The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PK's Bodyweight Workout Regimen

Patrick Kane

Well, based on the compelling evidence which you've proposed above, I may need to alter my position! :picard:

Explain to me what's wrong with diet soda. There are 0 calories. Aspartame is a risk if you're drinking roughly 36 cans of pop/day. So, yes, if you're drinking 3 cases of Diet Coke daily, you may want to taper down. But the amount of aspartame in a single serving of Diet Coke is both microscopic and immaterial; and there's no reliable scientific evidence linking it to any long-term ill-effects. And no, some no-name's vegan blog on the internet does not qualify as scientific evidence, thank you.

RE: sugar. "Excess sugar intake" which Deb alludes to is in itself meaningless. The problem with sugar is that it's not satiating. So you can either eat a Snickers bar, or two cans of tuna (in water), both of which will amount to roughly the same amount of calories. The main difference is that one will make you full, and the other will just make you hungrier. Take a guess which is which.

So the problem with eating a lot of sugar, then, is that because it's not satiating, you end up still hungry, which leads you to eat more calories, to try and satisfy your hunger. And what does this lead to? FATNESS! If you're fat, it's because you've ate at a caloric surplus (relative to your age & weight), and nothing else. It is ONLY related to sugar in the sense that sugar can often lead to overeating. In the earlier example, the guy who ate a Snickers is clearly still hungry, whereas the guy who ate the two cans of tuna is in a protein-infused coma. So the guy who ate a Snickers bar will maybe then go make a PB&J sandwich and a small bag of chips. Calories now clock in at:

-Guy who ate tuna: 220 calories

-Guy who ate Snickers, then sandwich & chips: 1,000 calories (approximate)

And to figure out your maintenance caloric intake, multiply your bodyweight by 14 (not exact, but close enough). If you weigh 150 pounds, your maintenance caloric intake is probably somewhere around the 1,950 - 2,250 range. If you eat LESS than that, you lose weight; if you eat MORE than that, you gain weight. It's that simple. Like I said earlier, if your maintenance caloric intake is 1,950 calories, and all you ate all day was 1,500 calories of pixie sticks, you'd end up losing just under 1 lb./week (3,500 calories = 1 pound).

Well, it's still not healthy for you. It's processed garbage. It's made in a factory. There's nothing nutritional or beneficial coming from pop regardless of it's calorie or sugar content. It's going to make you feel like a piece of trash after a while, especially if you actually do work out or exercise. And you'll notice it pretty damn quick. And along with that, you wont see any results at the gym. Mike Cammallerri doesn't buy anything that comes in a box. Granted, not everything in a box is bad for you, but when you make the money he does, you can afford to buy whatever the hell you want organic wise. I'd say he's fairly credible given he's a professional athlete who has been here and done that and also learned from professionals in the process.

Define "healthy".

And practically everything is processed, BTW.

Where are you coming up with this stuff? A diet pop is going to negate any results from working out? :lol:

As for Cammalleri, he doesn't buy anything that comes in a box? What about things that come in a cylinder, like all of the BioSteel overpriced crap all over his Twitter feed? I guess whey protein/amino acids are somehow grown in his own garden, and not processed?

You're just flat-out wrong. It's too bad that people may actually listen to you, because you're just wrong.

Looks like I rambled a bit in the post above.

The short answer to your question on macros is yes. If you have targets that you've established and adhere to them, they act as a sort of "leash" on your diet. If you adhere to your macros, you can make room for whatever sort of junk you want. I know an amateur bodybuilder who's also big on cooking, and he makes all kinds of crazy macro-friendly desserts. There are recipes for those all over 'net. High protein cheesecakes, etc.

Now, are some sources of carbs better than others? Of course, but if you're only eating rice, potatoes, and veggies, and if you don't like those foods, you'll get sick of your diet pretty quickly, and probably have a binge episode or two. The best diet is the one that you can stick to. Having macro targets and adhering to them with whatever foods you want makes dieting a breeze. And learning to read labels, and documenting all of your food/calorie/macro intake, will actually be one of the most useful lifelong educations that you'll get.

Tried this today, got to say after doing the Monday routine I know where my weaknesses are now. I'm an avid runner (10K daily) so I was really strong on the leg based exersizes, and because I only lift to maintain muscle, the arm ones were okay to so/so for my own personal standards.

Excellent routine PK. I don't know if I'll be following it strictly as I have my own routine that I like, but I will be including it for some variation!

Archived