Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

[Discussion] First Week of Free Agency Over: Team Needs Remaining

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
65 replies to this topic

#31 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:46 PM

some of these guys must be smoking meth to be thinking these deals would go down

go back to nhl12

far as im concerned all we really need is a 2nd line /3rd line center that can hold it down till kesler gets back ,

oh and doan would be nice

these fans with high free agent expectations and never realizing we have prospects willing to step up really irritate me , you get all caught up thinking vans going to get some big UFA 30 teams are going after when theres no chance and get all angry when the obvious nothing happens and act like gillis is an idiot for not making some move that could easily frack your team over for years to come

Edited by cIutch, 07 July 2012 - 10:48 PM.

Posted Image

#32 one night

one night

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,770 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:53 PM

Right now we need to wait for the Lou trade on what we get in return. The only thing I would do is get Brule signed as we are thin down the middle. I much rather have for a 1st line of Sedins & Burrow, 2nd with Booth, Kesler & Jensen, 3rd line of Higgins, Brule and Hansen, 4th Malholtra, La Pierre & Weise/Kassian. Defence looks okay, but would like to see Sauve and Connauton get a few games this year. Schneider and Lack should hold down the fort, if not you can always bring in aVet at a later date, ie December if thigs don't work out.

#33 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:57 PM

I'd say if we get a good return from Florida in the Luongo trade, we should flip one or two of those pieces to Nashville for Weber. So something like this

Vancouver:

Weiss
Huberdeau/Bjugstad/Gubranson
Versteeg
1st

Florida:

Luongo
Tanev
Schroeder
Rodin
1st
2nd

Luongo, Tanev, 1st = Weiss, Huberdeau
Schroeder, Rodin, 2nd = Versteeg, 1st

then

Vancouver:

Weber

Nashville:

Bieksa
Versteeg
Booth
Raymond
Malhotra
Ballard
1st

Then this is what I see our roster as after signings

Sedin - Sedin - Doan
Huberdeau - Weiss - Kesler
Burrows - Mueller - Kassian
Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen

Edler - Weber
Hamhuis - Garrison
UFA - UFA/Connauton/Sauve

Schneider
Lack

I don't know who we could pick up for the bottom pair but that top 4 is probably one of the best in the league. I'm confident that Gillis can convince Tallon to include Huberdeau in the deal. This might not happen, but again that defense will probably be one of the toughest to play against.

you just blew up the team with that proposal. awful, just awful.

#34 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78,362 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:13 PM

I'd say if we get a good return from Florida in the Luongo trade, we should flip one or two of those pieces to Nashville for Weber. So something like this

Vancouver:

Weiss
Versteeg
1st

Florida:

Luongo
Tanev
Schroeder
Rodin
1st
2nd

then

Vancouver:

Weber

Nashville:

Bieksa
Versteeg
Booth
Raymond
Malhotra
Ballard
1st

Sedin - Sedin - Doan

Edler - Weber
Hamhuis - Garrison

Schneider
Lack

I don't know who we could pick up for the bottom pair but that top 4 is probably one of the best in the league. I'm confident that Gillis can convince Tallon to include Huberdeau in the deal. This might not happen, but again that defense will probably be one of the toughest to play against.

Posted Image

307mg00.jpg

#35 Captain-Canuck2562

Captain-Canuck2562

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:29 PM

Because Weber is likely headed to arbitration with the preds meaning he will sign a one year deal again.... next year he will be a UFA, not an RFA so he is free to sign with whomever he wants. We have as good a chance as any team to sign him given that he is from BC and wants to play for a cup contender

Because Weber is likely headed to arbitration with the preds meaning he will sign a one year deal again.... next year he will be a UFA, not an RFA so he is free to sign with whomever he wants. We have as good a chance as any team to sign him given that he is from BC and wants to play for a cup contender

I hope so but don't think so. After the Suter incident NAshville isn't loosing another star player for nothing, especially a franchise player like Weber. If he's not signing long term in Nashville he will be traded. Expect Weber to show respect to the franchise and let them know his intentions, and if those intentions are not signing long term....Weber will be traded for assets some point this year.

#36 Dr. J.

Dr. J.

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:31 PM

I'd rather keep Lack down for one more year and have a NHL vet be the back-up to Schneids.

I agree that a veteran should be brought in as insurance. But Lack should be given every chance to make the team in pre-season. If he is ready to go, then that gives the team the team a bargain priced backup and a chance to fit other good players under the cap. I figure that you could see Schneider play 60 games in the coming season.

#37 HiFiclub

HiFiclub

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:40 PM

Vancouver:

Weiss
Versteeg
1st

Florida:

Luongo
Tanev
Schroeder
Rodin
1st
2nd

then

Vancouver:

Weber

Nashville:

Bieksa
Versteeg
Booth
Raymond
Malhotra
Ballard
1st

Sedin - Sedin - Doan

Edler - Weber
Hamhuis - Garrison

Schneider
Lack

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Keep dreaming

Edited by HiFiclub, 07 July 2012 - 11:43 PM.

Posted Image

Canucks
Posted Image

#38 Teksys

Teksys

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:52 PM

Here we go: I think our D is fine. We have a solid top six and depth on defense with the signing of Joslin and others in the system. We could add some depth but overall our D is extremely solid. Goaltending is not an issue as i think Lack is fine and we'll probably get Theodore back in the Luongo trade. I think our real issue is our forwards. We need a top six playmaking center and some grit, weise will not cut it. Thoughts?

#39 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,794 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:01 AM

Vancouver:

Weber

Nashville:

Bieksa
Versteeg
Booth
Raymond
Malhotra
Ballard
1st

Give one good reason Bieksa is going to waive his ntc.

MentalMidgetSig.jpg

#40 puckdrop81

puckdrop81

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:12 AM

Posted Image

my thoughts exactly

#41 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:13 AM

Vancouver:

Weiss
Versteeg
1st

Florida:

Luongo
Tanev
Schroeder
Rodin
1st
2nd

then

Vancouver:

Weber

Nashville:

Bieksa
Versteeg
Booth
Raymond
Malhotra
Ballard
1st

Sedin - Sedin - Doan

Edler - Weber
Hamhuis - Garrison

Schneider
Lack

Posted Image
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#42 RIPRYP

RIPRYP

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:11 AM

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Keep dreaming

great!

RIP to the BEST pound for pound fighter the NHL has ever seen. Will be missed.

#43 RBCanucks

RBCanucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:13 AM

Vancouver:

Weiss
Versteeg
1st

Florida:

Luongo
Tanev
Schroeder
Rodin
1st
2nd

then

Vancouver:

Weber

Nashville:

Bieksa
Versteeg
Booth
Raymond
Malhotra
Ballard
1st

Sedin - Sedin - Doan

Edler - Weber
Hamhuis - Garrison

Schneider
Lack

That is one of the worst lineups I have ever seen.

#44 canacks1970

canacks1970

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:03 AM

Instead of speculating on what we could do, lets speculate on what GMMG is GOING to do. And that's nothing.

Easier said then done. What has Gillis done that is any different then Nonis,Burke ,or even Quinn during the off season. 29 other Gm lost out on Praise, Suter, and Schultz. What is really out there in the ufa market thats really worth spending money on that isn't old or losing your assets over?

#45 komodo1970

komodo1970

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:27 AM

I think what needs to happen first before any other moves is Lu to be traded. The outcome of that trade will help to determine what Gillis needs to do the fill out their roster with the right mix of talent.

I agree. I think it's why MG has been hesitant on signing high profile players. Until he knows what he has, it's hard to know what we need. I'm perfectly comfortable going into next season with what we have. Come December a lot more teams are gonna start understanding their needs and get more willing to make deals. As happens every year, goalies are gonna turn into duds and (especially those in jeopardy of losing their jobs) GMs are gonna be desperate. When this happens it will put us more in the drivers seat and make a much more impactful deal possible.

#46 Silfverberg Snipes

Silfverberg Snipes

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:33 AM

Easier said then done. What has Gillis done that is any different then Nonis,Burke ,or even Quinn during the off season. 29 other Gm lost out on Praise, Suter, and Schultz. What is really out there in the ufa market thats really worth spending money on that isn't old or losing your assets over?

... are you not reiterating what I just said? Gillis isn't going to to do much else. I firmly believe that he is waiting for the next offseason to finally make this Cup contending roster a viable threat. Shea Weber will come here via free agency since Suter left. Kesler will have the entire offseason to finally train. And that gives us all of this year to basically see what Kassian and our other prospects are capable of doing in the NHL. Canucks for the Cup in 2014! Hopefully Kassian can find his role on either our third, second or first line and we will have some serious depth.

Sig too big. 

#47 MattJVD

MattJVD

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

Provided Lou gets moved, I would like to get a good 2nd/3rd line centre with some size and grit in return to run an excellent 3rd line with Higgins and Hansen. Then make a play for Semin though free-agency, he has underachived the last two seasons but I think he'd be capable of 40+ goals playing with the selfless Sedins'. That drops Burrows to the 2nd line with Kes and Booth, which would give it much more ballance and a little passing capability. 4th line with Lappy, Weise, and Volpatti was excellent early last season, maybe Kassian there too.

Edited by MattJVD, 08 July 2012 - 09:50 AM.

#48 Rink on Renfrew

Rink on Renfrew

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:12 AM

LOLOL. SIX PLAYERS AND A FIRST. What the **** are you smoking bro? You think Weber is worth 6 roster players and a top 30 2013 prospect? I'm so glad you're not our GM.

Not to mention that you absolutely demolish the small remainder of our own prospect pool by giving up Schroeder/Tanev not to mention our other picks.

Also, not to mention, that there is no way that Florida would give up a huge portion of their line-up for some young up and coming players and a large contract goalie who played poorly in his previous years in Florida.

But, thank you for the laugh.

Ummmm........
Are you really saying Luongo played poorly his previous years with the Panthers???

I'm guessing you weren't following the league at that point. He was the best player on the team by a long shot. A LONG SHOT! Faced 40+ shots a game and kept them competitive.

I swear CDC get worse and worse by the week.

To the OP, nice topics but you fail to come up with anything new to discuss. It's just a conglomerate of topics already being discussed. Your trade proposals actually make our team worse.

#49 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,968 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:45 AM

D is good as is. Garrison will play in the top 4 along with Edler, Bieksa and Hamhuis. Ballard and Tanev on the bottom paring as they have looked quite good when they played and Ballard was really picking up his play before his injury and I see him being better this upcoming season.

Main thing we need now is a top 6 forward and 3rd line centre (like Hodgson. A player that can get points without having a huge risk of allowing players/goals get behind them).
Both of these things could be arranged in the Luongo trade, we'll just have to wait and see.

Back-up Goalie - I say a veteran for a year then Lack can make the jump after that...maybe Auld? He was a pretty good back-up and could possibly play a decent 20 games.

team-canada-jarome-iginla-photo.jpg

#50 pianoman13

pianoman13

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

We need
-a playmaking top 6 forward
-a 3rd line center
-some depth defensemen

I feel quite comfortable with Lapierre as our third line center, I agree with the other two though.

No videos in sig please. 

#51 Meyer_Buttreeks

Meyer_Buttreeks

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:20 PM

We need Rick Nash to play with the Sedins.

We need a #2 calibre centre to fill in for Kesler and then compete with Kesler for the #2 spot after he returns from injury.

We could still use Ogie Oglethorpe.

#52 icycold

icycold

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

I doubt anything is going to be done via free agent again this yr, I'm thinking MG will be looking for another big sized quality D-man, top 6 potential forward (possibly kassian-ish) and a back up in a trade involving Louuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu,raymond, and whoever. We have to remember the cap space just like everyone else so MG has only so much to work with, it's not like we can go after the top free agents and not worry about it. At the end of the day MG will do his best to make this team better so i'm not that concerned.
HABS SUCK!!!

#53 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,040 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

Vancouver:

Weiss
Versteeg
1st

Florida:

Luongo
Tanev
Schroeder
Rodin
1st
2nd

then

Vancouver:

Weber

Nashville:

Bieksa
Versteeg
Booth
Raymond
Malhotra
Ballard
1st

Sedin - Sedin - Doan

Edler - Weber
Hamhuis - Garrison

Schneider
Lack

puahaha

RIP LB RR PD

#54 YaK

YaK

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:21 PM

Frankly, these are questions that are dependent on what comes back in a Luongo trade. Roster-wise, I would think that MG is looking to upgrade one of the top 6 forwards in a trade - preferably a Centre. If a better top 4 defenseman is available via trade then he will go that way. Whichever need is left unmet will likely be approached through free agency
Posted Image
"It felt almost like it was a dream," Burrows said of his game-winner.
"But guys jumped on me and I couldn't breathe, so I knew it was right."

#55 TheWheeler

TheWheeler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:04 PM

Can you people stop quoting that long, obviously retarded, proposal and saying the exact same thing everyone else has said after it?

#56 TheWestCoastConnection

TheWestCoastConnection

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:04 PM

Its hard to say at this point (with the pending Lu trade) but as of now id say:

Defense:

A very solid top 6 (Juice, Hammer, Edler, Garrison, Tanev, Ballard) but still in need of depth because we all know you can never have enough, I would also not turn down an acceptable Ballard trade, it would both free up some cap space and, if put together in the right package, could get us help on offence or an upgrade on D.

Offense:

The first line is fine as usual, Sedins & Burr, second line could use a playmaker (Mueller?) but id personally be fine with seeing the AmEx line once again, Schroeder or maybe Lapierre could fill in while Kesler is out, third line is also not too much of an issue besides the need of an everyday centre, though Lappy has shown before that he is capable of stepping up, with Jensen/Kassian and Hansen on the wings, 4th line: Manny, Wiese and another fighter.

Goalies:
Schneider with a solid veteran back-up (likely Theodore). This will allow Lack to develop for another year in the AHL.

With the roster we have we can go into the season and easily challenge for another NW division title and hopefully a more successful playoff run. (EVERYTHING PENDING THE OUTCOME OF THE LU TRADE)
Posted Image

#57 19eightyfour

19eightyfour

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:36 PM

Vancouver:

Weiss
Versteeg
1st

Florida:

Luongo
Tanev
Schroeder
Rodin
1st
2nd

then

Vancouver:

Weber

Nashville:

Bieksa
Versteeg
Booth
Raymond
Malhotra
Ballard
1st

Sedin - Sedin - Doan

Edler - Weber
Hamhuis - Garrison

Schneider
Lack

i realize everyone has jumped all over this, but seriously...? this is not only unbelievable, but it has to be up there with the worst proposals i have seen on here. top ten, easily. admittedly i don't read a lot of them, for this very reason. you're idea means trading 3 to 4 good to very good defenders (and tanev has some real potential) for 1 great one and hope they sign a couple more that fit the requirements and standards to slot into the top 6 of a stanley cup calibre team... oh, and then there's all that other even crazier crap, like giving away 4 top forwards and a few decent prospects. you're nucking futs! just so ya know.

#58 Mad Cow Disease

Mad Cow Disease

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:43 PM

Vancouver:

Weber

Nashville:

Bieksa
Versteeg
Booth
Raymond
Malhotra
Ballard
1st

:picard:

#59 micgao

micgao

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:51 PM

Because you're a tool.

You call me a tool because I think Weber has no chance of landing in Vancouver. And no, all the propositions in this thread probably won't even work in NHL 12.

Some people on here :picard:
Posted Image

#60 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:25 PM

Im hoping the Luongo deal gets done sooner than later; we'll have a much better picture by that time of what's still needed. Top priorities should still be a good 3rd line center and someone that can step into the 2nd line if needed for a period of time, another depth defenseman someone with real NHL experience, another top six guy to hopefully fill Raymonds spot, and i hope for once we can finally carry a legit fighter on this team...i know it hasn't been talked about much lately but it sure was in the middle of last season around here and you can bet it will come around again.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.