Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

iPhone 5, Window 8 (Nokia) or Android Jelly Bean (Galaxy Nexus)

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#91 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:27 AM

How did you manage to get GV to work?

GV works fine I don't understand the manage part ..

"When Jonah's agent called him and said Quentin Tarantino wanted to put him in a spaghetti western [Django Unchained], Jonah was like, 'You had me at spaghetti.'"

"Aziz has been charming audiences and snakes for years. And I guess you’re here tonight because now that Kanye had a real baby he doesn’t need you anymore."

-- Jeff Ross

#92 GoaltenderInterference

GoaltenderInterference

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,790 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:14 AM

GV works fine I don't understand the manage part ..

I think he's asking how you "tricked" GV into accepting a Canadian number

Press the Panic Button! Posted Image

Posted Image
Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien, Wade Belak, Lokomotiv Jaroslavl
Sig by .CM.

#93 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:32 AM

I think he's asking how you "tricked" GV into accepting a Canadian number

This is something I had to find out for myself as Google searches are somewhat with outdated information on the subject and obviously posting this on Google's forums probably gets it deleted.

The only area code I could register was 403 which is Alberta.

Now, according to said searches, there was a way you could outright register a Canadian number but that process has now been blocked. As to how.. because during the sign-up process you need to enter a forwarding number, for which Google made sure to bug for registering 403 area code numbers rendering that invalid.

What people don't get is that you can still get that area code, but.. you have to pay.

When I moved from the US back to Canada I ported my US AT&T number to Google Voice. Note that when signing up you need to use an American IP as it won't even give you the option to register. Once having a fully registered GV it will work fine with Canadian IPs. Anyhow, we also had a US magic jack number that was a NY area code which we used as a forwarding number when I ported my AT&T number over, so a forwarding number was already established.

So, when I went to change to the 403 area code I didn't need to add a forwarding number because it was already in their system, so there were no barriers to complete the transaction.

I was charged $10 to change my existing number, then $20 because I also wanted to keep my old number, so now I have my old US AT&T number and 403 area code number on the same account. In the event of two permanent numbers, which is somewhat of an anomaly, there needs to always be one primary, although people can text and call both numbers and you would receive it the same, but the primary number is the number people would see when you text or call them.

Talkatone, which uses your GV account (and is safe), is available in the Play Store for free, but getting GV is tricky because if you're registered as a Canadian, or if you are using a Canadian IP, the Play Store won't let you search for GV, never mind give you the option if you click a link in a web browser to open it in the Play Store. However, it's easy as hell to find a GV .apk file to make Android install it anyways without Play.

You can make the Talkatone app take over for the "Phone" app so when receiving calls Android prioritizes Talkatone. With Premium Talkatone you can also text on it but I find the GV app (which cannot make calls) is more option and UI friendly for texting plus can easily be prioritized for texts like Talkatone can be for voice calls.

With that in mind, I bought my Samsung Note, which is normally priced at $720, for $150 3 year subsidized price.. I called Bell a week later and had them cancel out my voice plan (a $200 charge) and all that nonsense and after an hour of badgering them made them change my Note over to a $20 - $35 flex tablet plan (500mb - 5gb), so not only did I basically pay only $350 instead of $720 (plus HST), I can use Talkatone/GV call and text my heart's desire anywhere in the US and Canada (plus having family/friends in both countries call me without paying international fees or buying into some international plan) without getting nickel and dimed every month for ridiculous voice+text+voicemail/callerID/forwarding+data+other add-on prices, instead getting a simple data only monthly price. Both apps have built-in caller ID's so you know who is texting/calling (unless they block their number when calling, obviously). This is not something I was able to do with my iPhone (iOS), nor my wife's Blackberry, nor her HTC Touch (Windows) because of their proprietary software not allowing users the option of having certain apps take over the device without in essence "jailbreaking" it.

"When Jonah's agent called him and said Quentin Tarantino wanted to put him in a spaghetti western [Django Unchained], Jonah was like, 'You had me at spaghetti.'"

"Aziz has been charming audiences and snakes for years. And I guess you’re here tonight because now that Kanye had a real baby he doesn’t need you anymore."

-- Jeff Ross

#94 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,318 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:21 PM

I bought the Samsung Note, it fits in my pocket, and therefore is an ideal tablet size too (for me at least, I hate the large tablets) in addition to the specs.

I cancelled out my current nonsensical voice+msg+data+voicemail/callerid/forward bundle crap plan and convinced Bell to put me into a tablet data only plan. I tricked Google Voice into allowing me to register a Canadian number, downloaded both GV and Talkatone and now just pay $20-$35/month for far more talking than I do per month, plus voicemail, plus caller ID, plus tons more data left over, mainly because Android allows Talkatone and GV to essentially take over the device to make and receive calls/txts, something iOS devices never let me do without jailbreaking, and don't even think about Windows.

Don't you need wifi then to make calls?

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#95 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:03 PM

Don't you need wifi then to make calls?

Well no, that's why I went over to a flex tablet data plan.

I've used WiFi mainly for bigger downloads like 4-6gb of offline maps for Canada and the US.

Interesting thing is I suspect that the Big 3 throttle data going to servers like Talkatone, but pull off the throttle on Youtube clips or tablet TV.

When downloading videos these LTE speeds rival my DSL connection.

Edited by zaibatsu, 04 August 2012 - 09:05 PM.

-- Jeff Ross

#96 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,318 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:29 PM

Well no, that's why I went over to a flex tablet data plan.

I've used WiFi mainly for bigger downloads like 4-6gb of offline maps for Canada and the US.

Interesting thing is I suspect that the Big 3 throttle data going to servers like Talkatone, but pull off the throttle on Youtube clips or tablet TV.

When downloading videos these LTE speeds rival my DSL connection.

Ah I get it now, very clever.

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.