The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PK's Bodyweight Workout Regimen

Patrick Kane

PK's Bodyweight Workout Regimen

This routine is designed for beginners interested in getting into to shape.

Note: I will not tolerate anyone coming into this thread to troll or antagonize others. I'm warning you right now.

While I can't promise you that you'll look like a Calvin Klein model, I guarentee that you will see an increase of strength and some size.

Bodyweight exercises are often neglected and frowned upon by bodybuilders of today. The 'principles' of working out are squats, deadlifts and bench. These are the most popular and effective workouts in the gym.

But asking someone who hasn't lifted a weight before to perform those exercises is silly. It is better to increase your fundamental strength at home, before you even bother going to a weight room.

Why don't more people use bodyweight exercises? Because at a certain point, your bodyweight will get too easy. At that point you will stop seeing gains in mass. But fortunately there are some variations that can be utilized to make the exercise harder, and stimulate the muscle.

What are bodyweight exercises most effective for? I find them effective for losing weight . You can train at a high intensity and do a lot of plyometric movements, and adding intense cardio and a good diet, you won't need to step into the gym.

What are the downsides to bodyweight exercises? It's hard to hit your biceps and shoulders. Also its very hard to hit your back if you don't have a pull up bar, or a tree branch, or something to do pull-ups or chin ups on. If you do have a pull-up bar, you can hit your biceps pretty well and your back. Shoulders get worked a bit via push-ups. The chest has the most growth potential using bodyweight. So many variations of push-ups, will get you a nice chest! Doing chest goes hand in hand with triceps, doing chest work also works your tricep. There some variations that can focus on your triceps as well. Doing your legs isn't too bad either with bodyweight. Also your abs will be killed using the P90X Ab Ripper X.

But working out only requires 1% of your week. Yep, thats right! Think about it.

In a 7 day week there are 168 hours. We'll be working out 4 times a week for around 40-45 minutes. Thats 3 hours tops!

Two EXTREMELY important factors, which are more important then working out itself is SLEEP and NUTRITION.

Depending on your goals, nutrition plays a huge factor. You want to gain size? You need to intake a surplus of calories. You want to lose weight? You need a caloric deficit.

What kinds of foods should I be eating? I'll go into that later, but the three key things are protein, carbs and fats.

Sleep is also very imporant. Without sleep, your muscles won't recover and grow. A rule of thumb is atleast 8 hours of sleep, but everyone is different.

I'm done blabbering now, hopefully more people sign-up!

I would rather everyone keep their personal statistics (height/weight) to themselves. If you see progress, you post it in the thread, for example; "I lost 2 pounds this week" or "I gained 1 pound this week" Althought I would like you guys to tell me your height and weight via PM if your doing this.

I'm going to be helping my cousin do this routine. He's 15 years old, and is looking to get rid of his gut and gain some strength. I'll post his updates here.

The main exercise in this regimen will be the push-up. If you struggle to do push-ups, do them on your knees.

FUQZR.gif

You can always drop down to your knees to do a chest exercise that's difficult (such as wide-grip or close-grip push-ups)

What you'll need.

Water bottle

Towel

Pull-up bar*

Sturdy chairs

Textbooks

Resistance band*

If you don't have a pull-bar, you could go get one, I'll make our back workouts the last one of the week so you can go get one, but if you still can't, there are some variations you can do with a resistance band. If you don't have that, then skip the back portion of the regimen.

List of Exercises

Chest

Standard Push-ups

j9zEv.gif

Wide-grip Push-ups

Simply a standard push-up with arms farther apart.

Single-leg Push-ups

Simply a standard push-up with one leg in the air.

Elevated Push-ups

Simply a standard push-up with both hands on a something to elevate you. Such as two big textbooks, two blocks, etc...

Incline Push-ups

hNuJX.gif

Decline Push-ups

Simply a standard push-up with both your legs on a surface. Such as a chair or table.

Dive Bomber Push-ups

A very unique push-up that works the entire upperbody and core. Check out

video.

4 Second Push-ups

Simply a standard push-up, but on the way down you take 4 seconds. Come back up immediately.

Quick Push-ups

Simply a standard push-up, as fast as you can.

Plyometric Push-ups*

6Upw4.gif

Side-to-side Push-ups*

A very tough push-up variation. Check out this video.

Sweet Mother Mary of God....A fitness/wellness thread where the OP actually knows what he is talking about, This is very refreshing!

I am currently on Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 program but will gladly help out/follow along if needed?

Hey PKane, I have an idea. How about we have Circuit days.

Once every 2 weeks, the participants compete in a timed body weight circuit.

Example

25 pushups

50 crunches (weighted or not)

5-10 chinups

50 bodyweight squats

Have to do the exercises above 4 times. Time yourself and PM Pkane your time .

Thoughts?

Hey PKane, I have an idea. How about we have Circuit days.

Once every 2 weeks, the participants compete in a timed body weight circuit.

Example

25 pushups

50 crunches (weighted or not)

5-10 chinups

50 bodyweight squats

Have to do the exercises above 4 times. Time yourself and PM Pkane your time .

Thoughts?

Archived