Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

What Gillis wants vs. what Tallon wants to give

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
135 replies to this topic

Poll: What Gillis wants vs. what Tallon wants to give (209 member(s) have cast votes)

Which of these young talented players would you most want to come back in a deal for lu ( huberdeau, gudbranson probably not gonna happen )

1. Quinton Howden (30 votes [14.42%])

Percentage of vote: 14.42%

2. Nick Bjugstad (122 votes [58.65%])

Percentage of vote: 58.65%

3. Dmitry Kulikov (56 votes [26.92%])

Percentage of vote: 26.92%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 iinatcc

iinatcc

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:16 AM

TO VAN:
Theodore
Matthias
Bjugstad

TO FLORIDA:
Luongo
Raymond

Vancouver might have to give up a 1st round pick for that to work.

#122 Mack Attack

Mack Attack

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:50 AM

I'm not great at proposals, but:

Bjugstad/Howden (whichever the Canucks would prefer)
Theodore
Goc/Matthias/Upshall
possibly a pick (depends which forward is moved)

for

Luongo

Or maybe add Versteeg and Schroder from their respective sides.

So Luongo and Schroeder for Versteeg, Bjugstad and Theodore? I think that's pretty fair value. I'd probably do it.

As for the people saying Theodore wouldn't waive his NTC because of taxes, don't you think he'd like to have a good shot at the cup? He's getting old and would have a better chance next year in VAN than with Florida. Even if it is as a backup.

#123 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:38 AM

I wouldnt mind Scottie Upshall he would be a great fit on the 3rd line and on the PK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e15nwUFuvNU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w68wgjU5318

Too small "in our team"
Kevin.jpg

#124 bd71

bd71

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:36 AM

I don't see a trade with Florida happening. There is not enough desire or need for goaltending from their standpoint to give up a whole lot for Lou.

This is what I've been thinking. Why is Tallon going to give up the packages you guys are all asking for when he doesn't need Luongo. The Panthers made the playoffs and went to double OT in the seventh game against the Stanley Cup finalists. They are stacked with young talent on D, in goal and up front. I'm thinking they are poised to make a solid run. I can't see why Tallon breaks up all his great work to acquire a goalie he doesn't need.

#125 Truman

Truman

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:48 AM

This is what I've been thinking. Why is Tallon going to give up the packages you guys are all asking for when he doesn't need Luongo. The Panthers made the playoffs and went to double OT in the seventh game against the Stanley Cup finalists. They are stacked with young talent on D, in goal and up front. I'm thinking they are poised to make a solid run. I can't see why Tallon breaks up all his great work to acquire a goalie he doesn't need.

You could not have said it better. Panthers problem last year was not goaltending or the defense. Scoring is the Panthers biggest need.

#126 gordfish

gordfish

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:57 AM

A couple of thoughts...

Don't think Theodore will waive his NTC to come here, given that he'd be the clear backup. There are places he can go where he can still be a 1a goalie. Look for the Canucks to sign Crys Huet after the Luongo deal gets done. He has a history with Roland Melanson.

I think Versteeg is the player Gillis has targeted in Florida. I think if Gillis was willing to take a secondary prospect like Skille or Seabrooke and Tallon was willing to take Raymond or ballard back in the deal, it would get done in 5 minutes.

The way I see it, Gillis is asking for Versteeg, Howden, a first round pick and that Tallon takes Raymond or Ballard back in the deal, whereas Tallon is likely offering Versteeg, a secondary prospect and the pick for Luongo alone.

When this finally gets done, I think we may find that it involves another team in a deal with either Van or FLA that gets done shortly after Lou gets moved. e.g. Tallon takes Raymond and flips him and Theodore to a team that still needs goaltending.

#127 bd71

bd71

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:02 AM

It's not about goaltending, it's about having a player that can put butts in seats..........they desperately need a face for their franchise, they haven't had one since Lu left........they need to sell tix in a bad way.

The Panthers just had their second best season ever attendance wise. We have a winter place relatively close to the BAC and this was the first year in a long time that there were no $10 dollar Sundays or 4 lower bowl tickets, plus parking, plus food for $200. They had something like 20 sellouts and I wasn't there during the playoffs but it apparently got pretty exciting.

Luongo never sold tickets when he was there the first time. Winning sells tickets. They are starting to win and their division is not looking overly strong. This is about to be a big era for Florida Panthers hockey. I don't know if Luongo helps that any.

#128 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:10 AM

Someone correct me if im wrong, but isnt Upshall the guy who hates Kesler?? Didnt he make some comment about how much he hates him when we was still with the Flyers??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPCbol-sisM

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#129 Ray Canuck

Ray Canuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:33 AM

Given a chance to pick up a top shelf goalie is never a bad idea.
Does FLA need him? Maybe not but no way would he hurt & I'd argue he'd improve the team!
Panthers were 25th on the PK last year; far better at home vs on the road and middle of the pack in OT.
Panthers were outscored 3 to 1 on 4 on 4 situations and have a negative balance 5 on 5 play
The last 10 games of the season Florida was deal last with a 2-3-5 record.
All of this points to the fact the net position can be improved IMO.
To say the net is solid in FLA is a matter of opinion still Lou would improve a few of the above stats!
I think Tallon's issue is giving up a prospect. I say it is a greater gamble on the Canucks part as a prospect is just that & Lou is proven.
But I still think Chicago is a more likely destination even TO.
I'm not sold on Florida actually wanting to pursue a Stanley Cup in earnest, making the playoffs seems good enough without having to break the bank on players capable of going all the way.
Posted Image
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Mark Twain

#130 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:58 AM

Toronto is the best fit for Luongo out of any team that really needs him but I do not think Luongo is waiving to go there. I think as we get towards training camp. Lui will change his tune and open up his options.

Chicago is a long shot . They would like him but not for the kings ransom we would need because we might have to face Luongo in the first round. It would have to be over payment.

So its really Toronto and his destination , Florida . The Panthers dont need him but their goaltending is over rated . Both are older goalies . One underachieved after a brilliant start but has sucked everywhere else. The other is a career back up. Both combined equal 2.7mil bucks cap hit and it aint because they took steep discounts.

Leafs are the best opportunity for Luongo to regain his all star status and be the hero of the flailing franchise. I just think he needs convincing to go there.
Posted Image

#131 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:09 PM

Panthers fan here.....

Youre hilarious!

#132 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

I wouldn't mind a package of Theodore, Skille, and a 1st rounder for just Luongo.
* I'd expect this to be the package with maybe more if were giving something more.   Sort of mirrors the Luongo trade in '06.

I don't really know what type of player Skille is or could become, but if he were to come to us in a deal for Lui, we would be his third NHL team in 7 years. He has barely held on to an NHL job the last few years so not sure what MG would see in him or where he would fit into our lineup as a right winger.Now that I think about it, MG's moneyball philosophy may make Skille just the type of player he is looking for.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#133 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:17 PM

I don't really know what type of player Skille is or could become, but if he were to come to us in a deal for Lui, we would be his third NHL team in 7 years. He has barely held on to an NHL job the last few years so not sure what MG would see in him or where he would fit into our lineup as a right winger.Now that I think about it, MG's moneyball philosophy may make Skille just the type of player he is looking for.

I agree , he is a moneyball player. He's floated around a bit but he does have some skill and grit than our bottom six could use. I wouldn't having him and Weise compete for 12th and 13th...

I think my potential package is a bit weak but I don't think we'll get any of Florida's top prospects (or young players) (Howden, Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Markstrom, Gudbranson, Kulikov) * forgetting one not Petrovic

If we could get Marcel Goc, that would be pretty sick.

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#134 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:32 PM

yes.
sad it will happen....

Schnieder bring back the best return too. Luongo can mentor Lack.
Posted Image

#135 nucksovereverything

nucksovereverything

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:09 PM

i heard that florida's offer included Jose Theodore and Kris Versteeg

#136 Mack Attack

Mack Attack

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:35 AM

i heard that florida's offer included Jose Theodore and Kris Versteeg

I'd do it. Try to get Bjugstad or another good prospect as well.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.