Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

iPhone 5, Window 8 (Nokia) or Android Jelly Bean (Galaxy Nexus)

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 DefCon1

DefCon1

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,403 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:31 PM

Which one do you guys think would be the best phone to get, since I will be upgrading my phone?

Am picking between iPhone 5 (iOS 6), Nokia Lumia (Windows 8) and Galaxy Nexus/Samsung Galaxy S3 (Android 4.1 Jelly Bean).

I really like Android since my current phone is an Android and Jelly bean 4.1 has one of the best voice searches in the market (yes, better than SIRI). Windows 8 has the best offline navigation/GPS with Nokia maps which covers a lot of countries. iPhone 5 is yet to be seen but they might also have a bunch of improvements and it could be a great phone.

Right now, I think Android is beating Apple in terms of making quick improvements to their OS (such as Voice search on Jelly Bean, offline mode for google maps and addition of google chrome browser, google wallet, S-Beam etc. ) Which one do you guys think would be the next best phone on the market once iPhone 5 is released?

Edited by DefCon1, 08 July 2012 - 02:32 PM.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

QUOTE (Rye and Kesler @ Jun 29 2009, 10:24 PM) Where is Celebrities? I am tryin to find it on Club vibes but i can't find it. Is it relatively new? Sounds good though we will have to check it out.

I think Germany is the exception because they should know how to use their own balls.

QUOTE (pacecar @ Aug 2 2009, 11:53 AM) Sheep are ok but horses, ewww.

Posted Image

#2 EDLER.IS.BEAST

EDLER.IS.BEAST

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:33 PM

I`d say go with either the Nexus or S3, the Samsung Galaxy phones are awesome

#3 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:34 PM

Iphone, I have the Iphone 4. And just the 4 not the 4S, and its' really good, I love it.

The IPhone 5 will be so much better. I'm excited to see what it will be like. Should be a sick phone.

zackass.png

#4 cadillaccts

cadillaccts

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:38 PM

Just wait for the iPhone 10 that will inevitably be out within the next 24 months or so....

#5 Rhinogator

Rhinogator

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:40 PM

S3 is hands down. Don't fall for apple's marketing shenanigans.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:41 PM

S3. There is literally nothing better. Big screen, quad core...I would go S3. I'm upgrading my iPhone 4 to S3 this fall.

#7 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:44 PM

I've got an iPhone 4. It's a good, solid phone, love it. But I am so psyched about the Windows Phones. I'd love to try one out, they seem so friggen awesome! I live in Sweden, so we're like a decade after you Americans and whatnots...

#8 Nathan MacKinnon

Nathan MacKinnon

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,242 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

Get the Nexus or S3

+1 this post!

Posted Image

Credit to Intoewsables :wub: :wub: :wub:

Formerly known as UMADBRO?

Luongo Supporter. Does not deserve any of this BS

#9 thelastguy

thelastguy

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:46 PM

Go with the Gnex or the S3

#10 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

S3. There is literally nothing better. Big screen, quad core...I would go S3. I'm upgrading my iPhone 4 to S3 this fall.

Yeah, four CPUs is what I've always wanted! I mean checking Facebook is hard stuff!

#11 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:52 PM

Yeah, four CPUs is what I've always wanted! I mean checking Facebook is hard stuff!

Makes it faster. Its like 3 times faster than an iphone 4. Not to mention 4x more ram.

#12 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

Makes it faster. Its like 3 times faster than an iphone 4. Not to mention 4x more ram.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

#13 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:58 PM

YOU DO NOT NEED FOUR PROCESSOR-CORES!!!! THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL THAT YOU'RE GOING TO BE ABLE TO USE IT ALL!!! SERIOUSLY!! I MEAN COME ON!

#14 Nathan MacKinnon

Nathan MacKinnon

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,242 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:06 PM

Calm down bro hes just stating a fact. Don't need to be butthurt because Android pwns all

Edited by UMADBRO?, 08 July 2012 - 03:07 PM.

+1 this post!

Posted Image

Credit to Intoewsables :wub: :wub: :wub:

Formerly known as UMADBRO?

Luongo Supporter. Does not deserve any of this BS

#15 canuck73_3

canuck73_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,600 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

Quad Core is only for the US since it does not work on the LTE network.

credit to canuckforever00 for the sig :)

RIP Luc Bourdon

#16 DefCon1

DefCon1

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,403 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:25 PM

I think right now I am close to picking Galaxy Nexus (since it is the Android's reference phone with updates coming directly from Google not Samsung) and also its a good Samsung phone. I think in terms of software, Android is at the cutting edge right now, ahead of Apple. I want to wait and see how the iPhone 5 will be (in terms of software and specs etc.) but am definitely leaning towards Android especially since I have an Android right now and I've been happy with it.

Here is the comparison of Jelly Bean's voice search vs. iPhone 4S Siri:

Obviously iPhone 5 will probably have an improved Siri, faster processor, etc. but I have been really impressed with how quickly Android tries to improve it's OS.

Posted Image

QUOTE (Rye and Kesler @ Jun 29 2009, 10:24 PM) Where is Celebrities? I am tryin to find it on Club vibes but i can't find it. Is it relatively new? Sounds good though we will have to check it out.

I think Germany is the exception because they should know how to use their own balls.

Posted Image

#17 nivlek604

nivlek604

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:09 PM

s3 hands down.

the galaxy nexus is a good phone too. i've owned an iphone4s but i sold it because the galaxy nexus is litterally the best phone i have ever owned.

#18 RiCHC3

RiCHC3

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:18 PM

If you're contracting you ALWAYS go iPhone because it retains its value over time and has high resale value. Hell, even contracting into an iPhone, flipping it, and buying an Android device outright, you'll still pocket some money.

In terms of OS vs OS.
I don't even consider iOS as an operating system, iPhone is really just a bunch of apps (albeit, the best quality apps you can get).
Android if you love to customize or are in the minority of users that want to use advanced apps (ie: app that sends texts to your Google Chrome browser so you can text / respond from your computer).
I'd skip WP8 for now until it picks up steam. They really just f'ed over their entire early adopters by not allowing them to upgrade the OS, even for devices released weeks ago.

#19 PlayStation

PlayStation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,245 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:25 PM

Iphone, I have the Iphone 4. And just the 4 not the 4S, and its' really good, I love it.

The IPhone 5 will be so much better. I'm excited to see what it will be like. Should be a sick phone.

Theres 3 pictures of possibly leaks of the iPhone 5 here.
http://iphonerelease...or-roundup.html

I'm on mobile so I cant post the pictures, so if anyone can that would be nice!
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#20 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

Theres 3 pictures of possibly leaks of the iPhone 5 here.
http://iphonerelease...or-roundup.html

I'm on mobile so I cant post the pictures, so if anyone can that would be nice!

It looks nice, everyone is talking about this S3 but I don't know much about it, I would stick with the iPhone.

zackass.png

#21 PlayStation

PlayStation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,245 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:39 PM

It looks nice, everyone is talking about this S3 but I don't know much about it, I would stick with the iPhone.

Yeah I'm the same, but I'll have to look into the S3 now, dont know anything about it, but I wont be able to leave Apple, just way too easy to use and it connects with my other apple devices.

Edit: Oh this is the S3... It looks like crap!

Edited by PlayStation, 08 July 2012 - 04:45 PM.

Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#22 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,975 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

Blackberry.

Best phones on the market.

Don't bother trying to tell me otherwise I have a gun.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#23 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:01 PM

Actually, funny story.

Went to Telus today and actually picked up a Samsung Galaxy S3, switching from iPhone 4. Things I already noticed are the speed difference and the amount of memory it has. Just crazy. Multitasking is pretty dang good and everything seems fluid (switching menus, etc). Seems great so far.

Don't even bother with a Blackberry. RIM is going bankrupt because their OS absolutely BLOWS.

#24 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:09 PM

iPhone , had it since the original.

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#25 DefCon1

DefCon1

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,403 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:17 PM

If you're contracting you ALWAYS go iPhone because it retains its value over time and has high resale value. Hell, even contracting into an iPhone, flipping it, and buying an Android device outright, you'll still pocket some money.

In terms of OS vs OS.
I don't even consider iOS as an operating system, iPhone is really just a bunch of apps (albeit, the best quality apps you can get).
Android if you love to customize or are in the minority of users that want to use advanced apps (ie: app that sends texts to your Google Chrome browser so you can text / respond from your computer).
I'd skip WP8 for now until it picks up steam. They really just f'ed over their entire early adopters by not allowing them to upgrade the OS, even for devices released weeks ago.

I actually never buy a phone as an investment, since they all depreciate in value and I wouldn't care about the resale value. I only care about functionality and features that would be most useful to me. I also want something that would last a while, so resale value isn't really a factor for me in buying a phone. Plus the iPhone right now is more expensive than a Galaxy Nexus by a good couple of hundred dollars. I also rather buy an unlocked phone right now than be locked into a contract that ends up costing me more for the phone.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#26 DefCon1

DefCon1

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,403 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

iPhone , had it since the original.

But you never had an Android or a windows phone, so how can you compare? lol!

Edited by DefCon1, 08 July 2012 - 07:18 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#27 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,330 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:20 PM

Definitely go with the S3. My sister picked it up first day it came out and I was mad jelly.

Edited by playboi19, 08 July 2012 - 07:20 PM.

Subbancopy.jpg

#28 DefCon1

DefCon1

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,403 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

Actually, funny story.

Went to Telus today and actually picked up a Samsung Galaxy S3, switching from iPhone 4. Things I already noticed are the speed difference and the amount of memory it has. Just crazy. Multitasking is pretty dang good and everything seems fluid (switching menus, etc). Seems great so far.

Don't even bother with a Blackberry. RIM is going bankrupt because their OS absolutely BLOWS.

Blackberry was never mentioned as an option but their QNX OS that they used in the playbook is probably the best OS I've seen on a tablet. It has great multitasking, great UI and great visuals. Just too bad Blackberry failed on their playbook launch and got too comfortable with their old OS.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#29 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:27 PM

But you never had an Android or a windows phone, so how can you compare? lol!

The galaxy is pretty darn good but the one flaw is the screen size (too big IMO). The Android's are all good as well, but the problem with them is that they release a new phone every other week... Both phones have better software than the iPhone but the iPhone is so simple to use (perfect for being on the go). Re-sale value is also much better.

I'd say go with which phone fits your lifestyle, I wouldn't get to interested in the specs, a millisecond won't make me choose one over the other.

LOL :P

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#30 DefCon1

DefCon1

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,403 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:37 PM

Yeah I'm the same, but I'll have to look into the S3 now, dont know anything about it, but I wont be able to leave Apple, just way too easy to use and it connects with my other apple devices.

Edit: Oh this is the S3... It looks like crap!

I don't really care about looks and hardware. All I care about is the software and right now, Android is beating Apple when it comes to their Jelly Bean OS compared to iOS 5. Now we will have to wait and see if Apple's iPhone 5 can beat the Jelly bean in terms of features and functions. As long as the hardware is decent enough, it will be good enough for me. Its the software that makes the phone, not really the hardware, that is why I might prefer Galaxy Nexus over S3, since it is a google phone made specifically for the OS and would be Android's most supported phone in terms of getting quick updates directly from google and having all the Android features work properly on it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.