The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] First Week of Free Agency Over: Team Needs Remaining

CanucksFanMike

hey guys, so the first week of free agency is just about over and we still have needs which have to be filled in the next couple months between now and the beginning of September. While signing Jason Garrison was great, I thought MG could have targeted more guys who would have filled our needs. Nevertheless he didn't and there are stand-out needs which have to be filled.

This thread was created to discuss the players who MG could aquire/sign in the next few months before the season gets underway.

Suggested Topics of Dsicussion:

- Who could fill in at second line RW (assuming Mayray is gone)? Perhaps Meuller?

- Do we need to trade for/sign a checking center or is one of Lappy or Manny good enough on the third line?

- Do the Canucks need more depth and toughness up front?

- Is the top 4 (Bieksa, Hamhuis, Edler, Garrison) adequate? If not, should we make a push for Weber?

- Do we need more depth stability on the back end? Or are the signings of Joslin and Muller good enough?

- Is Eddie Lack (assumeing lui is gone) capeable of backing up Schneids or do we need to get a veteran backup?

Feel free to make full proposals if you wish!

:)

Discuss....

I'd say if we get a good return from Florida in the Luongo trade, we should flip one or two of those pieces to Nashville for Weber. So something like this

Vancouver:

Weiss

Huberdeau/Bjugstad/Gubranson

Versteeg

1st

Florida:

Luongo

Tanev

Schroeder

Rodin

1st

2nd

Luongo, Tanev, 1st = Weiss, Huberdeau

Schroeder, Rodin, 2nd = Versteeg, 1st

then

Vancouver:

Weber

Nashville:

Bieksa

Versteeg

Booth

Raymond

Malhotra

Ballard

1st

Then this is what I see our roster as after signings

Sedin - Sedin - Doan

Huberdeau - Weiss - Kesler

Burrows - Mueller - Kassian

Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen

Edler - Weber

Hamhuis - Garrison

UFA - UFA/Connauton/Sauve

Schneider

Lack

I don't know who we could pick up for the bottom pair but that top 4 is probably one of the best in the league. I'm confident that Gillis can convince Tallon to include Huberdeau in the deal. This might not happen, but again that defense will probably be one of the toughest to play against.

Answering a few questions.

The D is fine, shouldn't be touched unless Ballard gets moved. Even then, it'll no too much of a big deal because there are lots of options for a 6th spot. Always time to experiment before trade deadline. Trading for Weber is not an option. Giving away massive assets for a soon to be free agent is always a big no no. Want him? Sign him next year.

Mueller isn't an option for the 2nd line because he is soft. He would be a good fit for a decent team, but the Canucks need to be contenders. Acquiring a veteran guy like Doan would be nice, but if that option isn't available. You look for another Veteran. Maybe bring Paul Kariya out of retirement and lure Selanne for their last shot at the cup. That isn't likely to happen, so experimenting with prospect always works.

The main thing, is the Luongo watch. Perhaps, all your questions will be answered with a trade so all speculation is pointless until we hear news about Luongo. Best case scenario is that he acquires you either a 3rd line center, who can play on the wing and step up on the 2nd line. Then, there is nothing to worry about.

Lack isn't ready. Acquire a veteran goaltender to keep Schneider in check, just in case he folds under pressure. Give him a few years as the starter, before letting a rookie step in.

I'd say if we get a good return from Florida in the Luongo trade, we should flip one or two of those pieces to Nashville for Weber. So something like this

Vancouver:

Weiss

Versteeg

1st

Florida:

Luongo

Tanev

Schroeder

Rodin

1st

2nd

then

Vancouver:

Weber

Nashville:

Bieksa

Versteeg

Booth

Raymond

Malhotra

Ballard

1st

Sedin - Sedin - Doan

Edler - Weber

Hamhuis - Garrison

Schneider

Lack

I don't know who we could pick up for the bottom pair but that top 4 is probably one of the best in the league. I'm confident that Gillis can convince Tallon to include Huberdeau in the deal. This might not happen, but again that defense will probably be one of the toughest to play against.

Jensen fills in right wing (Schroeder fills in 2nd/3rd line)

Yes, we need to get a third-line centre.

Shane Doad would be nice but not impossible

Yes, it is adequate. Weber would be nice, but we'd need to trade Edler and Ballard plus other assets to get him (Edler for space in top-4, Ballard to clear up cap space), and I can't see that happening.

Moe depth would be nice but isn't critical. We do need to get younger, and signing veteran depth guys instead of using young guns isn't going to help.

Yes, we'll want a veteran backup for Schnieder. Ideally, a starter who's past his prime who knows how to handle a big workload but his body can't keep up.

Vancouver:

Weiss

Versteeg

1st

Florida:

Luongo

Tanev

Schroeder

Rodin

1st

2nd

then

Vancouver:

Weber

Nashville:

Bieksa

Versteeg

Booth

Raymond

Malhotra

Ballard

1st

Sedin - Sedin - Doan

Edler - Weber

Hamhuis - Garrison

Schneider

Lack

Alright i am gonna go ahead and answer my own questions!

- Meuller would be an ok signing given that he would be realatively cheap and is a playmaking right winger, but i would way rather make a push for Bobby Ryan.

- If we can get a third line center packaged into a lui deal or something then great, but i would be ok with Lappy at third line center heading into the season.

- No, more depth can't hurt but with the signings of Ebbett, Pinizzotto, and soon-to-be Weise (who filed for arbitration so he will be back) we are set up front.

- Yes, unless we make a serious run for Weber Garrison completes a well rounded top 4.

- Yes, signing a guy like Steve Eminger or Colin White would help our depth. With Salo and Rome leaving we need more bodies on the back end. You can never have enough of them!

- Lack deserves a shot at winning the back-up spot in training camp and the preseason. Cannata graduated from collage and is ready for the next step in his development, the AHL.

We need more depth on the back end!! I'm pretty sure Joslin and Muller are here for the wolves. And Ideally the Luongo trade needs to be made before we can start nailing down our roster, MG wants to get the guys how are leaving out of there before he moves guys in, obviously for cap and training camp reasons.

Vancouver:

Weiss

Versteeg

1st

Florida:

Luongo

Tanev

Schroeder

Rodin

1st

2nd

then

Vancouver:

Weber

Nashville:

Bieksa

Versteeg

Booth

Raymond

Malhotra

Ballard

1st

Sedin - Sedin - Doan

Edler - Weber

Hamhuis - Garrison

Schneider

Lack

Here's my take

D - no changes needed now you have

Bieksa/Hammer

Edler/Garrison

Tanev/Ballard

You also have Connaughton/Sauve/ and potentially Corrado who should see some ice so we're fine. Maybe sign one more depth player with experience for the playoff run but that's all they need. Unless they are able to find a significant upgrade with size and a temper (which I doubt) we'll be fine on d I think. Don't forget the nucks are very high on offseason development plans, coming back having worked on certain areas. Ie Tanev will be bigger, his shot will have been worked on, etc.

Upfront we are strong, we have depth the only thing we are lacking is a playmaker on the second line. That being said Kesler has hit 50 assists before so part of his selfishness may have to do with the fact (and it has been stated by media) that he lost confidence in his wingers (and who wouldn't with Mayray etc). So perhaps we can get by without if that second line can find chemistry.

Line 1

Sedin Sedin Burrows (no changes necessary)

Line2

Booth Kesler Higgins (I think you have to let these boys play together. They like each other, have a bit of an american brotherhood going, they will find chemistry because they have personal chemistry). Thats a heck of a second line (Schroeder slots in until Kes is healthy and he should, he's ready to play in the NHL and we have to let the kid play in the position he will eventually fill)

Line 3

Jensen Lapierre Hansen - Let the kid now develop as well, again MG says we need to get younger. Well put some skill on this fast, agitating, great forechecking line, allow the kid to develop his defensive game and learn from great players ahead of him. Gives that line some size, some skill, Hansen while not a great finisher seems to win puck battles alot and can pass, Jensen can finish, Lappy well he's just Lappy and just plays his role to perfection. Jensen can play both rw/lw but shoots left so better defensively on that side (better offensively from the right, better shooting angles).

Line 4

Volpatti Manny Kassian

Great faceoff man, shut down player. Size on both wings to stir it up. Personally feel Kassian should play higher up but as long as AV rolls four lines and lets the kid develop no biggy.

As you can see all, we don't have a bad team just sitting pat. Yes it would be great to fill in some of the spots and we do need depth (thus I can't see raymond moving unless we get some help upfront in the Lou deal, which is likely).

I also like the idea of moving Kassian up to the second if his fitness and conditioning are there. My guess is when he came to the Nucks he had no idea how hard they push the players in that regard. He didn't seem to have the stamina (spurts yes) but stamina no. Offseason, I am sure they pushed him on this, if he comes into camp having improved that. Move him up there. then slot Higgy to three and Hansen to four.

Come to think of that, I like that better! lol

It's funny to me that so many would think Weber will go to UFA and he'll be picked up by a team and that won't have to give up any assets. To those that think that way you're dreaming BIG time. There's no way that will happen. If he doesn't sign a long term deal with Nashville in the next while he'll get traded for a return as Nashville simply can't allow him to get away with nothing in return.

Weber the UFA = in your dreams

Vancouver:

Weiss

Versteeg

1st

Florida:

Luongo

Tanev

Schroeder

Rodin

1st

2nd

then

Vancouver:

Weber

Nashville:

Bieksa

Versteeg

Booth

Raymond

Malhotra

Ballard

1st

Sedin - Sedin - Doan

Edler - Weber

Hamhuis - Garrison

Schneider

Lack

@2013..Wow :wacko:

We need: One or even two top six forward(s) who will score, not another one who just skates at the net really fast and doesn't bury the puck. Depth on D and a solid back-up.

Trade: Luo, ($$ $ad to say, hate all you want, but he's the best goalie we've ever had, ever). Ballard, Mayray ( because he hasn't figured out how to score) and Booth ( again, no finish).

But what if MG actually traded Scheids? And Edler?

It's funny to me that so many would think Weber will go to UFA and he'll be picked up by a team and that won't have to give up any assets. To those that think that way you're dreaming BIG time. There's no way that will happen. If he doesn't sign a long term deal with Nashville in the next while he'll get traded for a return as Nashville simply can't allow him to get away with nothing in return.

Weber the UFA = in your dreams

Archived