The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo or McLean?

Spoderman

249 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Wow, does that ever anger me. I have been a Lu supporter, but if he's classifying himself as an 'American', then get him out of here. I know it has nothing to do with hockey, but in my opinion, there's nothing worse than bailing on your country and I can not and will not root for him if he's choosing to be an American.

Luongo has better stats but he has played with way stronger teams in front of him than McLean had. Luongo has also had the benefit of playing in an era with way less goal scoring.

I voted McLean because he was far more influential in the games of the '94 cup run than Luongo was in his run at the cup in '11.

Roberto Luongo, no question. It pains me to read all the garbage that people on here spew towards him. The disrespect...

He's the all time leader among Canucks goalies in wins and shutouts and he has a Cup final run to equal McLean's. He's also the all time leader in GAA and Save % with a career 2.35 GAA and .920 Save % as a Canuck (Schneider is actually ahead of him with a 2.24 GAA and .928 Save% but has only played 68 games so he doesn't count). Lastly, he received award nominations that, to my knowledge, McLean never received. During Luongo's tenure as a Canuck, he was nominated twice for the Vezina trophy, nominated once for the Hart trophy - for which goalies are almost never nominated - and also won a Jennings trophy.

I'm starting to really wish that the guy won a Cup with this team. He deserved one. He was definitely imperfect in the playoffs, that can't be argued, but I think he was much better than some people would suggest. He just happened to suffer some awful meltdowns at key points but in the big picture he was solid in the playoffs with a career 2.53 GAA and .916 Save % . You guys want to talk playoff choker? How about Dan Cloutier and his career 3.31 GAA and .872 Save %?

Anyway, enough numbers. The fact of the matter is Luongo and McLean are the consensus 2 best goalies in Canucks history but Luongo is THE best. He has the numbers and accomplishments to back it up. Gonna miss the guy tremendously.

Roberto Luongo, no question. It pains me to read all the garbage that people on here spew towards him. The disrespect...

He's the all time leader among Canucks goalies in wins and shutouts and he has a Cup final run to equal McLean's. He's also the all time leader in GAA and Save % with a career 2.35 GAA and .920 Save % as a Canuck (Schneider is actually ahead of him with a 2.24 GAA and .928 Save% but has only played 68 games so he doesn't count). Lastly, he received award nominations that, to my knowledge, McLean never received. During Luongo's tenure as a Canuck, he was nominated twice for the Vezina trophy, nominated once for the Hart trophy - for which goalies are almost never nominated - and also won a Jennings trophy.

I'm starting to really wish that the guy won a Cup with this team. He deserved one. He was definitely imperfect in the playoffs, that can't be argued, but I think he was much better than some people would suggest. He just happened to suffer some awful meltdowns at key points but in the big picture he was solid in the playoffs with a career 2.53 GAA and .916 Save % . You guys want to talk playoff choker? How about Dan Cloutier and his career 3.31 GAA and .872 Save %?

Anyway, enough numbers. The fact of the matter is Luongo and McLean are the consensus 2 best goalies in Canucks history but Luongo is THE best. He has the numbers and accomplishments to back it up. Gonna miss the guy tremendously.

This is a tough one. McLean was why I started watching the Canucks in the first place back in the early 90's. But Luongo has done so much more and been so much more fun to watch and has done so much better. The yapping would have been the same towards McLeanback in the day, if everyone had been given a chance to write down their expert opinions on CDC and complained about his games.

But I have to say Luongo, no McLean...

I absolutely love Luongo and wish him all the best wherever he goes, but I may just have to give it to McLean by a sliver, which takes me by surprise even.

A lot of people are saying that statistically Luongo's the better goaltender, but it's nearly impossible to compare modern numbers with those from the early 90's. Secondly, McLean played on some terrible Canucks teams. While they had some great seasons in the early 90's, none of them came close to the Presidents' Trophy-winning calibre Luongo has played behind the past two years. When McLean did have a team comparable in success to the current Canucks in front of him (ie. the 1994 playoffs), his numbers are comparable to Luongo's best regular seasons and blow his playoff numbers out of the water: 2.29 GAA, .928 save percentage. Lu gave us some great goaltending when we went to the SCF, but as far as 2011 vs. 1994 goes, McLean was consistently great.

I think most of all though, many people don't remember McLean as a world class goaltender in the same way that Luongo is considered, at times, to be today. Someone a few posts up mentioned that Luongo "received award nominations that McLean never did." I think many would be surprised to find out that McLean received two Vezina nominations as a Canuck (1989 and 1992), which equals Luongo's total. Lu has a Hart nomination, but McLean played in an era where two of the three annual nominees were automatically Gretzky or Lemieux.

Anyways, like I said, even I'm surprised to say McLean was the better goalie. I have no issue with people thinking it was Luongo, cause it's just that close.

Guest gumballthechewy

Luongo's the better goalie by far, but I vote for McLean because of the fond memorys of '94, plus I hate Luongo.

Archived