#151 I R Baboon

I R Baboon

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:45 AM

Man this workout is killer!

Is anyone else seeing a progress being made for what they are trying to accomplish?

I've already gained 3 pounds. 206-209

#152 BananaMash

BananaMash

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,055 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:58 PM

Tried this today, got to say after doing the Monday routine I know where my weaknesses are now. I'm an avid runner (10K daily) so I was really strong on the leg based exersizes, and because I only lift to maintain muscle, the arm ones were okay to so/so for my own personal standards.

Excellent routine PK. I don't know if I'll be following it strictly as I have my own routine that I like, but I will be including it for some variation!

Posted Image

#153 Patrick Kane

Patrick Kane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Assistant to Regional Manager
  • 14,155 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:00 PM

Props to King of ES showing the video of Ian McCarthy. One of my favorite YouTube fitness channels now.

You will be missed.

#154 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,089 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:20 AM

How the hell are you suppose to know the sugar content of an item if it doesn't say on the label?
Posted Image

#155 Patrick Kane

Patrick Kane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Assistant to Regional Manager
  • 14,155 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:35 AM

How the hell are you suppose to know the sugar content of an item if it doesn't say on the label?

Example?

There are some good places online you can use to check.

You will be missed.

#156 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,089 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:48 AM

BioX 3 carb protein shake.

It says sugar free. But then you look at the ingredients and it says sucralose (artificial sweetener. Still sugar, is it not?)
Posted Image

#157 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,089 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:10 PM

Blah. Actual running is tough on the legs even days after several sets of squats and leg presses. I never get that sore feeling. Rarely, anyway. But I tried jogging today and it felt like I was carrying cinder blocks. Legs felt heavy and beat. Gotta stick with the elliptical and stair master for now.
Posted Image

#158 Kujala

Kujala

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:54 AM

i got up at 6 this morning and i was jogging for 30 minutes

#159 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

Good job guys! Working out is really fun hey?

Oh and

Posted Image
:emot-parrot:

3499h5x.jpg
Johnny Gaudreau>any Casucks

Edler, Markstrom, Hansen, 2nd round pick 2014 to Islanders for Ryan Strome, 5th overall pick 2014

This is fairly even as well.

#160 Blömqvist

Blömqvist

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:14 AM

BioX 3 carb protein shake.

It says sugar free. But then you look at the ingredients and it says sucralose (artificial sweetener. Still sugar, is it not?)

IIRC sucralose is an artificial sweetener (as you said). It does not have any sugar and it doesn't have any calories. Scientists engineered it so that it does not get digested by the body.

PK I didn't know you were such an exercise buff!

Edited by Blömqvist, 27 July 2012 - 09:58 AM.

#161 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,089 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:20 PM

IIRC sucralose is an artificial sweetener (as you said). It does not have any sugar and it doesn't have any calories. Scientists engineered it so that it does not get digested by the body.

PK I didn't know you were such an exercise buff!

Ah, okay, ya. Thanks. I looked it up after anyway. I always thought it was sugar.
Posted Image

#162 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:29 PM

Sad news today guys... I can't continue with these workouts (or any for that matter) due to a fractured clavicle. I was also beginning to see my quads and calves begin to tone a bit more.

:( it was fun while it lasted.

Good luck to everyone still participating in the regimen, it's well worth it!

Edited by LeanBeaf, 30 July 2012 - 08:29 PM.

Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#163 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,089 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:40 PM

Anyone else ever seem to have issue warming up their legs? Or at least to the point where they feel warmed up?

And about milk. Reflex told me that milk isn't healthy to drink while cutting. Now either she meant milk as a whole or just 1%+. Because several BB articles suggest that skim milk is absolutely fine to drink since it has no fat content.

Always more questions than answers when it comes to this.
Posted Image

#164 Tony Romo

Tony Romo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,649 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:22 PM

I'm noticing a small differance actully
Posted Image Posted Image

Thanks to Raoul Duke for the Russell Wilson sig.

#165 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:47 PM

Reflex told me that milk isn't healthy to drink while cutting. Now either she meant milk as a whole or just 1%+. Because several BB articles suggest that skim milk is absolutely fine to drink since it has no fat content.

"Cutting" = you're trying to create a calorie deficit.

Milk is high in calories, and you generally should avoid DRINKING calories while cutting, because it's just too easy to down a bunch of them. Skim milk is the better choice, if you're on a cut, but the best choice is neither. It has nothing to do with it being "healthy" or not, it has to do with the fact that your calories should be coming from real food, which will keep you full longer (key component to cutting).

Stick to water, black coffee, tea, and any diet soda/energy drinks.

#166 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,089 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:04 PM

"Cutting" = you're trying to create a calorie deficit.

Milk is high in calories, and you generally should avoid DRINKING calories while cutting, because it's just too easy to down a bunch of them. Skim milk is the better choice, if you're on a cut, but the best choice is neither. It has nothing to do with it being "healthy" or not, it has to do with the fact that your calories should be coming from real food, which will keep you full longer (key component to cutting).

Stick to water, black coffee, tea, and any diet soda/energy drinks.

Right. But if you keep track of what you're doing then it really shouldn't be an issue. I've been off pretty much everything except regular ol' water and green tea for two months now. Adding milk here and there now. Change is typically good
Posted Image

#167 CanuckianOne

CanuckianOne

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:42 PM

Kinda off topic a bit...I've been trying to start doing squats, and I'm not feeling it in my abs. I am in my legs though...That normal?

g3HKFnX.png

#168 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,089 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:52 PM

Kinda off topic a bit...I've been trying to start doing squats, and I'm not feeling it in my abs. I am in my legs though...That normal?

If you're suppose to feel it in your abs then that's new to me. I've been doing them for a long time.
Posted Image

#169 CanuckianOne

CanuckianOne

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:08 PM

If you're suppose to feel it in your abs then that's new to me. I've been doing them for a long time.

Huh...Really? I thought they helped you lose some of that stomach fat. I figured I'd feel it in my abs

g3HKFnX.png

#170 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:10 PM

Huh...Really? I thought they helped you lose some of that stomach fat. I figured I'd feel it in my abs

You need to add weight.

I squat 300 lbs., and I feel it in my abs. "Air squats" don't accomplish much, not enough intensity (weight).

#171 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,565 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:28 AM

The answer to everything isn't "add weight" ES. He said he's "trying to start" doing squats. We've been through this before - the first thing is to encourage proper technique and let "beginners" leave the weight out of it (or at least light) until they do master the feel for things. Besides, this is the "bodyweight workout".

Squats use the abs as stabilizers Canuckian - keep doing them. But the key to getting rid of the body fat is the calorie deficit and that layer of fat over your abs needs to be burned off. You can strengthen abs but, if that body fat is there, they won't show because of it...you'll have strong abs under the fat. So focus on doing some cardio too and watching your diet to make sure you are getting rid of those calories.

The heavy weight guys will argue this but, especially as someone starting out (who may not be totally in tune with your body and it's limitations yet) - don't let your rear dip below your knees with a deep squat if it feels uncomfortable. I know that some of these weight guys will disagree but by going too low you do risk knee injury - especially if you're doing the exercise too quickly and it isn't a slow/controlled movement.

Also, breathe throughout the exercise - some people tend to hold their breath but it's best to incorporate that oxygen into things when you're beginning. People who have been at it awhile will hold their breath (valsalva maneuver) but people with hypertension, etc. can put themselves at risk doing it this way.

ES - throwing out "I squat XXXX" is irrelevant (and showy?) - he's a beginner and not you and this is what worries me. Don't give people "lift heavy/do heavy" advice without knowing their overall condition/health/previous injury history - it's wrong to do so. People are different which means adjustments are sometimes in order. And before you throw them into the deep end, you teach them how to swim first.

Posted Image

#172 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:18 AM

The answer to everything isn't "add weight" ES. He said he's "trying to start" doing squats. We've been through this before - the first thing is to encourage proper technique and let "beginners" leave the weight out of it (or at least light) until they do master the feel for things.

The answer to everything is not add weight, that is true, but it is the answer to the question of "why don't I feel anything in my abs when I'm squatting?"

He doesn't feel anything because he's not working hard enough. It's not difficult enough for him. His abs don't need to be used. There's not enough resistance.

And once again, you're speaking to me like I'm suggesting that form be sacrificed to add weight to the bar. That is BS, and that's not what I'm saying at all, so I'd ask, AGAIN, that you stop putting words in my mouth and/or speaking to me pre-judiciously.

The heavy weight guys will argue this but, especially as someone starting out (who may not be totally in tune with your body and it's limitations yet) - don't let your rear dip below your knees with a deep squat if it feels uncomfortable. I know that some of these weight guys will disagree but by going too low you do risk knee injury - especially if you're doing the exercise too quickly and it isn't a slow/controlled movement.

This is bad advice. You're telling me about the importance of form, above, and then you're telling people to squat with your butt above your knees?! That is both dangerous and downright unproductive. That "uncomfortable" feeling is called progress; what you're suggesting is not a squat. In general, if you're not struggling through whatever movement you're doing, you're not working hard enough, and you're not going to see results. Intensity needs to be high, if you really want to see changes in body composition.

I see people at the gym, all the time, doing things like this. They'll LOAD up the bar with weight, and then squat 45 degrees, ass above the knees, and be so impressed with themselves, when, really, they've done nothing.

Here's how to squat - plenty of other videos by Mark Rippetoe on YouTube. This is a quick one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qbBsn7IbPU

ES - throwing out "I squat XXXX" is irrelevant (and showy?) - he's a beginner and not you and this is what worries me. Don't give people "lift heavy/do heavy" advice without knowing their overall condition/health/previous injury history - it's wrong to do so. People are different which means adjustments are sometimes in order. And before you throw them into the deep end, you teach them how to swim first.

Look, as I said before, he's not feeling it in his abs because he's not working hard enough. He's not working hard enough because there's not enough resistance. It's that simple.

This fellow would be wise to get started on a program like Starting Strength. All I was doing was explaining to him why he wasn't feeling it in his abs, which was the question that he asked.

Edited by King of the ES, 22 August 2012 - 10:14 AM.

#173 The Situation

The Situation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:29 PM

You guys need to read up on what the glycemic index is.

When it comes to sugar, its about glycemic index. A ripe banana doesn't have a very high glycemic index because of the fibre content making it take longer to digest. By controlling your insulin spikes, you will be able to lose fat.
Posted Image

#174 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,089 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:56 PM

The answer to everything is not add weight, that is true, but it is the answer to the question of "why don't I feel anything in my abs when I'm squatting?"

He doesn't feel anything because he's not working hard enough. It's not difficult enough for him. His abs don't need to be used. There's not enough resistance.

And once again, you're speaking to me like I'm suggesting that form be sacrificed to add weight to the bar. That is BS, and that's not what I'm saying at all, so I'd ask, AGAIN, that you stop putting words in my mouth and/or speaking to me pre-judiciously.

This is bad advice. You're telling me about the importance of form, above, and then you're telling people to squat with your butt above your knees?! That is both dangerous and downright unproductive. That "uncomfortable" feeling is called progress; what you're suggesting is not a squat. In general, if you're not struggling through whatever movement you're doing, you're not working hard enough, and you're not going to see results. Intensity needs to be high, if you really want to see changes in body composition.

I see people at the gym, all the time, doing things like this. They'll LOAD up the bar with weight, and then squat 45 degrees, ass above the knees, and be so impressed with themselves, when, really, they've done nothing.

Here's how to squat - plenty of other videos by Mark Rippetoe on YouTube. This is a quick one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qbBsn7IbPU

Look, as I said before, he's not feeling it in his abs because he's not working hard enough. He's not working hard enough because there's not enough resistance. It's that simple.

This fellow would be wise to get started on a program like Starting Strength. All I was doing was explaining to him why he wasn't feeling it in his abs, which was the question that he asked.

No it's not LOL. You don't need to go ass to ground for an effective squat. It's simply a matter of preference. Both work well. And when I say both work well, I don't mean 45 degrees like you mentioned because half reps are obviously cheating. I've been doing 70, 80, and even 90 degrees for a long time and been making gains overall. A lot of people I know of have also. There was a guy at the gym last night squating 225 ass to ground. Good for him, I can do that easily, but I don't do it because I find it puts too much tension on your knees, etc. Again, both work well, both are simply what you prefer.
Posted Image

#175 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:23 PM

There was a guy at the gym last night squating 225 ass to ground. Good for him, I can do that easily, but I don't do it because I find it puts too much tension on your knees, etc. Again, both work well, both are simply what you prefer.

There is a correct way and an incorrect way to do it. If you find that squatting ATG puts too much tension on your knees, your form is probably completely off because that's just not true. If you're doing it properly, you'll feel it in your quads, your hips, and your core, not at all your knees. If you feel like your knees are going to "buckle" while squatting (something Deb had also alluded to), you're doing it totally wrong.

It's definitely not a matter of preference. You're getting a far better workout doing ATG, and you're actually doing it the far more safe way. It'll be more difficult at first, so start with a lighter weight to get the form down pat. Gradually add weight to the bar, over time, without ever sacrificing form. But don't completely alter the movement because of some pansy, BS excuse because you're trying to avoid effort required to do it correctly.

#176 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,089 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:32 PM

You guys need to read up on what the glycemic index is.

When it comes to sugar, its about glycemic index. A ripe banana doesn't have a very high glycemic index because of the fibre content making it take longer to digest. By controlling your insulin spikes, you will be able to lose fat.

Basically eating 'healthy', isn't it?

I had no knowledge of it so I did a quick search and got this:

The scientific evidence supporting the health benefits of a healthy low GI diet is overwhelming. We know from over 30 years of research from around the world that healthy low Glycemic Index diets:

- Lower your insulin levels which makes fat easier to burn and less likely to be stored.
- Help you to lose body fat and maintain lean muscle tissue.

Carbohydrate foods come mainly from plants - cereal grains, legumes, fruit and starchy vegetables. Some dairy foods like milk and yoghurt also contain carbohydrate. Common sources of carbohydrate include:
  • Bread
  • Breakfast cereals
  • Rice
  • Pasta
  • Noodles
  • Fruits and their juices such as apples, pears, oranges, plums, peaches and nectarines, berries and bananas
  • Starchy vegetables such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams, taro, sweet corn, parsnips, pumpkin and carrots
  • Legumes (pulses) such as beans, chickpeas, lentils and split peas
  • Dairy foods like milk, yoghurt, ice cream and their alternatives

But then I replace bread, rice, noodles with whole grain only, usually don't eat cereal and dairy is now skim or soy.
Posted Image

#177 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,089 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:48 PM

There is a correct way and an incorrect way to do it. If you find that squatting ATG puts too much tension on your knees, your form is probably completely off because that's just not true. If you're doing it properly, you'll feel it in your quads, your hips, and your core, not at all your knees. If you feel like your knees are going to "buckle" while squatting (something Deb had also alluded to), you're doing it totally wrong.

It's definitely not a matter of preference. You're getting a far better workout doing ATG, and you're actually doing it the far more safe way. It'll be more difficult at first, so start with a lighter weight to get the form down pat. Gradually add weight to the bar, over time, without ever sacrificing form. But don't completely alter the movement because of some pansy, BS excuse because you're trying to avoid effort required to do it correctly.

Well, I didn't get to where am I by squatting with poor form. I probably would have injured myself or got nowhere in the end. I obviously do feel 'it' in those areas as well, but I do feel it in my knees too. I think it's completely a matter of preference. I've seen a lot of people with a lot of credibility not put their ass to the ground while squatting. You're telling me that Gary Roberts and Cammalleri are doing it wrong? I'd like to see their expression after you told them that.

So, apparently, this is wrong? I've been doing this from day one, just like some professionals. Simply because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it's wrong.

Posted Image

#178 canucks#01fan

canucks#01fan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:57 PM

ya ive been squating like the above video shows and had the same results in terms of both size and strength as my twin brother (identical) who likes doing ATG, so ya its just preference
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for avatar

#179 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,565 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:39 AM

ES, to address this:

"This is bad advice. You're telling me about the importance of form, above, and then you're telling people to squat with your butt above your knees?! That is both dangerous and downright unproductive. That "uncomfortable" feeling is called progress."

1. I did not say squat with your butt above your knees:

don't let your rear dip below your knees with a deep squat if it feels uncomfortable. I know that some of these weight guys will disagree but by going too low you do risk knee injury - especially if you're doing the exercise too quickly and it isn't a slow/controlled movement.

If you're feeling discomfort in the knees during a squat - that isn't "progress"....progress is feeling it in your quads, gluts, hamstrings. But I'm not here to argue, as PK clearly has indicated that this isn't about "proving" anything...it's to share progress and motivate one another.

Sure, not everyone who does a deep squat beyond 90° will get injured in doing so...but it can put people at risk who don't maintain proper form and so it's unnecessary to go any lower. To suggest it does nothing is absolute hogwash.

Again - this will be my last counterpoint as we want to keep this thread with a positive vs negative direction. :)

Posted Image

#180 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:30 PM

Anyone here got any good exercises for the traps? I am nearly fully healed from my fractured clavicle and was advised to work on my traps to stabilize the muscles around my back.
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.