The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

iPhone 5, Window 8 (Nokia) or Android Jelly Bean (Galaxy Nexus)

DefCon1

Which one do you guys think would be the best phone to get, since I will be upgrading my phone?

Am picking between iPhone 5 (iOS 6), Nokia Lumia (Windows 8) and Galaxy Nexus/Samsung Galaxy S3 (Android 4.1 Jelly Bean).

I really like Android since my current phone is an Android and Jelly bean 4.1 has one of the best voice searches in the market (yes, better than SIRI). Windows 8 has the best offline navigation/GPS with Nokia maps which covers a lot of countries. iPhone 5 is yet to be seen but they might also have a bunch of improvements and it could be a great phone.

Right now, I think Android is beating Apple in terms of making quick improvements to their OS (such as Voice search on Jelly Bean, offline mode for google maps and addition of google chrome browser, google wallet, S-Beam etc. ) Which one do you guys think would be the next best phone on the market once iPhone 5 is released?

I think right now I am close to picking Galaxy Nexus (since it is the Android's reference phone with updates coming directly from Google not Samsung) and also its a good Samsung phone. I think in terms of software, Android is at the cutting edge right now, ahead of Apple. I want to wait and see how the iPhone 5 will be (in terms of software and specs etc.) but am definitely leaning towards Android especially since I have an Android right now and I've been happy with it.

Here is the comparison of Jelly Bean's voice search vs. iPhone 4S Siri:

Obviously iPhone 5 will probably have an improved Siri, faster processor, etc. but I have been really impressed with how quickly Android tries to improve it's OS.

If you're contracting you ALWAYS go iPhone because it retains its value over time and has high resale value. Hell, even contracting into an iPhone, flipping it, and buying an Android device outright, you'll still pocket some money.

In terms of OS vs OS.

I don't even consider iOS as an operating system, iPhone is really just a bunch of apps (albeit, the best quality apps you can get).

Android if you love to customize or are in the minority of users that want to use advanced apps (ie: app that sends texts to your Google Chrome browser so you can text / respond from your computer).

I'd skip WP8 for now until it picks up steam. They really just f'ed over their entire early adopters by not allowing them to upgrade the OS, even for devices released weeks ago.

Archived