The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

iPhone 5, Window 8 (Nokia) or Android Jelly Bean (Galaxy Nexus)

DefCon1

Just stick with flagship phones is all I can say. I don't know about the Win8 phones, but iPhone and Galaxy Nexus will get their OS updates directly from Apple/Google while phones like the GS3 will go through carriers before the carriers push out the updates (can you update around for Android like you could with blackberry for carrier updates?)

I got an iPhone because I was tired of waiting for Telus not having a release date on the Galaxy S2 even when I called to find out. I like both OS's, I have an iPhone but an android tablet (ok maybe its an HP with a ported android OS on it :P) but both are great I think. The convenience with the iPhone I have found is so many things are made for it from portable radios, clock radios, etc. and nice cases are easy to find.

Basically go try them out when you can (when the iphone/nokia get released later this year) and just see which one of the 3 you like the best personally. You can ask people here but alot of people are fanboys to 1 or the other which is fine but you have to find what fits you best.

I'm having a tough time trying to decide too.

I'm a HUGE Apple fan. I love everything they make (quality) and how simple it is to use, but for the first time in awhile, I honestly feel like Android is ready to take over.

I really do enjoy my iPhone 4. The apps for iPhone are way better than Android and don't even tell me Android has the same. Yes, they have maybe like half of what iPhone users have, but it's usually after it is released for iPhone. The other thing that bugs me about Android is their app store. Because there are so many different phones running Android, some of the resolution of the apps are extremely bad, so to me it's basically a crap shoot on getting the right app for that amazing display on your Android.

The other problem with Android is, if you don't have a "popular" device, good luck getting an update. For example, my tablet still doesn't have Ice Cream Sandwhich and god damn jelly bean is out. I know it's like this for other phones and it's a pain in the ass. At least with Apple, you know you will be getting an update for all your devices even though some features might not work for older models, you will still get a decent update.

I used to have an iPad and then I got a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 because of a wicked deal, so I sold my iPad. What a freakin' mistake. I hate the Galaxy Tab and one of the main reasons is the app store. I know, I can't really compare a tablet to a phone, but if Apple can take care of the separation, Android should too.

Personally, Apple takes the cake when it comes to apps/entertainment, but I think if you want an overall phone that you actually need for other purposes than entertainment, then Android is the way to go.

Correct me if I am wrong on anything I said above. It's all hearsay from what my Android buddies are saying and a bit of research.

If Apple wants to take the reigns again (Not quite sure they lost it yet) then they need to make the iPhone 5 blow everyones pants off. If not, I might end up switching.

Really depends what kind of user you are:

1. Do you want something you can pick up, use and works seamlessly? iPhone

2. Do you want something you can tinker/tweak/modify? Android

3. What system are you integrating this with? (Mac? Linux? Windows?)

ANDROID

PROS

Ability to drag and drop any file types onto the phone

MicroSD Support (on Galaxy S3 Series)

Larger Screen Formats (although may change with the iPhone 5)

NFC Support (may change with iPhone 5)

Swappable Batteries

Widgets for Home Screens

CONS

Larger scale of phone (some people don't want a larger sized phone)

Apps can be less polished the iOS Apps (due to less stringent QC)

Google Play is fairly bare in regards to itunes

Having to wait for Phone Companies to port over OS

Viruses

iOS/iPHONE

PROS

Overall Polish (from hardware to software, Apple has done an amazing job with their quality control)

More approachable, Smooth UI (for the less tech saavy user)

More indepth Media/App/Store Infrastructure

More frequent OS Updates, never have to wait for them to port to your device (as it is all apple)

Better Camera (debatable, but from what I've seen, it's camera is definitely better calibrated then my S2's)

Great Customer Service/Support

Air Video (allows you to stream videos from your home computer, and live convert files)

Resale Value

CONS

Itunes is a pain if you're not on a Mac (sync issues)

No expandable memory

Cannot drag and drop all files (photos, but cannot drag and drop music, videos etc)

Non-removable battery

No widgets

Everyone will have their preferences, it's up to you to decide which system you want. In Androids case, it's an open format platform that allows you to manipulate, tweak and change to your liking. Issues with this methodology is that you have a lot of fragmentation and variations; which gives them less control over the consistency of the product.

In Apples case, it's a closed format platform that they control; from software down to the hardware, they've taken full control of it all and how it all works together. As a system, it's amazing, but if you break from the system (have a pc computer, an android tablet etc.) it can be less ideal.

I'd say if you have all apple products at the moment (or plan to), I would stick with apple. If you're mixed, then I'd recommend android. Sorry haven't had any experience with Windows phones, or how android devices interact with Macs.

Ipone easily. Despite apple being a little more harsh on programmers, their software, library of apps, is top notch. And yes, this is using Android PHone and apple phone. Androi apps tend to have a lot more ads, thus wasting time and download time. Apple easily. My next phone is probably iphone5. Nuff said.

Ipone easily. Despite apple being a little more harsh on programmers, their software, library of apps, is top notch. And yes, this is using Android PHone and apple phone. Androi apps tend to have a lot more ads, thus wasting time and download time. Apple easily. My next phone is probably iphone5. Nuff said.

I've had terrible experience with Galaxy 2. Maybe it was just my phone but I miss the reliability of apple. Sill have one iPhone 3GS which works like a charm.

I'm switching back to apple phones. It's the small things you don't notice with apple until you get a different phone. In terms of specs, Galaxy may be better, but I'd rather have a phone that works all the time. I'll share my experience with the Galaxy S2, and why I won't go back.

Galaxy S2 pros:

-The screen is amazing in sunlight

-I love the street view in google maps (my iPhone 3GS doesn't have it)

-When it works, it's a beauty

Galaxy S2 cons:

Problems

With the galaxy S2 in 9 months (had one or two problems with iPhone 3GS in about 3 years)

- the internet hotspot kept failing, and stopped working at random intervals

- the internet hotspot was terrible in speed compared to 3GS (iPhone was tethered via wire which may have made a difference, but Galaxy S2 doesn't tether with windows starter on my netbook when I was trying to stream hockey)

- one of the sensors turned off randomly (in the options screen) so when I turned my screen sideways, the screen didn't rotate; had to call them because I had no idea what was going on.

- Isn't as good as the iPhone in picking up wifi (always a weaker signal even at the same distance; noticed it with apple laptops versus windows laptops as well when I used on work on projects with my friends)

- one of the side button is sunk into the phone (hard to explain; it still works but the button doesn't click properly and it required effort to push in)

-this phone overheats a lot compared to my iPhone, but that can be due to the more powerful processor.

-When I try to comment on NHL pages, the screen starts to fly all over the place, and correcting a mistake is a nightmare since the sensor goes all wonky when I try to move to a specific letter within a word.

It's very possible you're being sarcastic. My internet sarcasm sensors are terrible, but either way, you should probably give this article a read. Blackberry are having some serious internal issues and their future is unclear at this point.

http://www.canadianb...over-leadership

It's a bit soon to make that judgment There's hardly any information released about the Iphone5 and I think it's mostly speculation anyways. I'm not saying it will be a better phone (I'm currently a Samsung guy) but when someone's asking for advice, you should just tell them what to do when you have no idea what you're talking about.

Archived