#181 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:29 AM

shoulder lifts?

on an aside too, does anyone roll out their muscles? when's the best time to roll out? i've done it days after muscles are already sore and the pain is nuts
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#182 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:44 AM

shoulder lifts?

on an aside too, does anyone roll out their muscles? when's the best time to roll out? i've done it days after muscles are already sore and the pain is nuts

What is rolling out muscles? Stretching?
Posted Image

#183 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,139 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:12 AM

Using foam rollers or the rolling stick(not sure what its exact name is but I use it all the time) to roll out sore muscles.

It hurts like hell if you're really sore but it feels much better afterwards.
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#184 Zach Parise

Zach Parise

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,390 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:27 AM

lost almost 30 Ibs over the last 5 months !

In January of this year i weighed 210 !

and right now , I am really Happy to be weighing 184 Ibs !

First 3 months of this year I did p90x program and wow I lost 20 Ibs off it , then after that, started going to the gym and going for runs in the morning. I feel soo healthy now, Even ask PK of my before and After Pics , he knows :)

#185 لني

لني

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:20 PM

shoulder lifts?

I use foam rollers and foam balls. You can roll out any time.

The roller is essentially self massage so you can do it right after an exercise, the next day, and days later.

I use it to stretch out before i play hockey and (knock on wood) ive had no muscle pulls. Its a dynamic form of stretching.
Sent from my iPhone Canucks App

View Postnhlconspiracy, on 21 April 2011 - 02:05 PM, said:

It is not my intent to get in circular arguments with anybody. The reason i have avoided saying anything specific is because i know you or someone else will attempt to find an alternate explanation to my points which i intern will have to defend. I see no point in getting involved with the circular argument that is already well under way in this thread. I simply intended to voice my opinion on the subject. In the end either you accept the possibility of corruption and conspiracy or you don't.

Also i find your comments to be very childish. Does taking what i say out of context, paraphrasing and misquoting it make you feel good about yourself? Grow up.

Logic at its finest.

#186 لني

لني

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:30 PM

Its like dynamic stretching. The roller massages and puts pressure on your soft tissue as you move you body part along the roller.

The idea is that it releases the myofacial tissue. The tight less flexible connective tissue "skin" that connects your tendons etc to muscle and keep your muscle intact.

You will see myofacial tissue on beef and its usually referred to as "silver skin". Its the thin shiny tough tissue you may see on your steaks. Not to be confused with gristle.

The theory is that myofacial tissue (mft) connects your whole body from head to toe.

This tissue like any other tissue can be damaged and scar. This damage and scarring causes it to become inflexible. The inflexibility lead to your muscles not being able to have full range of motion which means you body part does not have full range of motion.

Injuries happen when your movement force exceeds the range of motion which can further damage the mft.

The idea is that using rollers etc "stretches" and releases the tightness of the mft. This i theory should increase the range of motion and in turn reduce the chance of injury.

The rollers can be had cheap and they are worthwhile.

You can also use them for other exercises like off balance lifts to help work your stabilizing muscles.

It is not my intent to get in circular arguments with anybody. The reason i have avoided saying anything specific is because i know you or someone else will attempt to find an alternate explanation to my points which i intern will have to defend. I see no point in getting involved with the circular argument that is already well under way in this thread. I simply intended to voice my opinion on the subject. In the end either you accept the possibility of corruption and conspiracy or you don't.

Also i find your comments to be very childish. Does taking what i say out of context, paraphrasing and misquoting it make you feel good about yourself? Grow up.

Logic at its finest.

#187 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:03 AM

lost almost 30 Ibs over the last 5 months !

In January of this year i weighed 210 !

and right now , I am really Happy to be weighing 184 Ibs !

First 3 months of this year I did p90x program and wow I lost 20 Ibs off it , then after that, started going to the gym and going for runs in the morning. I feel soo healthy now, Even ask PK of my before and After Pics , he knows :)

Much the same; 25lbs. About 205, probably a little over, down to about 180. Except without p90x. Just ate less and incorporated more cardio.

It however did not have the desired result. So I will not attempt a weight cut again until I have a work out partner who has successfully done this.
Posted Image

#188 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:11 AM

Its like dynamic stretching. The roller massages and puts pressure on your soft tissue as you move you body part along the roller.

The idea is that it releases the myofacial tissue. The tight less flexible connective tissue "skin" that connects your tendons etc to muscle and keep your muscle intact.

You will see myofacial tissue on beef and its usually referred to as "silver skin". Its the thin shiny tough tissue you may see on your steaks. Not to be confused with gristle.

The theory is that myofacial tissue (mft) connects your whole body from head to toe.

This tissue like any other tissue can be damaged and scar. This damage and scarring causes it to become inflexible. The inflexibility lead to your muscles not being able to have full range of motion which means you body part does not have full range of motion.

Injuries happen when your movement force exceeds the range of motion which can further damage the mft.

The idea is that using rollers etc "stretches" and releases the tightness of the mft. This i theory should increase the range of motion and in turn reduce the chance of injury.

You can also use them for other exercises like off balance lifts to help work your stabilizing muscles.

Well, I guess this doesn't apply to me then.

Obviously everyone is different. But I am rarely sore. Like tonight for example, cranked out a boat load of chest and bicep exercises and I don't feel sore at all but just to the point of fatigue where I couldn't lift as many reps or as heavy had my muscles been fully recovered. I have been feeling it in my legs lately however since incorporating sprints after weights a few times a week.
Posted Image

#189 لني

لني

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:25 AM

Well, I guess this doesn't apply to me then.

Obviously everyone is different. But I am rarely sore. Like tonight for example, cranked out a boat load of chest and bicep exercises and I don't feel sore at all but just to the point of fatigue where I couldn't lift as many reps or as heavy had my muscles been fully recovered. I have been feeling it in my legs lately however since incorporating sprints after weights a few times a week.

Its probably beneficial to all however moreso for those suffering from injury and those who play dynamic sports ie hockey, football etc as opposed to jogging or running.

Logic at its finest.

#190 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:36 AM

Heh. Always good to remember why I'm rolling out when I'm in excruciating pain.
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#191 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:40 PM

Question, what's a healthy weight to aim for if I'm 5'9" tall and somewhere between Ectomorph and Mesomorph in terms of body type? (I'm at about 136 right now)

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#192 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,139 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:47 PM

Anyone have any good routines for the traps? Here's mine, and I'm barely seeing any progress

Front Barbell Shrugs 8-12 reps
Back Barbell Shrugs 8-12 reps
Band Trap Row 10-15 reps
Barbell Upright Row 8-12 reps
Dumbbell Shrugs 8-12 reps
All in 3 sets

I usually do this after Shoulders,Core, or Chest, and my traps are super tiny (even after focusing on them for rehabilitation exercises)

Can anyone help me figure out how to make my routine more effective?

Thanks

Edited by LeanBeaf, 12 November 2012 - 11:14 AM.

Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#193 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:43 PM

4 sets of Heavy Barbell shrugs. Heavy, so you should only get 6 to 8 reps.
4 sets of Upright Rows, 8 to 10 reps.

You don't need 15 sets for traps. Over training won't make you grow.

Edited by WHL rocks, 30 October 2012 - 09:46 PM.

#194 PowerIce

PowerIce

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:42 AM

I've gained 14 pounds since the beginning of Sept :) Up to 164. I use to have so much trouble getting out of the 148-153 range, until I started eating proper foods (lot's of potatoes & perogies). I also incorporated Serious Mass weight gainer & Gold Standand Whey Protein into my diet, I'll probably stop using Serious Mass (after I run out) now that I gained weight, and just stick to the protein.

But it is possible for those skeptics in that weight range :) I didn't even hit the gym much, but working 12 hours a day in Northern Alberta really did the trick.

I'm trying out Steve Cook's 12-week workout program on bodybuilding.com slightly modified for my home gym. Does anyone follow workout programs on BB?

2013 CDC Poker, it's coming soon to a forum near you!

Posted Image

#195 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,139 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

4 sets of Heavy Barbell shrugs. Heavy, so you should only get 6 to 8 reps.
4 sets of Upright Rows, 8 to 10 reps.

You don't need 15 sets for traps. Over training won't make you grow.

A trainer told me 15 reps of fairly light weight works well, as it's muscle hypertrophy.
Sig too big.
-Milan Lucic

#196 frazzY

frazzY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:39 PM

Nice thread, i havent been to the gym in over a year. I want to burn fat while gaining mass and i really like this body weight exercise plan as a kickstart before i start going to the gym fully.

Im assuming you incorporate the p90x ab ripper with the 3 day plan, or do u recommend on the off days?

Nice thorough description and good videos! Id plus one ya if i wasnt on my phone.

Im currently 5'9" and 215, im pretty stocky though, i want to lose at least 40 lbs.

#197 KoreanHockeyFan

KoreanHockeyFan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,472 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:59 PM

Hey guys,

Well, after sitting infront of my desk studying/gaming for an entire semester, I've gained a noticeable amount of weight and I'm going to start working out after this semester ends, any ideas on workouts that burn fat? I'll be able to go to the UBC gym right after class 3 days a week, so I was wondering what kind of exercises I should be doing in there. Or how much cardio and when I should be doing it.

I'm not looking to build muscle at the moment, I'm just trying to burn fat and lose weight although toning up my body and losing fat simultaneously would definitely be a plus. Any ideas would be great! Thanks!

Oh and just a quick (extremely noob) question, does lifting weights and doing exercises (like push-ups/ab crunches) actually burn fat, or do they only build muscle? What's the difference between low and high reps for exercises and how much should I be doing to reach my objective.

And finally, what do you guys do to force yourselves to constantly workout (motivation)?

Thanks again.

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan, 26 November 2012 - 12:03 AM.

#198 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:35 AM

if you're looking to lose weight, i'd more focus on reducing your stress and examining your caloric intake (eating/drinking habits)

alcohol = carbs = sugar = calories.

doing some cardio 3-5 times a week would be good. gym cardio (treadmill, bike, elliptical) seems to result in more weight loss than swimming. read that it's because your body temp is lowered after swimming so you're hungry afterwards as opposed to the opposite with non-water cardio. *shrug*

on a cautionary note: i'd be hesitant to start up with weights and exercises targeting specific muscle groups if you have any pre-existing body/back pain. physio may have to break down existing muscle threads, realign you and then let you rebuild muscle again.

having a workout buddy (perhaps even a girl) helps with the motivation.

#199 KoreanHockeyFan

KoreanHockeyFan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,472 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:27 AM

if you're looking to lose weight, i'd more focus on reducing your stress and examining your caloric intake (eating/drinking habits)

alcohol = carbs = sugar = calories.

doing some cardio 3-5 times a week would be good. gym cardio (treadmill, bike, elliptical) seems to result in more weight loss than swimming. read that it's because your body temp is lowered after swimming so you're hungry afterwards as opposed to the opposite with non-water cardio. *shrug*

on a cautionary note: i'd be hesitant to start up with weights and exercises targeting specific muscle groups if you have any pre-existing body/back pain. physio may have to break down existing muscle threads, realign you and then let you rebuild muscle again.

having a workout buddy (perhaps even a girl) helps with the motivation.

Hmm...I might as well lift some weights and do some core workouts (core can be worked out almost every day right?) at the same time. Should I be doing my cardio workout before or after weights though?

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan, 27 November 2012 - 01:27 AM.

#200 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:45 AM

Hmm...I might as well lift some weights and do some core workouts (core can be worked out almost every day right?) at the same time. Should I be doing my cardio workout before or after weights though?

my routine usually involves stretch, gym cardio, weights, then swim. a sandwiching of weights in between cardio but not for any health reason.. just so that i only have to shower once and the end of it all. lol.

you're going to work out your core every day? you ARE motivated. sure. ease into it though and don't overdo it.

#201 frazzY

frazzY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:15 AM

I could be wrong, but im pretty sure any muscle group needs time to repair. You can push your core harder probably. But u should always give a muscle group somewhat of a break.

#202 KoreanHockeyFan

KoreanHockeyFan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,472 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

I could be wrong, but im pretty sure any muscle group needs time to repair. You can push your core harder probably. But u should always give a muscle group somewhat of a break.

Yeah that's what I thought too, but I heard your abdominal muscles are the most tolerant and can be worked on quite a bit. I guess I did learn something from weight training in high school!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.