Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Luongo or McLean?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
100 replies to this topic

Poll: Luongo or McLean? (249 member(s) have cast votes)

Who was the greatest in Canucks History?

1. Roberto Luongo (208 votes [83.53%])

Percentage of vote: 83.53%

2. Kirk McLean (41 votes [16.47%])

Percentage of vote: 16.47%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#91 Airjasper

Airjasper

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:50 AM

Pure skill and talent this is a no brainer. If the poll was "who is your favorite all time canuck goalie" then I could see voting for Mclean...But Luongo is one of the best goalies in the world and definitely the best goalie Vancouver has ever had in net. Haha, and everyone runs that guy out of town. Classic.

How can you say Mclean was a better goalie just based on 1 run? Look at the team records, look at stats, look at who was starting goalie for Team Canada and brought home a gold...

Edited by Airjasper, 10 July 2012 - 11:52 AM.

#92 derr12

derr12

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:12 PM

Bobby lou. Likely will be the best goalie in canucks history for at least the next 10 years. Scneids has som big skates to fill (I think he has it in him tho)

#93 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:20 PM

Pure skill and talent this is a no brainer. If the poll was "who is your favorite all time canuck goalie" then I could see voting for Mclean...But Luongo is one of the best goalies in the world and definitely the best goalie Vancouver has ever had in net. Haha, and everyone runs that guy out of town. Classic.

How can you say Mclean was a better goalie just based on 1 run? Look at the team records, look at stats, look at who was starting goalie for Team Canada and brought home a gold...

Read my post on the page before, that's how.

#94 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70,035 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

Luongo winning by a landslide.

307mg00.jpg

#95 CanuckFan1981

CanuckFan1981

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:53 PM

Thats hard to say. Both played a different style. Lui plays a butterfly , while McLean plays a more stand up.

Mind you Lui never played on a crap team like Mclean had when he first came to Vancouver either.

Pretty sure Lui was the only reason we made the playoffs in his first year here. Remember winning/ losing 1-0 or 2-1 every single game that year? 06 -07 i think. Difference is Lui made them a playoff team. Captain Kirk was good but not that good. He never took bad teams on his shoulders to the promised land. He was more level headed and maybe a bit more consistent. I seem to recall being satasfied with him but wishing we had a top 5 goalie instead (Brodeur, Joseph, Belfour etc...). Lui is in that equivilent group in his era. Lui hands down the best goalie we ever had (maybe if Richard Brodeur played more than 1 good season he could claim it).

#96 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:54 PM

Luongo winning by a landslide.

Ya, I think Lui has got this one.
Posted Image

#97 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

I'm going 180 on this....

McLean was the reason the Canucks had a Cinderella run. The Canucks were the underdogs and he tool them to a one goal loss in game 7. Lou has had a stacked team in Vancouver and has overinflated stats because of it, the cup was his to loose last year and he lost it.

Lou is overrated (as voted by the league) and McLean was underrated. He has just as many vesna nominations as Lou and Lou has played for a far superior team. You can't look at stats the same way as the game was much more wide open then (pre trap) and McLean was playing the likes of Gretzky. Anyone who thinks McLean was overrated is too young to have seen him play or to ignorant to recall the past. McLean was also a great off ice roll model and "played for the fans" and Lou said himself he doesn't.

I'm not going purely by stats (though I'd like to point out that McLean played part of his career in the trap era), I'm going by the fact Luongo has been a very dominant goalie in the league for the majority of his career (he has 3 Vezina nominations actually, 1 more than Kirk, as well as a Hart nomination). Not to mention that despite playing on 'stacked teams', he has as many Canucks MVP awards as Kirk in less seasons, and 1 more Molson Cup.

@ the emboldened part...that's what I mean. I think his public image elevated him more in the minds of the fans, and that's what I mean when I say he was a little overrated, in the same way Trevor Linden is *FLAME SHIELD ACTIVATED*

Edited by Witchcraft and Sedinery, 10 July 2012 - 01:21 PM.

Posted Image

#98 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:51 PM

Both got their team to game 7 of the finals but Luongo holds all the goaltending records for this team and has spent alot less time here than McLean did, Luongo is the best goalie this team has ever seen hands down.

Edited by TowelPower12, 10 July 2012 - 01:51 PM.

#99 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:34 PM

Both got their team to game 7 of the finals but Luongo holds all the goaltending records for this team and has spent alot less time here than McLean did, Luongo is the best goalie this team has ever seen hands down.

Lou played for a better team in a lower scoring era.... McLean hands down.

#100 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:46 PM

i've seen your other posts about Luongo, you would probably try and make the argument that Cloutier is better than he is. Luongo is the best goalie this team has ever had no matter how much you don't liek him, get over it. People hate Crosby but that doesn't take away the fact that he's the best player in the NHL

Edited by TowelPower12, 10 July 2012 - 04:48 PM.

#101 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:51 PM

@ the emboldened part...that's what I mean. I think his public image elevated him more in the minds of the fans, and that's what I mean when I say he was a little overrated, in the same way Trevor Linden is *FLAME SHIELD ACTIVATED*

this

Linden is hailed as the "greatest canuck ever" but like you said it's mainly his public image and what he did off the ice, we've definitely had way better players than Linden, just like Luongo is a better goalie than McLean

Edited by TowelPower12, 10 July 2012 - 04:52 PM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.