Caboose

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,655 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

Racist......

Are you an idiot?

You very clearly don't know what 'racism' is.

Is a Ukranian a race?

Jq9Htab.jpg

#122 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

Cutting takes way longer than I thought :lol:

BB article/video tutorial suggests 2-3 pounds a week max. Friends also took 3/4 months to get where they wanted. I thought when I first started I would be done a month later.
Posted Image

#123 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,641 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:48 PM

There's nothing inherently wrong with sugar, as long as it doesn't lead to overeating. It's not the sugar that makes you fat, it's the binge eating that tends to follow. The only way one can accumulate fat/mass is by eating at a caloric surplus. If you ate nothing but 1,000 calories of pixie sticks per day, you would not be fat. You would look like crap, but you'd not be fat.

Regarding soda - switch to diet. There are 0 calories in diet soda. I agree that the switch from regular to diet is the easiest way to "save" 100 - 500 calories per day, depending on the amount that you drink. There is nothing wrong with diet soda. Anybody who tells you otherwise is an alarmist hippie, or a Ukranian.

Anybody who tells you there's nothing wrong with over indulging in sugar and diet pop understands little about nutrition. But by all means, go for it.

Posted Image

#124 Not A Fruit

Not A Fruit

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:58 PM

Im in :) But only after my vacation, which lasts until August 1st.
Posted Image
Special Thanks to Twilight Sparkle ^

#125 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:24 PM

And keep in mind that fruits = sugar. Even some veggies (carrots). Of course, there's no discouraging these options, but too much will also increase overall sugar intake.

One of the BEST things you can do in your lifetime is eliminate pop and sugary drinks...stick to water. The calories you'll saving in this alone will make a difference.

saying "fruit = sugar" is simplistic, misleading, and could lead people from eating fruit in exchange for something else, like some 'diet' product, which is idiotic and infinitely more unhealthy than a handful of berries

fruit can cure a 'sugar craving' in a great way, because yes, it is sugary, but it's NATURAL sugar. The body CAN handle natural sugar, and you will digest and burn natural sugars with ease.

sugar-sugar (refined) does not digest well at all, and is difficult to burn.

everyone, fruit is good for you. eat it.

AND READ MICHAEL POLLAN'S BOOKS.

he seems like the only honest person on the planet, and will tell you that all of this food science people are spreading around is complete and utter garbage

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#126 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:25 PM

There's nothing inherently wrong with sugar, as long as it doesn't lead to overeating. It's not the sugar that makes you fat, it's the binge eating that tends to follow. The only way one can accumulate fat/mass is by eating at a caloric surplus. If you ate nothing but 1,000 calories of pixie sticks per day, you would not be fat. You would look like crap, but you'd not be fat.

Regarding soda - switch to diet. There are 0 calories in diet soda. I agree that the switch from regular to diet is the easiest way to "save" 100 - 500 calories per day, depending on the amount that you drink. There is nothing wrong with diet soda. Anybody who tells you otherwise is an alarmist hippie, or a Ukranian.

wrong, wrong, wrong, a thousand times wrong

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#127 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:30 PM

Sugar typically is 'bad'. Some more than others. Even healthy forms of sugar is bad if over consumed. Most things are bad if over done.

Edited by Tortorella's Rant, 15 July 2012 - 08:32 PM.

Posted Image

#128 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,641 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:47 PM

saying "fruit = sugar" is simplistic, misleading, and could lead people from eating fruit in exchange for something else, like some 'diet' product, which is idiotic and infinitely more unhealthy than a handful of berries

fruit can cure a 'sugar craving' in a great way, because yes, it is sugary, but it's NATURAL sugar. The body CAN handle natural sugar, and you will digest and burn natural sugars with ease.

sugar-sugar (refined) does not digest well at all, and is difficult to burn.

everyone, fruit is good for you. eat it.

AND READ MICHAEL POLLAN'S BOOKS.

he seems like the only honest person on the planet, and will tell you that all of this food science people are spreading around is complete and utter garbage

And keep in mind that fruits = sugar. Even some veggies (carrots). Of course, there's no discouraging these options, but too much will also increase overall sugar intake.

Posted Image

#129 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:56 PM

remember guys, avocado = fat!

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#130 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:57 PM

thank you for highlighting that part, i didn't read it the first time

do you think that eating a lot of anything will increase the intake of that something?

no matter how many times you highlight it, it doesn't offset the misleading "fruit = sugar" thing you started with

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#131 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:58 PM

Sugar typically is 'bad'. Some more than others. Even healthy forms of sugar is bad if over consumed. Most things are bad if over done.

no, natural sugar is not bad

and yeah, anything over-consumed is bad. that's why it's called OVER consuming.

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#132 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:05 PM

no, natural sugar is not bad

and yeah, anything over-consumed is bad. that's why it's called OVER consuming.

Hence it is bad when over consumed.
Posted Image

#133 Nathan MacKinnon

Nathan MacKinnon

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,242 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:09 AM

Are you an idiot?

You very clearly don't know what 'racism' is.

Is a Ukranian a race?

I can assure you I'm not an idiot and I know what racism means
Didn't word that properly

What's gotten into you lately you're not the Caboose I got to be friends with, you're becoming the Caboose that I hated months ago.....

+1 this post!

Posted Image

Credit to Intoewsables :wub: :wub: :wub:

Formerly known as UMADBRO?

Luongo Supporter. Does not deserve any of this BS

#134 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:59 PM

Damn, quads are still sore from 72 hours ago. 6 sets of squats, 3 sets seated leg extension.
Posted Image

#135 diesel_3

diesel_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,481 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:51 PM

Hey guys and gals,
Just checking in...looks like people are really on the right track and some good info being poured into this thread!

Cheers
Posted Image
Thanks to JimLahey for the great Sig!
Posted Image
SUPPORT YOUR TROOPS!

#136 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:54 PM

wrong, wrong, wrong, a thousand times wrong

Well, based on the compelling evidence which you've proposed above, I may need to alter my position! :picard:

Explain to me what's wrong with diet soda. There are 0 calories. Aspartame is a risk if you're drinking roughly 36 cans of pop/day. So, yes, if you're drinking 3 cases of Diet Coke daily, you may want to taper down. But the amount of aspartame in a single serving of Diet Coke is both microscopic and immaterial; and there's no reliable scientific evidence linking it to any long-term ill-effects. And no, some no-name's vegan blog on the internet does not qualify as scientific evidence, thank you.

RE: sugar. "Excess sugar intake" which Deb alludes to is in itself meaningless. The problem with sugar is that it's not satiating. So you can either eat a Snickers bar, or two cans of tuna (in water), both of which will amount to roughly the same amount of calories. The main difference is that one will make you full, and the other will just make you hungrier. Take a guess which is which.

So the problem with eating a lot of sugar, then, is that because it's not satiating, you end up still hungry, which leads you to eat more calories, to try and satisfy your hunger. And what does this lead to? FATNESS! If you're fat, it's because you've ate at a caloric surplus (relative to your age & weight), and nothing else. It is ONLY related to sugar in the sense that sugar can often lead to overeating. In the earlier example, the guy who ate a Snickers is clearly still hungry, whereas the guy who ate the two cans of tuna is in a protein-infused coma. So the guy who ate a Snickers bar will maybe then go make a PB&J sandwich and a small bag of chips. Calories now clock in at:

-Guy who ate tuna: 220 calories

-Guy who ate Snickers, then sandwich & chips: 1,000 calories (approximate)

And to figure out your maintenance caloric intake, multiply your bodyweight by 14 (not exact, but close enough). If you weigh 150 pounds, your maintenance caloric intake is probably somewhere around the 1,950 - 2,250 range. If you eat LESS than that, you lose weight; if you eat MORE than that, you gain weight. It's that simple. Like I said earlier, if your maintenance caloric intake is 1,950 calories, and all you ate all day was 1,500 calories of pixie sticks, you'd end up losing just under 1 lb./week (3,500 calories = 1 pound).

#137 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:03 PM

Anybody who tells you there's nothing wrong with over indulging in sugar and diet pop understands little about nutrition. But by all means, go for it.

Show me where I said that there's nothing wrong with "OVER INDULGING" (key term) in sugar/diet pop. I said that there's nothing inherently wrong with either. Would it be better if people instead drank only green tea, coffee, and water, and ate only tuna & broccoli? Sure, but that's not realistic. Personally, I'll easily drink 3 cans of Diet Coke per day, sometimes more, sometimes less.

#138 StevenStamkos

StevenStamkos

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:05 PM

I can assure you I'm not an idiot and I know what racism means
Didn't word that properly

What's gotten into you lately you're not the Caboose I got to be friends with, you're becoming the Caboose that I hated months ago.....

uh oh. cdc drama! time to phone dr.phil

Follow me on twitter! @RealStamkos91

#139 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

Most of this kid's videos are quite good, for anyone that wants to watch. Based on science, and not hippie-speak.

This video's for GLASSJAW and Deb, re: the "evils" of Diet Soda

Edited by King of the ES, 17 July 2012 - 01:13 PM.

#140 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,641 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:44 PM

So King....in all of this, do you consider nutritional value and things like caffeine, sodium, etc? Because generally, people interested in working out also want to take care of their bodies and make healthy food choices. So no hippy or scientific evidence required....just common sense.

You keep eating your snickers and diet pop and I'll have my tuna and water. My program works for me and maybe, yours for you? And the fruit thing wasn't to say "don't eat fruit"....I eat it daily. But some will think they can devour fruit all day long as a "diet food" but the increase in sugar can have some negative effects/results. Moderation in all things is my rule of thumb....and yes, even with diet soda.

But we're derailing and this isn't supposed to be a "I know more than you" thing. I'm offering some sensible advice and there really is no need for disputing it. To each his/her own....

Posted Image

#141 Patrick Kane

Patrick Kane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Assistant to Regional Manager
  • 14,185 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:48 PM

Because generally, people interested in working out also want to take care of their bodies and make healthy food choices.

Touché.

You will be missed.

#142 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:59 PM

So King....in all of this, do you consider nutritional value and things like caffeine, sodium, etc? Because generally, people interested in working out also want to take care of their bodies and make healthy food choices.

Wait, what's not healthy about caffeine? Caffeine is very good for you. Increases cognition, increases free fatty acids, has thermogenic properties and is an appetite suppressant. Black coffee is one of the very best things you can consume. Loaded with antioxidants. Zero calories.

Regarding sodium - it's a "forest for the trees" thing. If you're watching your calories, and if you're eating your macronutrients purposefully, you really don't need to worry about it. I know exactly how many calories I'm eating every day, and it's broken down by the amount of protein, carbs, and fat. If you have targets for those, and adhere to them, and also exercise consistently, sodium is a non-factor.

#143 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:00 PM

20% is training and 80% is taking care of the body

Eating is very important

3499h5x.jpg
Johnny Gaudreau>any Casucks

Edler, Markstrom, Hansen, 2nd round pick 2014 to Islanders for Ryan Strome, 5th overall pick 2014

This is fairly even as well.

#144 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:02 PM

Touché.

"Touche" to what? Deb keeps bringing up these things which I do not say!

Show me where I suggested that people shouldn't eat healthy. You won't be able to, just like you haven't been able to show proof for any of the other things that you've suggested I said, incorrectly.

#145 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:19 PM

Well, based on the compelling evidence which you've proposed above, I may need to alter my position! :picard:

Explain to me what's wrong with diet soda. There are 0 calories. Aspartame is a risk if you're drinking roughly 36 cans of pop/day. So, yes, if you're drinking 3 cases of Diet Coke daily, you may want to taper down. But the amount of aspartame in a single serving of Diet Coke is both microscopic and immaterial; and there's no reliable scientific evidence linking it to any long-term ill-effects. And no, some no-name's vegan blog on the internet does not qualify as scientific evidence, thank you.

RE: sugar. "Excess sugar intake" which Deb alludes to is in itself meaningless. The problem with sugar is that it's not satiating. So you can either eat a Snickers bar, or two cans of tuna (in water), both of which will amount to roughly the same amount of calories. The main difference is that one will make you full, and the other will just make you hungrier. Take a guess which is which.

So the problem with eating a lot of sugar, then, is that because it's not satiating, you end up still hungry, which leads you to eat more calories, to try and satisfy your hunger. And what does this lead to? FATNESS! If you're fat, it's because you've ate at a caloric surplus (relative to your age & weight), and nothing else. It is ONLY related to sugar in the sense that sugar can often lead to overeating. In the earlier example, the guy who ate a Snickers is clearly still hungry, whereas the guy who ate the two cans of tuna is in a protein-infused coma. So the guy who ate a Snickers bar will maybe then go make a PB&J sandwich and a small bag of chips. Calories now clock in at:

-Guy who ate tuna: 220 calories

-Guy who ate Snickers, then sandwich & chips: 1,000 calories (approximate)

And to figure out your maintenance caloric intake, multiply your bodyweight by 14 (not exact, but close enough). If you weigh 150 pounds, your maintenance caloric intake is probably somewhere around the 1,950 - 2,250 range. If you eat LESS than that, you lose weight; if you eat MORE than that, you gain weight. It's that simple. Like I said earlier, if your maintenance caloric intake is 1,950 calories, and all you ate all day was 1,500 calories of pixie sticks, you'd end up losing just under 1 lb./week (3,500 calories = 1 pound).

Well, it's still not healthy for you. It's processed garbage. It's made in a factory. There's nothing nutritional or beneficial coming from pop regardless of it's calorie or sugar content. It's going to make you feel like a piece of trash after a while, especially if you actually do work out or exercise. And you'll notice it pretty damn quick. And along with that, you wont see any results at the gym. Mike Cammallerri doesn't buy anything that comes in a box. Granted, not everything in a box is bad for you, but when you make the money he does, you can afford to buy whatever the hell you want organic wise. I'd say he's fairly credible given he's a professional athlete who has been here and done that and also learned from professionals in the process.
Posted Image

#146 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:44 PM

Well, it's still not healthy for you. It's processed garbage. It's made in a factory. There's nothing nutritional or beneficial coming from pop regardless of it's calorie or sugar content. It's going to make you feel like a piece of trash after a while, especially if you actually do work out or exercise. And you'll notice it pretty damn quick. And along with that, you wont see any results at the gym. Mike Cammallerri doesn't buy anything that comes in a box. Granted, not everything in a box is bad for you, but when you make the money he does, you can afford to buy whatever the hell you want organic wise. I'd say he's fairly credible given he's a professional athlete who has been here and done that and also learned from professionals in the process.

Where are you coming up with this stuff? A diet pop is going to negate any results from working out? :lol:

As for Cammalleri, he doesn't buy anything that comes in a box? What about things that come in a cylinder, like all of the BioSteel overpriced crap all over his Twitter feed? I guess whey protein/amino acids are somehow grown in his own garden, and not processed?

You're just flat-out wrong. It's too bad that people may actually listen to you, because you're just wrong.

Edited by King of the ES, 17 July 2012 - 06:45 PM.

#147 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

Define "healthy".

And practically everything is processed, BTW.

Where are you coming up with this stuff? A diet pop is going to negate any results from working out? :lol:

As for Cammalleri, he doesn't buy anything that comes in a box? What about things that come in a cylinder, like all of the BioSteel overpriced crap all over his Twitter feed? I guess whey protein/amino acids are somehow grown in his own garden, and not processed?

You're just flat-out wrong. It's too bad that people may actually listen to you, because you're just wrong.

Blah blah blah.

Whatever. I'm not going to argue this back and forth. Believe what you want. I don't need to prove anything because I know what the hell I'm doing and it works, so. Enjoy your pop, chips, chocolate bars, Mr.Olympia.
Posted Image

#148 Patrick Kane

Patrick Kane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Assistant to Regional Manager
  • 14,185 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:53 PM

King of ES, rather then having a dispute, could you answer one of my questions (srs)

I am bulking, and apparently a clean bulk is going over 500 calories your maintenance, and a dirty bulk is anything over.

So I could eat essentially what I wanted as long as I hit my macros?

You will be missed.

#149 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:05 PM

King of ES, rather then having a dispute, could you answer one of my questions (srs)

I am bulking, and apparently a clean bulk is going over 500 calories your maintenance, and a dirty bulk is anything over.

So I could eat essentially what I wanted as long as I hit my macros?

I'd eliminate "clean"/"dirty" from your vernacular, as it'll only serve to confuse.

How many times are you lifting weights per week? I'll assume 4. What you'll want to do, to minimize fat gain during the bulk, is cycle your calories so you're essentially consuming more when they're needed, and less when they're not. I'd suggest the following:

-WORKOUT DAY: Maintenance calories +20%
-REST DAY: Maintenance calories -20%

This will leave you with a very small caloric surplus at week's end, and this would minimize fat gain during the bulk, and you could basically keep bulking for however long it takes to reach your goal under this premise - slow is almost ALWAYS better, whether you're bulking or cutting (mostly for diet adherence purposes). If you find that you're not gaining weight fast enough, you could change the rest day calories to maintenance -10%, or even just maintenance.

As for eating essentially what you want as long as you hit your macros - basically, yes. Macro targets act as basically a hedge against binge eating. I frequently incorporate treats into my diet, like pizza, desserts, etc. The key is to work them around your macros. Now, it's obviously a lot healthier if your carb sources are sweet potatoes rather than candy corn, but it's typically a good thing (psychologically) to incorporate some of the latter into your diet.

The one thing that should be a constant is protein; 1 gram per lb. of bodyweight, every day. Carbs should be low on rest days, high on workout days. Fat should be low on workout days, high on rest days. Why low on workout days? Because you're eating at a caloric surplus, and that creates an environment for fat to be stored as fat. Conversely, with carbs, they're first used to replace glycogen (muscle), so they get favorable partitioning effects (stored as muscle rather than fat) when eaten AFTER a workout. Why is fat high on rest days? Because you're eating less overall calories, so it's ideal to eat satiating, fatty foods, which stick in your stomach longer and help with feeling full.

Edited by King of the ES, 17 July 2012 - 07:07 PM.

#150 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

Looks like I rambled a bit in the post above.

The short answer to your question on macros is yes. If you have targets that you've established and adhere to them, they act as a sort of "leash" on your diet. If you adhere to your macros, you can make room for whatever sort of junk you want. I know an amateur bodybuilder who's also big on cooking, and he makes all kinds of crazy macro-friendly desserts. There are recipes for those all over 'net. High protein cheesecakes, etc.

Now, are some sources of carbs better than others? Of course, but if you're only eating rice, potatoes, and veggies, and if you don't like those foods, you'll get sick of your diet pretty quickly, and probably have a binge episode or two. The best diet is the one that you can stick to. Having macro targets and adhering to them with whatever foods you want makes dieting a breeze. And learning to read labels, and documenting all of your food/calorie/macro intake, will actually be one of the most useful lifelong educations that you'll get.

Edited by King of the ES, 18 July 2012 - 12:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.