321 replies to this topic

#151 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,100 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:07 AM

No religion isn't even a fantastic idea really...not if one really thinks it out. It's a nice idea but taking in all the variables it's just awful.

A hard lined insecure atheist however is no different than a hard lined insecure theists. Seen both of that in this thread...in general.

y'all think you're right....y'all are stupid.

and Vice versa.

Edited by Armada, 09 July 2012 - 08:07 AM.

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#152 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:08 AM

Life goes on. There is no such thing as death. Re-incarnation is real. Your soul is who you are, not your body.

Hi. Awesome concept. Hope this is true. Sometimes I have faith it is, then sometimes I lose faith as there is no empirical evidence to support it. Oh well.

Here is to Hoping :)
Posted Image

#153 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:11 AM

atheists....religious....you're all the same.

Very astute point. I believe this very thing. I have always believed atheism is a form or religion.

The difference is that one can live on its own, the other lives to tear the other down.

Most folks I know are 'agnostic' , which is probably what we all are deep down. We have no way of knowing for sure if a God exists or not.

I tend to want to focus on the positive instead of the negative.
Posted Image

#154 VICanucksfan5551

VICanucksfan5551

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:19 AM

And how does that make them different as people.

I like Ketchup on my fries my wife like Mayo...whoopydoo

I was being a smartass. I don't think what I said warranted a serious response :P

Very astute point. I believe this very thing. I have always believed atheism is a form or religion.

The difference is that one can live on its own, the other lives to tear the other down.

Most folks I know are 'agnostic' , which is probably what we all are deep down. We have no way of knowing for sure if a God exists or not.

The lack of belief in a deity or deities is not a religion by any definition. If atheism is a religion, not collecting stamps is a hobby.

Edited by VICanucksfan5551, 09 July 2012 - 08:21 AM.

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#155 Canuckerbird

Canuckerbird

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:31 AM

I'm of the mind that God doesn't much care which hole you stick it in. As long as its consensual, and no children or animals are harmed in the process.

Also, somewhat off-topic but I don't feel it deserves its own thread. Why are God, Jesus, Angels etc. still depicted in modern Christian artwork as wearing flowing robes that fit the time period of the early Roman Empire? It seems to me, that if God is eternal, then portrayals of him or other divine characters shouldn't be limited to wearing ancient clothing. Contemporary artwork should have Jesus wearing jeans or cargo shorts. The Archangel Michael should be depicted with a machine gun or a lightsaber rather than a sword. It makes no sense to keep attributing ancient apparel with beings that are supposedly eternal.

Edit: These guys know what I'm talking about. http://news.bbc.co.u...sex/8050427.stm

Edit 2: Also, there should be black, latino, Asian, SE Asian, South Asian, Middle Eastern etc. angels. Angels shouldn't be exclusively of European stock.

Edited by Canuckerbird, 09 July 2012 - 08:36 AM.

My friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana. I said "No. But I do want a normal banana later, so...ya."- The Late Mitch Hedberg

Go Canucks GO

#156 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:23 AM

I was being a smartass. I don't think what I said warranted a serious response :P

The lack of belief in a deity or deities is not a religion by any definition. If atheism is a religion, not collecting stamps is a hobby.

Hi. Interesting point. Its one I came across and then put a lot of thought into it. Here are my conclusions. I have tried to keep them as objective as one can in matters such as these.

I believe based on the empirical evidence, its easy not believe in a 'deity' of some kind . This makes one an 'agnostic' . I believe most if not all of us fall into this category. We cannot prove there is a God or not.

However, to take the next step as to suggest you are CONVINCED beyond any reasonable doubt there is no God is as impossible to actually prove as there is proving there is a God. We would have to scour the entire universe and know everything before we could conclusively state we found no God or high deity.

So its based on faith. Folks have faith beyond a reasonable doubt there is a God. That is a spiritual belief.

Believing there is no God is also a belief based on faith.

The biggest discovery for me is that faith is the same as energy in the universe. It cannot be destroyed or created. Its simply transferred from one form to the next.

Everyone has a set amount of faith. We put our faith in various things. . We can transfer our faith from various things to the next, but we cannot have less or more faith as a whole. Some put faith in money. Some into sex. Some into power. Most of us put a bit into a whole pile of different concepts.

Putting ones faith into proving there is NO God is a dubious task. It becomes one who rolls up there sleeve and attacks the church and people associated with a belief in God . I cannot prescribe to this mode of faith as its way too negative.

If folks want to believe in God, who am I to say they are wrong or cut them down? Agnostics dont care if people believe in God. Atheists do.

So yes, Atheists are a religious cult all unto themselves. The difference in my opinion is they live to attack others.
Posted Image

#157 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,783 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

I don't think there is a god, gods or all powerful uncreated creator. I also think you have a right to believe in such if you choose. That all aside however, 'the bible' is more or less a redacted, translated, modified and odd thing to base any modern decisions upon. First of all, in an original form, it applied to a small sect of folks who lived in the middle east, and secondly, we now have indoor plumbing. What does that have to do with anything? The bible has a lot of rules and concepts in it that generally were meant to keep disease at bay thousands of years ago...if god is dead and anything killed it, it was advances in plumbing. Thanks, that is all I wanted to say.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#158 VICanucksfan5551

VICanucksfan5551

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:38 AM

Hi. Interesting point. Its one I came across and then put a lot of thought into it. Here are my conclusions. I have tried to keep them as objective as one can in matters such as these.

I believe based on the empirical evidence, its easy not believe in a 'deity' of some kind . This makes one an 'agnostic' . I believe most if not all of us fall into this category. We cannot prove there is a God or not.

However, to take the next step as to suggest you are CONVINCED beyond any reasonable doubt there is no God is as impossible to actually prove as there is proving there is a God. We would have to scour the entire universe and know everything before we could conclusively state we found no God or high deity.

So its based on faith. Folks have faith beyond a reasonable doubt there is a God. That is a spiritual belief.

The biggest discovery for me is that faith is the same as energy in the universe. It cannot be destroyed or created. Its simply transferred from one form to the next.

Everyone has a set amount of faith. We put our faith in various things. . We can transfer our faith from various things to the next, but we cannot have less or more faith as a whole. Some put faith in money. Some into sex. Some into power. Most of us put a bit into a whole pile of different concepts.

Putting ones faith into proving there is NO God is a dubious task. It becomes one who rolls up there sleeve and attacks the church and people associated with a belief in God . I cannot prescribe to this mode of faith as its way too negative.

If folks want to believe in God, who am I to say they are wrong or cut them down? Agnostics dont care if people believe in God. Atheists do.

So yes, Atheists are a religious cult all unto themselves. The difference in my opinion is they live to attack others.

I don't know any gnostic atheists. Do you? I'm sure they exist, but you should be more specific that that's the group you're referring to and not just anyone who doesn't believe in a god. To claim to know for certain that there is no higher power is an illogical position in my opinion. Still, a gnostic atheist would just be someone with an illogical opinion, and not someone with a religious belief system. They could happen to be religious at the same time (eg. Buddhists), but it wouldn't be their atheism that defined them as religious.

Edit: in addition, theism isn't a religion by itself, either, even if it's gnostic theism. It's an expression of belief on the subject of the existence of deities, just like atheism.

Edited by VICanucksfan5551, 09 July 2012 - 09:59 AM.

Posted Image

#159 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,068 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:51 AM

I disagree - atheists are no more a religious cult than Christians.
Not all atheists live to attack others (very few actually) and the same for Christians.
I have many good atheist friends and family members that I get along quite well with.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#160 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:23 AM

As stupid as it sounds, this is how I wish people were like when it comes to religious debates.
Posted Image

#161 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:28 AM

It's good that you "put a lot of thought into it", it's really bad that you started before having a firm grasp on the words "agnostic" and "atheist". Maybe then you'd avoid asinine statements like "Agnostics dont care if people believe in God. Atheists do".

I also didn't know the faith in my friends is the same faith that others place in god. You know, because my friends are real and the reason I have faith in them is due to their actions that had measurable effect.

There's also a big difference between an abstract concept of "god" that "agnostics" aren't sure about, and a biblical god with a whole host of contradicting qualities. Seeing the Abrahimic gods (and others) for the ludicrous caricatures of human nature that they are isn't being a cultist.

And that's not saying anything of the detrimental beliefs the bible pushes on its adherents. The only thing your post was missing for the full monty is something along the lines of "both extremes are same!"

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

#162 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:22 PM

And how does that make them different as people.

I like Ketchup on my fries my wife like Mayo...whoopydoo

I disagree, there is nothing superficial about belief systems. Without religion the world be dramatically different.

For example, without religion no one would be trying to teach intelligent design in schools as if it were on par with evolution. There would be no Bible to reconcile.

Edited by Red Light Racicot, 09 July 2012 - 12:24 PM.

#163 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,432 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:26 PM

Obviously, you didn't watch the video....pity.

I don't need to. The homosexual hate is in plain English.

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#164 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:32 PM

Anyone else thinks it's pretty hilarious that the kid in the video never questions the nature of a god that, even if allowing of homosexuality today, nonetheless punished it with death?

How can a person look at this situation from the outside and think "this all makes perfect sense, god is great"?

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

#165 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:34 PM

Hi. Awesome concept. Hope this is true. Sometimes I have faith it is, then sometimes I lose faith as there is no empirical evidence to support it. Oh well.

Here is to Hoping :)

That's what I like to believe, for whatever reason. Maybe it's just the fact that I'd like to one day be born into a better life than I have now. Of course there is the possibility of having a far worse life.I don't preach to the masses that's how it is or anything, because I don't know, it's simply an assumption. I think you're either reincarnated or you rot in the ground when you die. Try to remember what it was like before you were born-- that's what it's like when you're dead.
Posted Image

#166 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:00 PM

I disagree - atheists are no more a religious cult than Christians.
Not all atheists live to attack others (very few actually) and the same for Christians.
I have many good atheist friends and family members that I get along quite well with.

Then we shall agree to disagree.

Can we get back to the main topic now ? The homosexuality vs the biblical view?
Posted Image

#167 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:01 PM

Anyone else thinks it's pretty hilarious that the kid in the video never questions the nature of a god that, even if allowing of homosexuality today, nonetheless punished it with death?

How can a person look at this situation from the outside and think "this all makes perfect sense, god is great"?

I dunno. Good point. I don't think it makes sense either.
Posted Image

#168 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:04 PM

I disagree, there is nothing superficial about belief systems. Without religion the world be dramatically different.

For example, without religion no one would be trying to teach intelligent design in schools as if it were on par with evolution. There would be no Bible to reconcile.

Perhaps they believe in intelligent design. I do.

I believe that intelligent design was a alien whose species EVOLVED billions of years ago and now is so advanced it can create entire galaxies and planets with a recipe to evolve as well.

Seems logical to me.
Posted Image

#169 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:09 PM

I believe that intelligent design was a alien whose species EVOLVED billions of years ago and now is so advanced it can create entire galaxies and planets with a recipe to evolve as well.

Seems logical to me.

Makes more sense than the Bible. Why not?

#170 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:10 PM

Seems logical to me.

Too much Robotech? :rolleyes:

Posted Image

#171 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:38 PM

Too much Robotech? :rolleyes:

Never heard of 'robotech' but then again I am old. ::D
Posted Image

#172 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,068 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:40 PM

I don't need to. The homosexual hate is in plain English.

What are you talking about? There's no "hate" in his video....

Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#173 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:43 PM

Never heard of 'robotech' but then again I am old. ::D

It's a cartoon from early 80's. Really I was just pointing to the ludicrousness of such beliefs.

Scientology may be right up your alley.

PS. Where'd the aliens come from?

Edited by Scorpio Ego, 09 July 2012 - 01:44 PM.

Posted Image

#174 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,068 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:43 PM

Then we shall agree to disagree.

Can we get back to the main topic now ? The homosexuality vs the biblical view?

It's not "The Bible VS Homosexuality" - the topic is "The Bible and Homosexuality" and how the Bible isn't against it.

Posted Image

#175 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:18 PM

It's a cartoon from early 80's. Really I was just pointing to the ludicrousness of such beliefs.

Scientology may be right up your alley.

PS. Where'd the aliens come from?

This is an excellent example of a kid on here who is intent on pointing the finger and ripping people apart. This is what Atheists do. I have met tens of thousands of agnostics in my time and thousands of atheists. Thousands of people of faith.

People of faith believe what they want. Agnostics dont care if you believe what you want. Atheists HATE that anyone believes.

Big difference between Agnostics and Atheists. Agnostics have no desire to challenge anyone on their spiritual beliefs. They place no value in arguing about it. It doesn't mean anything to them.

They certainly aren't interested in trolling other people into fights on a hockey blog.

Lets get back to the original topic.
Posted Image

#176 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:25 PM

This is an excellent example of a kid on here who is intent on pointing the finger and ripping people apart. This is what Atheists do. I have met tens of thousands of agnostics in my time and thousands of atheists. Thousands of people of faith.

People of faith believe what they want. Agnostics dont care if you believe what you want. Atheists HATE that anyone believes.

Big difference between Agnostics and Atheists. Agnostics have no desire to challenge anyone on their spiritual beliefs. They place no value in arguing about it. It doesn't mean anything to them.

They certainly aren't interested in trolling other people into fights on a hockey blog.

:rolleyes:

I may be a dick, but at least I don't use words I don't understand the meaning of. Good day.

Posted Image

#177 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,634 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:30 PM

and Vice versa.

At least give some explanation for such a comment if that's not too much trouble.

Edited by EmployeeoftheMonth, 09 July 2012 - 02:40 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#178 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,634 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:40 PM

Atheism is not in any way a religion. It is a label for a group of people who have similar ideas regarding the belief of higher/supernatural powers.

Also you're putting a pretty big stereotype out there about atheists. Religion is a joke...there's no way around it but people who label themselves as religious can be just as mean spirited and hateful as anybody else.

The problem with this debate very simple...labels are what they are and they really don't matter...people are the problem. Some people on one side will read this and think that this apply's mostly to the other side and vice versa. The people who have it right are the people who just don't care. That does not mean apathy...it just means focusing on things that matter.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#179 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,634 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:43 PM

Without ketchup the world would be just as dramatically different.

Stop blaming religion for the stupidity of humanity. If it wasn't religion it would have been something else that's equally as silly.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#180 VICanucksfan5551

VICanucksfan5551

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

You're confusing anti-theists with atheists.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.