The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

iPhone 5, Window 8 (Nokia) or Android Jelly Bean (Galaxy Nexus)

DefCon1

No, there's nothing sarcastic about having a gun.

Honestly think Blackberry's are the best phones on the market, the chocolate bar phone with the keyboard is fantastic.

I can't stand touch screens anymore. I had a touchscreen LG and I even want to trade my Ipod Touch for an Ipod classic.

They were the 1st revolutionary company and nothing like supporting your own economy when you buy from the Canadian boys, Rim.

I'm like one of those religious crazy nutheads, you can't convince me otherwise.

I respect your decision in phones. Also rocking an old Bold 9700, was waiting for OS 10 but I don't think I can wait much longer.. (256mb internal memory, OS 7 took up 170 mbs after installing). The 9790 with the current OS will do me just fine, and with the dramatic increase in onboard memory it won't be too much of a problem when OS 10 does end up coming out.

People don't understand there are several people that don't want a touch screen to type.. Having fat thumbs and a touch screen doesn't work, my ipod touch is proof of that. I hate typing on iphones and touches. I'll always stick to a physical keyboard, and something that doesn't need a case (because I hate cases) and won't break if you drop it once only to pick up your shattered phone seconds later.

Having an iPhone and iPod touch, the only good thing about iOS is the smoothness of running apps -- Android is a bit more resource intensive and doesn't transition from app to app as smoothly. I've got virtually nothing positive to say about Windows Mobile, it's far too limiting for a user all around, not as smooth as iOS, not as feature friendly, customizable, and user-control-enabling as Android.

Having learned more about the Samsung Note and GLONASS, which is, especially in our hemisphere, perfectly on par with GPS, I'm likely going that route as I prefer a 5 inch screen for a tablet rather than the bulkier 7 and 10's, and can still fit the thing in my pockets, throw a tablet data plan on it, and have insane access to Google Voice and other data without need for a costly voice and text plan, and when driving in the US can access satellites on pre-loaded maps for navigation.

I respect your decision in phones. Also rocking an old Bold 9700, was waiting for OS 10 but I don't think I can wait much longer.. (256mb internal memory, OS 7 took up 170 mbs after installing). The 9790 with the current OS will do me just fine, and with the dramatic increase in onboard memory it won't be too much of a problem when OS 10 does end up coming out.

People don't understand there are several people that don't want a touch screen to type.. Having fat thumbs and a touch screen doesn't work, my ipod touch is proof of that. I hate typing on iphones and touches. I'll always stick to a physical keyboard, and something that doesn't need a case (because I hate cases) and won't break if you drop it once only to pick up your shattered phone seconds later.

• 3 weeks later...

The galaxy is pretty darn good but the one flaw is the screen size (too big IMO). The Android's are all good as well, but the problem with them is that they release a new phone every other week... Both phones have better software than the iPhone but the iPhone is so simple to use (perfect for being on the go). Re-sale value is also much better.

I'd say go with which phone fits your lifestyle, I wouldn't get to interested in the specs, a millisecond won't make me choose one over the other.

LOL :P

lol, Blackberry..... how can anyone say Blackberry is good. Terrible phones. OS is a dinosaur.

If you want, feel free to fall for Apple's marketing shenanigans, as someone else put it. They're not bad phones, but certainly not worth the price.

Android is great, I'd go for the S3. Samsung makes great phones.

Windows Phone 8 looks promising. I'm very excited to see how good it really can be. I adopted early and got WP7 when it first came out on a Samsung Focus. WP7.5 Mango has been great. Of course, because it's so new, there are some deficiencies, namely the number of apps, as well as customizability.

In terms of speed though, I've found WP7.5 to be faster than anything else I've tried. To be fair, while I did mention the number of apps is much lower than iOS or Android, you have to take into account the length of time WP7 has been around. If you look at the time vs. the number of apps, WP7 actually hit 100k apps faster than either iOS or Android.

I think WP8 has loads of potential, although it may be too soon to adopt. I will admit that going the WP7 route was a bit premature, but I don't regret it.

I bought the Samsung Note, it fits in my pocket, and therefore is an ideal tablet size too (for me at least, I hate the large tablets) in addition to the specs.

I cancelled out my current nonsensical voice+msg+data+voicemail/callerid/forward bundle crap plan and convinced Bell to put me into a tablet data only plan. I tricked Google Voice into allowing me to register a Canadian number, downloaded both GV and Talkatone and now just pay $20-$35/month for far more talking than I do per month, plus voicemail, plus caller ID, plus tons more data left over, mainly because Android allows Talkatone and GV to essentially take over the device to make and receive calls/txts, something iOS devices never let me do without jailbreaking, and don't even think about Windows.

I bought the Samsung Note, it fits in my pocket, and therefore is an ideal tablet size too (for me at least, I hate the large tablets) in addition to the specs.

I cancelled out my current nonsensical voice+msg+data+voicemail/callerid/forward bundle crap plan and convinced Bell to put me into a tablet data only plan. I tricked Google Voice into allowing me to register a Canadian number, downloaded both GV and Talkatone and now just pay $20-$35/month for far more talking than I do per month, plus voicemail, plus caller ID, plus tons more data left over, mainly because Android allows Talkatone and GV to essentially take over the device to make and receive calls/txts, something iOS devices never let me do without jailbreaking, and don't even think about Windows.

Well no, that's why I went over to a flex tablet data plan.

I've used WiFi mainly for bigger downloads like 4-6gb of offline maps for Canada and the US.

Interesting thing is I suspect that the Big 3 throttle data going to servers like Talkatone, but pull off the throttle on Youtube clips or tablet TV.

When downloading videos these LTE speeds rival my DSL connection.

Archived