The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Baby names

I♥Wellwood

Is it a surprise that the second most popular baby boy name this year was Mason ? Oh those Kardashians..

The list:

Boys:

1. Jacob (Twilight ?)

2. Mason

3. William

4. Jayden

5. Noah

Girls:

1. Sophia

2. Isabella

3. Emma

4. Olivia

5. Ava

Personally, I think the top 5 girls names are played out... but that's obviously why they're included in the top 5 !

Guest BuckFoston

I have an aunt named Rita... she's pretty much ruined the name for me. Desmond is cute though. Congrats on your engagement ! Your fiancee is very cute :)

Here are some of the worst offenders that have been officially BANNED in their own countries, but that any Tombola, Dickdastardly or Haribo could call their babies in Britain.

Lucifer, V8, Christ and Messiah are among the baby names rejected by New Zealand's department of internal affairs. Disappointed parents wishing to christen their offspring with numbers (89), letters (J, I, T) and punctuation marks (*) were also given short shrift.

Fish and Chips (twins), Yeah Detroit, Keenan Got Lucy and Sex Fruit also got the kybosh, though the New Zealand judges did allow Number 16 Bus Shelter and Violence.

• But the top of the NZ banned list must surely be Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii.

• In Sweden, there is a law preventing parents from naming their children Metallica and Elvis. But in a parental fightback, a couple attempted to name their child Brfxxccxxmnpcccclllmmnprxvclmnckssqlbb11116. Yes, it's spelled correctly. We've double-checked! And apparently, it's pronounced "Albin", though we're not sure how.

• In Italy, judges prevented a couple calling their kid Venerdi aka Friday. They reckoned the name - taken from Robinson Crusoe - would expose the boy to "mockery".

• Over in Norway, a woman was thrown in jail for two days for giving her child the unapproved name Gesher aka Bridge.

• On the other side of the world, the Malaysian government banned the name Chow Tow. It sounds harmless enough, until you realise the translation is Smelly Head!

• But in China, a family wanted to keep their baby's name short and sweet, by simply calling it @. Perfect for Twitter, we'd have thought.

• In Germany, the names Stompie, Woodstock and Grammophon have been turned down, whereas the similarly strange Speedy, Lafayette and Jazz were allowed.

• But surely top of the pile (excuse the pun) of banned baby names is this from Denmark: Anus. Apparently, the judges thought the baby's parents were trying to make an a**e of their offpring!

Violence is kind of a cool name. Beats the idiot name that Jermaine Jackson gave his son. ........ Jermajesty Jackson. :picard:

^ Speaking of weird names, here are a few !

- Penn Jillette named his child 'Moxie Crimefighter Jillette'

- Frank Zappa's children all have odd names.. 'Moon Unit', 'Diva Thin Muffin', 'Dweezil'

- Shannyn Sossamon named her baby 'Audio Science'

- Jason Lee named his kid 'Pilot Inspektor'

I actually like this one ! Sylvester Stallone named his kid 'Sage Moonblood Stallone'.. how sick is that ?!

Archived