The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] First Week of Free Agency Over: Team Needs Remaining

CanucksFanMike

I think our defense is good enough for the time being, I do however think we should sign a solid centerman, at least short term to compensate for the lack of Kesler to start the season. I don't think I'd be all that comfortable having Lapierre or Malhotra centering that second line. Giving Schroeder a shot might be okay but I'd still much prefer to have someone who can handle that role. And I would give Lack at least another year or two before making the jump to full time backup position behind Schneider.

some of these guys must be smoking meth to be thinking these deals would go down

go back to nhl12

far as im concerned all we really need is a 2nd line /3rd line center that can hold it down till kesler gets back ,

oh and doan would be nice

these fans with high free agent expectations and never realizing we have prospects willing to step up really irritate me , you get all caught up thinking vans going to get some big UFA 30 teams are going after when theres no chance and get all angry when the obvious nothing happens and act like gillis is an idiot for not making some move that could easily frack your team over for years to come

I agree that a veteran should be brought in as insurance. But Lack should be given every chance to make the team in pre-season. If he is ready to go, then that gives the team the team a bargain priced backup and a chance to fit other good players under the cap. I figure that you could see Schneider play 60 games in the coming season.

Easier said then done. What has Gillis done that is any different then Nonis,Burke ,or even Quinn during the off season. 29 other Gm lost out on Praise, Suter, and Schultz. What is really out there in the ufa market thats really worth spending money on that isn't old or losing your assets over?

Alright i am gonna go ahead and answer my own questions!

- Meuller would be an ok signing given that he would be realatively cheap and is a playmaking right winger, but i would way rather make a push for Bobby Ryan.

- If we can get a third line center packaged into a lui deal or something then great, but i would be ok with Lappy at third line center heading into the season.

- No, more depth can't hurt but with the signings of Ebbett, Pinizzotto, and soon-to-be Weise (who filed for arbitration so he will be back) we are set up front.

- Yes, unless we make a serious run for Weber Garrison completes a well rounded top 4.

- Yes, signing a guy like Steve Eminger or Colin White would help our depth. With Salo and Rome leaving we need more bodies on the back end. You can never have enough of them!

- Lack deserves a shot at winning the back-up spot in training camp and the preseason. Cannata graduated from collage and is ready for the next step in his development, the AHL.

Archived