Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

[Discussion] First Week of Free Agency Over: Team Needs Remaining

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
65 replies to this topic

#61 Silfverberg Snipes

Silfverberg Snipes

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:42 PM

You call me a tool because I think Weber has no chance of landing in Vancouver. And no, all the propositions in this thread probably won't even work in NHL 12.

Some people on here :picard:

Are you talking about just this year? Because we can probably get him next year when he's a UFA...

Sig too big. 

#62 Edler Is a Beast

Edler Is a Beast

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:47 AM

I think our defense is good enough for the time being, I do however think we should sign a solid centerman, at least short term to compensate for the lack of Kesler to start the season. I don't think I'd be all that comfortable having Lapierre or Malhotra centering that second line. Giving Schroeder a shot might be okay but I'd still much prefer to have someone who can handle that role. And I would give Lack at least another year or two before making the jump to full time backup position behind Schneider.

#63 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:07 AM

some of these guys must be smoking meth to be thinking these deals would go down

go back to nhl12

far as im concerned all we really need is a 2nd line /3rd line center that can hold it down till kesler gets back ,

oh and doan would be nice

these fans with high free agent expectations and never realizing we have prospects willing to step up really irritate me , you get all caught up thinking vans going to get some big UFA 30 teams are going after when theres no chance and get all angry when the obvious nothing happens and act like gillis is an idiot for not making some move that could easily frack your team over for years to come

Firstly the fans you talk about are probably like me, who see what in their opinion are holes which require filling. Not only require filling but require to be filled with players with a certain abrasive, attritional playoff quality.

I don't mind repeating myself. I see the first, as a big abrasive, sniping winger to help take the strain off the Sedins (who get corralled and pounded every playoff series)

Burrows in my scenario would move to the 2nd line with a big play making centre and Kes............... Booth would be traded.

There is then a need for one of the top 4 slots in the D to be filled by a big commanding D who would protect the goalie and clear out the bodies. That would in my mind have been Salo's replacement but instead we have replaced him with someone with more Ehrhoff qualities.

Now I would love these players to come from the prospects but I don't think they are there or if they are there, I doubt they are NHL ready. I am here to be convinced though.

Perhaps you could tell me why you think we are
a) Not in need of this strengthening.
B) Or if you agree, the players who could step up and fill these rolls from the prospects pool. I am interested in your thoughts.
Kevin.jpg

#64 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:16 AM

I agree that a veteran should be brought in as insurance. But Lack should be given every chance to make the team in pre-season. If he is ready to go, then that gives the team the team a bargain priced backup and a chance to fit other good players under the cap. I figure that you could see Schneider play 60 games in the coming season.

What's wrong with Climie?
Kevin.jpg

#65 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:19 AM

Easier said then done. What has Gillis done that is any different then Nonis,Burke ,or even Quinn during the off season. 29 other Gm lost out on Praise, Suter, and Schultz. What is really out there in the ufa market thats really worth spending money on that isn't old or losing your assets over?

Well Jagr would have been nice. He was on the shelf for a while. So would Souray in my opinion or even Morrisonn. Semin, Doan?
Kevin.jpg

#66 Bill F-ing Murray

Bill F-ing Murray

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:40 AM

Alright i am gonna go ahead and answer my own questions!

- Meuller would be an ok signing given that he would be realatively cheap and is a playmaking right winger, but i would way rather make a push for Bobby Ryan.

- If we can get a third line center packaged into a lui deal or something then great, but i would be ok with Lappy at third line center heading into the season.

- No, more depth can't hurt but with the signings of Ebbett, Pinizzotto, and soon-to-be Weise (who filed for arbitration so he will be back) we are set up front.

- Yes, unless we make a serious run for Weber Garrison completes a well rounded top 4.

- Yes, signing a guy like Steve Eminger or Colin White would help our depth. With Salo and Rome leaving we need more bodies on the back end. You can never have enough of them!

- Lack deserves a shot at winning the back-up spot in training camp and the preseason. Cannata graduated from collage and is ready for the next step in his development, the AHL.

This is how jobs should be earned on any team, if a player is better but without the pedigree they should have a chance to play. that being said we should have a veteran in to fight for the position.

Side note Loungo is a great goaler* after October mid November, He might do better now seeing as his job is not guaranteed.

Posted Image

“Since the beginning of recorded history, which is defined by the invention of writing by the Sumerians around 6,000 years ago, historians have cataloged over 3700 supernatural beings, of which 2870 can be considered deities.

So next time someone tells me they believe in God, I’ll say “Oh which one? Zeus? Hades? Jupiter? Mars? Odin? Thor? Krishna? Vishnu? Ra?…” If they say “Just God. I only believe in the one God,”

I’ll point out that they are nearly as atheistic as me.I don’t believe in 2,870 gods, and they don’t believe in 2,869.”

Ricky Gervais

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.