. I don't care.

But the second people start using the Bible or any other holy book or religious beliefs to back their hateful beliefs (slavery, homophobia, women's rights), that's when my anger comes out.

Saying that "Atheists HATE that anyone believes.", is like saying that Christians hate anyone who is gay.

I don't put stock into religion, I put stock into the influence of ideas.

Sure, religion doesn't matter... until it does. Okay, we blame the husband and move on. Then another husband with the same beliefs kills his wife and we're back to square one - a dead woman and a husband whose religion permitted him to kill her. This has nothing to do with the gun, and if you think the gun analogy applies, then you must hold the husband as the gun, not religion. A gun shoots because a person pulls the trigger, similarly a man kills his wife because religion told him to. It is you who is blaming the gun. Now if you want to tell me the fundamentalist Muslims who kill their wives would kill their wives without a religion that commands it, well... I'll just say I don't know any secular people who kill their wives to the cheers of a secular crowd.

Yeah, blaming the gun is stupid, which is why I don't blame the gun but the reason it goes off.

The thread is called the bible and homosexuality.

I cited 4 verses from the bible clearly stating its opinion on homosexuality.

What does some video have to do with the bibles evident hate for homosexuals?

That's like me writing graffiti all over walls saying racist comments about black people then making a video saying "it wasnt meant to be taken seriously".

Archived